Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2006   #1
rockcoastmedia

rockcoastmedia has a spectacular aura aboutrockcoastmedia has a spectacular aura aboutrockcoastmedia has a spectacular aura about
SE friendly DHTML

I know that many search spiders have trouble following drop down menues that are created using DHTML. Can someone provide me with a good set of rules for coding a DHTML file that is SE friendly, or even point to a site where I can just view the source code?
rockcoastmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #2
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
I really can't help on this because I'm not familiar with coding DHTML, but I do know that there is a free script out there somewhere (can't remember where I found it) that's a JS drop-down menu, but provides a CGI alternative for user agents that don't support Javascript.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #3
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
Hi rockcoastmedia

Try 'Suckerfish', and 'Sons of Suckerfish'. They should give you the result that you want.

There are code examples for both horizontal and vertical menu menu versions, with multiple levels of flyouts. Validates, spiderable, and standards based.

http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/

Enjoy!
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #4
rockcoastmedia

rockcoastmedia has a spectacular aura aboutrockcoastmedia has a spectacular aura aboutrockcoastmedia has a spectacular aura about
thanks for the site, I will check it out.
Old 02-08-2006   #5
rockcoastmedia

JavaScript drop down

Does anyone know if the drop downs created when using Macromedia products such as Fireworks will be spiderable? I am just not sure what makes a drop down spiderable and what does not.
Old 02-08-2006   #6
rogerd

rogerd is a jewel in the roughrogerd is a jewel in the roughrogerd is a jewel in the roughrogerd is a jewel in the rough
Rockcoastmedia, there are a couple of ways to check spiderability. One simple one is to turn off Javascript and see if you can navigate the site. If not, not only will you have spiderablity problems but you'll have problems with the small but significant fraction of users who don't have javascript enabled.

My preferred method is to simulate a relatively dumb spider with a program like Xenu - if you can't find a lot of your content on the final report, neither will most search engines.

I'd be cautious of code generated by a WYSIWIG program. I haven't checked this feature in Dreamweaver, but auto-produced code tends to be rather bloated.
rogerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #7
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Suckerfish dropdowns look neat but until IE supports CSS3 or Hover they're not too useful is what I hear.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #8
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
I remembered the name of one of their other scripts and found the site that has the script that uses JS menus with the CGI/Perl alternative for when JS isn't enabled.

http://www.interactivetools.com/free...s/jumpbox.html
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #9
Kate

Kate is on a distinguished road
You can also put up a sitemap that lets spiders crawl all your pages, even without the js. It isn't the most friendly way for humans without javascript to visit your site, but at least that way you're sure spiders can get down to all the pages.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #10
NuevoJefe

NuevoJefe is on a distinguished road
I would attempt a CSS/javascript styled menu instead; one that's crawlable.
NuevoJefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #11
fthead9

fthead9 is on a distinguished road
css dropdowns instead of dhtml

Try CSS dropdown menus. The links are fully indexible and you have a lot of options for look and feel. This is a good article on it, http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns/
You can see an example on a site we finished recently here www.crnhome.com.
fthead9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #12
Phil Mac

Phil Mac will become famous soon enoughPhil Mac will become famous soon enough
CSS is the new DHTML

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...rome/index.htm

This should resolve your problems a full CSS dropdown menu pretty easy to install and if you know much about css very easy to customise. It's cross browser compatible and from the looks of the code its W3C compliant althougt i've not tested it.

If you lack the HTML or CSS skills to convert this to your site Contact Me maybe I can help you out.

Last edited by Phil Mac : 02-09-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Phil Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #13
fmj

fmj is on a distinguished road
Sons of Suckerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
Suckerfish dropdowns look neat but until IE supports CSS3 or Hover they're not too useful is what I hear.
user a : IE with JS
user b: IE without JS

I think that Suckerfish menus are perfectly usable to user a, plus SEO-friendly (nothing more than an unordered list).

Suckerfish menus use DHTML to recreate pseudo-elements via classes in IE, thus bypassing CSS3 requirements:
e.g.
CSS3-compliant: li:hover
IE: li.hover

If you code them well, then they are perfectly usable to user b as well. Use DHTML to hide and expand the menus, rather than simply expand them. That way both user a and user b can use them. In the example with the two users, user a could view a more compact menu than user b, but with the same amount of menu items available.
fmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #14
cellconversion
Pinoy Money Talk

cellconversion is on a distinguished road
Arrow The Sucker Fish Example

Try scavenging thru the alistapart.com site and you'll find some of the variations for the SUCKER FISH example. I tried using it in one of my projects and it worked ok, though you would need some "hack" to make it work properly for IE.

But generally you can start from there and you can tweak some elements of the script.
cellconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #15
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Mel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really nice
If you want a tool that will create elegant CSS dropdown menus in just about any style you choose and that does not use the hidden divs that so many of these do, you can look at the commercial package called Pop Menu Magic I from projectseven.com.

It only works with Dreamweaver and costs something like $90 but if thats the way you work it may just solve all your menu problems from now on.

FYI this uses CSS to style lists into menus and does not use the hidden divs that Google seems to object to.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote