Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2006   #1
fulton savage

fulton savage is on a distinguished road
My Daily AdWords Budget Runs Out

So I log into my account this morning only to be greeted by a message at the top of my campaign management screen telling me that my ads have the potential to be exposed to 85% more impressions. In my campaign status column, one of my campaigns reads

Active
want more clicks?

Google wants me to increase my daily budget on this campaign by 180% so they can offer me an (estimated) additional 1704 clicks a month.

Gave us all a good laugh. I wish my daily budget would be spread throughout the daily like my other campaigns...this campaign runs out of funds before noon any day of the week.

I advertise in the US only.

My questions:
Is anyone else getting (noticeably) price gouged like this? This is only campaign that gets runned-all-out each day before EAST COAST lunchtime.

Is this notice / marketing advice from G new or something that has been happening?
fulton savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #2
integramed
Search Engine Marketing for a U.S. Network of Fertility Clinics

integramed has a spectacular aura aboutintegramed has a spectacular aura about
Interesting. I use AdWords every day and I've never seen this message. I watch CTRs and I watch clicks.. but it's conversions I'm really interested in, and cost/conversion.
integramed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #3
fulton savage

Well our daily budget is maxed out each day--our advertising budget decisions have to take into account our maximum exposure. It seems as if G will spend as much money as we throw at them, but Y! will deliver us (literally) 3 million impressions in a week. Not to turn this into a Y! discussion, but there's hardly that many potential customers in our market.

Anyways, my point is that this is happening because our ads are yanked before the end of the day (our money is gone). Really hurts west coast sales, but a budget is a budget.

edit: typo
Old 02-07-2006   #4
ApogeeWebLLC
dork

ApogeeWebLLC is on a distinguished road
Does this campaign have the content network turned on? If so, are most of your clicks from search ads or content ads? If you are getting a fair amount if hits from the content network, consider splitting your campaign in two. This way, your content hits won't, in effect, disable your search ad campaign.
ApogeeWebLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #5
fulton savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApogeeWebLLC
Does this campaign have the content network turned on? If so, are most of your clicks from search ads or content ads? If you are getting a fair amount if hits from the content network, consider splitting your campaign in two. This way, your content hits won't, in effect, disable your search ad campaign.
Our campaigns are already split. This was a content network only campaign. It seems no matter what tweaks I make, we can't last 24 hours on our daily budget. I feel the only alternative at this point is to lower our positions, but I don't want to kill our CTRs.

Example: today's funds are exhausted now on all of our campaigns (8PM Eastern)--west coast business hours are just ending and since we're B2B we need to be advertising right now. I wish G could ration out our budget instead of demanding more money.

edit: in bold
Old 02-07-2006   #6
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
fulton savage, the AdWords system is designed to spread your impressions out over the 24 hour day and typically it operates in just that way.

When it the system is not able to do space delivery over the course of the 24 hour day, however, it's a reliable sign that the daily budget is substantially lower than that which would be required to safely show your ad 24/7. It means that impressions are occuring so quickly that the system can not effectively start and stop the delivery of your ad to stretch it out over the 24 hour period.

Given that you'd prefer exposure over more of the day, but prefer not to raise your daily budget or lower your Max CPC, then I'd suggest streamlining your keyword list so that it includes only the keywords you consider most important (however you choose to define that, whether it is CTR, ROI, Cost Per Acquisition, etc.)

Having fewer keywords will allow your remaining (and more important) keywords to show more often within your preferred budget.

Quote:
Is anyone else getting (noticeably) price gouged like this? This is only campaign that gets runned-all-out each day before EAST COAST lunchtime.

Is this notice / marketing advice from G new or something that has been happening?
The email you're referring to is in response to ongoing requests from advertisers, who'd like to be informed when they're missing impressions due to a low daily budget.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #7
cline
Aderit Internet Marketing Consulting: www.Aderit.com

cline has a spectacular aura aboutcline has a spectacular aura about
fulton savage, I suspect that your campaign design is seriously mis-aligned with your objectives. It sounds like you are shooting for the moon and are missing your real target market. Pare down to just the best-performing, most relevant targeting.
cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #8
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Are you tracking desired actions down to a keyword level on your campaigns?
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #9
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
I love how everyone now asks about tracking right off the bat.... though I realise most people here are ahead of the curve... even our posts show the increased awareness and indepth use of tracking.

Since you have separated content and search I will ask a few possibly obvious questions:

Are you working negatives?
How deep do you go with your campaigns - separate words per campaign allow separate daily budgets...
Have you tried Day Parting? What set hours convert best and worst?
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #10
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Also, if your ads are converting at an acceptable CPA, is it possible to ask for an increased budget? I realize this isn't always an option but if you can illustrate how many sales you're leaving on the table with your current budget, it's often easy to find more dollars.

If your CPA is higher than you need it to be, then certainly take a deeper look at day parts, keywords, negatives, site exclusion, etc. as others have suggested.

HTH

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #11
fulton savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep
Given that you'd prefer exposure over more of the day, but prefer not to raise your daily budget or lower your Max CPC, then I'd suggest streamlining your keyword list so that it includes only the keywords you consider most important (however you choose to define that, whether it is CTR, ROI, Cost Per Acquisition, etc.)

Having fewer keywords will allow your remaining (and more important) keywords to show more often within your preferred budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cline
fulton savage, I suspect that your campaign design is seriously mis-aligned with your objectives. It sounds like you are shooting for the moon and are missing your real target market. Pare down to just the best-performing, most relevant targeting.
Reducing the scope of the campaigns is something I'll try. I wouldn't say any of my efforts are unrealistic, however, because we're pulling record sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel deMib Svendsen
Are you tracking desired actions down to a keyword level on your campaigns?
No. All sales are handled by sales reps on telephones. My job is to get people to call us and buy software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
Are you working negatives?
How deep do you go with your campaigns - separate words per campaign allow separate daily budgets...
Have you tried Day Parting? What set hours convert best and worst?
Yes. Our ads are targeted, we recently calculated 55% of all sales are from G and Y! click ads.

My campaigns are very spliced. I'd call them the 'third generation' since I've overhauled them twice over the past 8 months. Our budget can be split however we'd like, but it never lasts 24 hours.

I didn't think G could run my ads during certain hours without outside software or manually turning it on and off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel66
Also, if your ads are converting at an acceptable CPA, is it possible to ask for an increased budget?
There is no definitive mechanism to associate clicks to sales because we don't offer online ordering--this would be a turn off to potential customers. Our software essentially runs our client's business, and is subscription based. They have to committ to our product and grow used to communicating with us on at least a quarterly basis.
Old 02-08-2006   #12
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
You need some better software.... our sales are off line as well but we can get them down to keywords... we use a combination of WebSideStory and SalesForce to track offline sales to online search and it works great.
Old 02-08-2006   #13
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Totally agree, Aussie. Off line sales tracking is a bit more tricky than online sales but it is indeed possible. And then, once you know exactly how much you profit (ROI) on each keyword you should be able to argue for a more flexible budget - that is, if your team can actually handle the sales. I Mean, if every dollar invested in PPC gives you 4 dollars in profits (or whatever the possitive ROI actually is) why put a limit to that?
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #14
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel deMib Svendsen
Totally agree, Aussie. Off line sales tracking is a bit more tricky than online sales but it is indeed possible. And then, once you know exactly how much you profit (ROI) on each keyword you should be able to argue for a more flexible budget - that is, if your team can actually handle the sales. I Mean, if every dollar invested in PPC gives you 4 dollars in profits (or whatever the possitive ROI actually is) why put a limit to that?
I agree this is a zero sum game....

I am working on finishing a book on PPC and the front art is a dollar bill going in one end of a machine and coming out as a five at the other end!
Old 02-08-2006   #15
fulton savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
You need some better software...
Thanks for the recommendation. This whole PPC thing is something I've only been doing for the past year...my bag is really design and SEO.

Sounds like the suggestions coming out of this thread (for original issue) can be summed up to. . .

1. increase ad targeting by reducing keyword diversity and increasing negatives
2. increase budget
Old 02-08-2006   #16
AussieWebmaster

You're getting the idea fast!
Old 02-08-2006   #17
cline
Aderit Internet Marketing Consulting: www.Aderit.com

cline has a spectacular aura aboutcline has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulton savage
Reducing the scope of the campaigns is something I'll try. I wouldn't say any of my efforts are unrealistic, however, because we're pulling record sales. ... Our ads are targeted, we recently calculated 55% of all sales are from G and Y! click ads.

There is no definitive mechanism to associate clicks to sales because we don't offer online ordering....
Your problems are simple:

1. Your budget is too small. If you are this successful with PPC, why on earth are you limiting yourself to such a small spend?

2. You need a conversion tracking mechinism for lead generation. It's not as simple as with ecommerce, but it is routinely possible, and for all of my lead generation clients I've been able to find a solution that works for them.
cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #18
fulton savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cline
1. Your budget is too small. If you are this successful with PPC, why on earth are you limiting yourself to such a small spend?

2. You need a conversion tracking mechinism for lead generation. It's not as simple as with ecommerce, but it is routinely possible, and for all of my lead generation clients I've been able to find a solution that works for them.
1. I am not making any of the decisions involving dollars. I evaluate patterns, optimize, tweak, and evaluate patterns.
2. Pretty obvious at this point, I suppose.

Aussie where I can read more about the book?
Old 02-08-2006   #19
ApogeeWebLLC
dork

ApogeeWebLLC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulton savage
1. increase ad targeting by reducing keyword diversity and increasing negatives
2. increase budget
Regarding #1, consider bidding separately on exact (and possible phrase) matches as well as adding negative keywords. For example, let's suppose you have this keyword list in an ad group with a default bid of 50 cents:

fantastic software
buy fantastic software

This could be optimized to something more along these lines:

fantastic software
[fantastic software] ** 0.90
buy fantastic software
[buy fantastic software] ** 1.50
-buggy
-microsoft
-windows
-bloat

Since Google's broad matching system has gotten rather broad, you could even lower your bids on any broad match phrases. Either increase your exact match bids above the default or lower the broad ones below the default. You get the idea. This will help when analyzing your account because you'll see the precise ad position on the exact phrases. Also, if you have way more impressions on the broad matches than the exact matches, you'll know you've got more refining to do, either by layering in more exact matches or more negative phrases. And, do add negative phrases on a daily or weekly basis until you're content with the ad groups performance. Your CTR will go up, you'll be able to lower your CPC without sacrificing position and you'll be able to increase your budget.
ApogeeWebLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #20
fulton savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApogeeWebLLC
Since Google's broad matching system has gotten rather broad, you could even lower your bids on any broad match phrases. Either increase your exact match bids above the default or lower the broad ones below the default. You get the idea.
Great advice, but I use no broad match. All keywords are exact match or phrase match. I am now brainstorming more negatives to implement.

Thanks