Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Search Marketing (PPC Ads)
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2005   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Wish List for Yahoo! PPC Marketing

Okay it is not for Santa, but Yahoo! is having its Global Sales Meeting Jan. 10-13 and they are looking for a list of things we would like to see added to their program.... so let's start a wish list and I will pass it along (or the rep will see it here!!!)

Mine is please do not go to the Google bid based system....
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005   #2
Wavy Davy
Go Chelsea!

Wavy Davy is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine is please do go to the Google system

David

Last edited by dannysullivan : 12-21-2005 at 03:04 PM. Reason: no links in sigs per forum faq
Wavy Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005   #3
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
I want to be able to use a display URL in the ad and a different one to direct the searcher-to. Is that so hard to police?
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005   #4
cline
Aderit Internet Marketing Consulting: www.Aderit.com

cline has a spectacular aura aboutcline has a spectacular aura about
1. Close the UK customer service operation. Lay off everyone. Start over, preferably not in the UK. Location suggestion: Newfoundland or Nova Scotia.

2. I don't think Y can avoid going to an eCPM basis. It's simply much more profitable than their old GoTo model. But what would be cool is to retain the transpanrency. Let us know what the bids are and Y's projected eCPM for each ad so we can use the information to inform our bidding. This would allow Y to retain the one feature of their system that is dramatically better than G's system and allow them to earn eCPMs comparable to what G earns.
cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005   #5
B-Double-U

B-Double-U will become famous soon enough
I am sure that I have posted on this before, mostly by complaint, instead of request of new features......so, I apologize if it sounds a little jaded.

I would like to see the Direct traffic center function properly. I.e. remember sort order for subsequent pages. Remember time frame for subsequent pages. Proper use of Tab index to keep searches within the account from simply refreshing the page. Searchability from within one category is only possible on the first page of results, otherwise you are transferred to the "all listings" category.

Clarification on whether or not we are charged for clicks that stem from the accounts screens and DTC.

Many of the reports are described as having certain fields that they do not contain.

I personally need another level of categorization. Category, subcategory, and keyword.

I would like to see ads and keywords with the ability to change a URL without sending it back through the review process (as long as the domain is the same). If this cannot be done, then the ability to have multiple url's at each category level, match type and content match, for tracking purposes.

Keyword submission confirmation emails don't contain the terms, total # of terms submitted, category submitted to or the date of submission within them. When you submit on a daily basis, you need to know which ones were approved...not that 4 terms were approved and 4 were declined...

Please remove cAsE sensitivity from the search function within the DTC.

U.S. traffic only option.

The ability to drop partner sites that are not converting as well would be nice

Something also needs to be done with words that bear different meanings in different orders.. Everything seems to be displayed and used in alphabetical order. (free dye) and (dye free) mean two completely and unrelated things. The one with the most searched terms will eventually knock out the other. This means that there will eventually be NO relevant ads for a search that may have only had minimally fewer searches or volume overall.
B-Double-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #6
shilly
SMM

shilly is a jewel in the roughshilly is a jewel in the roughshilly is a jewel in the rough
Assuming they are still planning convert to a Google type of format, please add the ability to "pause" individual ads in each adgroup.

Ability to track and set ROAS/CPA goals in the DTC

Ability to shut accounts off and on automatically on set days and times (not slow them down).

Ability for the DTC to make me a hot cup of coffee and a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich every morning.
shilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #7
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
I'm also with Brad Ranks in that it would be nice to be able to customize the reports and choose/order the columns, etc, so that they can matchup with my template.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #8
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
1. Please don't go to the Google-based ranking model.
2. Please reconsider the shorter ad copy decision.
3. Fix the DTC. As others have already described.
4. Standardize the editorial reviews so ads that have been running for years don't get rejected when all that was changed was a price.
5. Add some real customer service and train your reps. Also actually respond to inquiries from your "Platinum" advertisers.

Those are the biggies, there are a host more but those are the biggies.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #9
PortofDreams
Web Development & Marketing

PortofDreams is on a distinguished road
Wish List

I second the notion for adding another categorization layer.

Also, allow us to control costs on Category level.

ie:
Account: Widgets ($500 / Day Max)
- Category: Widget1 ($300/Day)
- Category: Widget2 ($200/Day)

or better yet

Account: Widgets ($500 / Day Max)

- Category: Widget1
- Sub-Category: Branded ($200/Day)
- Sub-Category: Unbranded ($100/Day)

- Category: Widget2 ($200/Day)
PortofDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #10
B-Double-U

B-Double-U will become famous soon enough
A couple more changes:

There should be an option in the DTC to not show offline listings within the results if you desire. On that same note, offline and online look very similar to someone that has been staring spreadsheets all day. You could make one "ON" and the other one "Offline", maybe even color code them green and red respectively..

I do like the idea of being able to make global changes at the campain or category level. I would use this often.

Adding category navigation to the left of the keywords would also reduce the need to reload pages just to get to another section. I would think that a fair amount of the load generated from the DTC is due to poor navigation and people just trying to jump from one place to the next. Currently you are required to load a page that pulls info just to get to the page that has the proper nav on it.

For new keywords, the bid amount should not be reflected for content match as being the same bid amount.
B-Double-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #11
cline
Aderit Internet Marketing Consulting: www.Aderit.com

cline has a spectacular aura aboutcline has a spectacular aura about
Lots of great suggestions here. Another:

* Add a location targeting feature like Adwords has.
cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #12
YahooSarah
Official Representative (formerly OvertureRep)

YahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of light
All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to share with our sales team.

Happy Holidays

YahooSarah
YahooSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #13
stacywms

stacywms will become famous soon enoughstacywms will become famous soon enough
More Yahoo Search Marketing Suggestions

My two wishes:

1. Ability to use keyword insertion in titles and descriptions.
2. Ability to group/bucket search terms and manage them together (like AdGroups).

Thanks!

Stacy Williams
Prominent Placement
stacywms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #14
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacywms
My two wishes:

1. Ability to use keyword insertion in titles and descriptions.
2. Ability to group/bucket search terms and manage them together (like AdGroups).

Thanks!

Stacy Williams
Prominent Placement
You can do keyword insert.... since all ads are in a one on one basis just do it in the excel spreadsheet
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #15
jacobmin

jacobmin is on a distinguished road
State, regional, city, targeting. One up google and implement a zip code upload function.

Let me see and turn off the IP addresses that continue to click my ad but do not convert.
jacobmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #16
innvisibility

Wish List for Yahoo! PPC Marketing

Report periods greater than 95 days
Old 12-23-2005   #17
redart

Recognize that Canada (every Province) primarily speaks English, not French. There is only 1 out of the 10 provinces in Canada, Quebec, that speaks French more than English.

Many times Yahoo Overture has said that if you want to target the Canadian marketplace, it is considered "French speaking". Then you have to submit listing in the French language. And submitting English terms are targeting for "US Marketplace". This doesn't make sense. The rest of us English-speaking Canadians in Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Ontario, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, and PEI speaks exclusively in English, and it would do us no good to submit or advertise in French. So effective geo-targeting, city, province, national, and correct localization would be my main concern..

The editorial review shifts in standards - sometimes it's one reason, sometimes it's another, it used to work, it won't work now.

Slow to generate reports from the previous day.
Slow to ads being approved/declined.
Also trying to add lots of keywords at once without having the Page Upload Spreadsheet is a drag.
Old 12-23-2005   #18
projectphp
What The World, Needs Now, Is Love, Sweet Love

projectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to behold
Don't get rid of the view bid tool. (can you wish for not something? Too late!)
projectphp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005   #19
shilly
SMM

shilly is a jewel in the roughshilly is a jewel in the roughshilly is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel66
1. Please don't go to the Google-based ranking model.
2. Please reconsider the shorter ad copy decision.
3. Fix the DTC. As others have already described.
4. Standardize the editorial reviews so ads that have been running for years don't get rejected when all that was changed was a price.
5. Add some real customer service and train your reps. Also actually respond to inquiries from your "Platinum" advertisers.

Those are the biggies, there are a host more but those are the biggies.

Melissa
Yes, PLEASE do something with the editorial process. I can't tell you the number of times I made a simple change to description of an existing keyword and it comes back declined for duplicate listing or other reason that has nothing to do with the change I just made.
Also, Yahoo declining listing based on the keyword not going to the landing page the editors feel are best should change also. Sometimes in Lead Generation sites that are set up more like a brochure (and other circumstances), the best landing page is the home page not the page describing the product or service. We can't test landing pages in Yahoo.
shilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005   #20
Carlos Chacón

Carlos Chacón is on a distinguished road
I just wish a REAL good feature tool to stop click fraud...That’s it!
Carlos Chacón is offline   Reply With Quote