Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2005   #1
Jeff Martin

Jeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really nice
Google Running Ads At Bottom Of SERPs

Well this late evening before Turkey Day here in the U.S. I was cruising my competition in the Google SERPs and come across another Adwords test this time with three ads on top a full assortment on the right and two ads on the bottom. Just like Yahoo SERPs.

I seem to recall Google had bottom ads a few years ago, looks like they are considering going back to it again.

Screenies:

Top of Page

Bottom of Page
Old 11-25-2005   #2
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Aaron over at SEO Book also reported seeing this in the middle of the month, so maybe they're ramping up!
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #3
BKCB

BKCB is on a distinguished road
Google's 3 Sponsored Links On Top & Now ?# On Bottom

Jeff, I just did a search for "click fraud detection" and nothing showed at the bottom of the SERP, so I appreciate your screen shot.

I hope some people here may find what I wrote about (Sergey & Larry's college thoughts on SE Advertising, as they relate to more PPC ads on the top and bottom of the SERP:

"When Sergey Brin and Larry Page (Google Founders) were at Stanford University they wrote "The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine" ( http://www-db.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html )[/url]. Near the bottom of this college paper that presents a prototype picture of Google is Section "8 Appendix A: Advertising and Mixed Motives".

Sergey and Larry say: "Currently, the predominant business model for commercial search engines is advertising. The goals of the advertising business model do not always correspond to providing quality search to users." They go on to say: "..we expect that advertising funded search engines will be inherently biased towards the advertisers and away from the needs of the consumers." While I'm taking these quotes a little out of context (please read the entire section), and I don't think they were promoting or condoning this potential probability, they do provide their opinions about advertising on search engines.

The next paragraph in "Section 8" shows how search engine advertising can be a "sneaky dude". The Google founders then say: "Since it is very difficult even for experts to evaluate search engines, search engine bias is particularly insidious." Their following example of this premise is probably why Google still doesn't do "paid inclusion" as Yahoo does. But, further along they say something very truthful and amazing, in my opinion: "In general, it could be argued from the consumer point of view that the better the search engine is, the fewer advertisements will be needed for the consumer to find what they want." So, why increase the number of PPC ads at the top, and now put PPC ads on the bottom of the Google SERP?

Last edited by BKCB : 11-28-2005 at 02:48 PM.
BKCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #4
Jeff Martin

Jeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really nice
I would say that:

1. They need to increase ad inventory to further increase their profits (can someone say law of diminishing returns)?

2. In the short-term, allow more page one ads to appear a bit cheaper (at the lower visibility levels)

Last edited by Jeff Martin : 11-29-2005 at 08:09 AM.
Jeff Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #5
BKCB

BKCB is on a distinguished road
Ads At Bottom Of SERP = Saturation, Clutter & Intrusiveness

Jeff, you hit the nail on the head with both reasons. I especially like your "can someone say law of diminishing returns?" since it relates to my questioning of whether or not "more PPC ads" is true, long term productive thinking.

Besides what Larry and Sergey said in their college comments, the president of Yankelovich Parners said "The real issue is the productivity of marketing, regardless of the strength of the marketplace,.." See this DMA page on a study done by Yankelovich = http://www.the-dma.org/cgi/dispnewss...icle=2197+++++ which talks about "consumer resistance to marketing".

I believe that having three sponsored links at the top, and whatever number of ads at the bottom of the SERP is adding to the Saturation, Clutter, and Intrusiveness in the SERP. I know some people will disagree and say that PPC ads are only subtle " text result's listings" vs. display ads, but I feel differently, and will explain in another topic.

Studies have shown that people prefer the natural organic results to the PPC ads, plus that particular Yankelovich study found that with the consumers they surveyed, "64% are concerned about practices and motives of marketers and advertisers." That fits right in with what the founders of Google said in college when they said ""..we expect that advertising funded search engines will be inherently biased towards the advertisers and away from the needs of the consumers."

The bottom line for long term productivity and increased profits for any search engine is to put the consumer-end user first, the advertisers second and themselves last (but not least).
BKCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005   #6
Brian M

Brian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really nice
Bug In Adwords display at bottom of Google SERPS...

I have no way to contact Google directly, but there is a bug in their Adwords display at the bottom of the page, and perhaps one of you can see it as well. I posted this on another forum, with the hope that some engineer at Google will see this and and fix the problem, but there has been no reply and the problem is still there, so please forgive me if you have already seen this post:

"If you can see Adwords at the bottom and top of your SERPS (not all browsers can yet), then mouse over the text in the blue area at the bottom, you can see that it should take you to the URL link shown directly at the left, but it takes you to the respective Adwords URL displayed at the top of the screen.

Click on the URL link itself, and it is correct. The problem is only with the text in the blue area of the Adwords box.

For example, Google "click fraud detection" and there are two (or three) Adwords at the top of SERPS, and two at the bottom of the page (in a blue shaded box). Mouse over the text to the right of the link at the bottom, and you will be taken to a site listed in the blue Adwords box at the top of the screen instead.

I just checked my PC for spyware to make sure it wasn’t being hijacked, but it's clean. Anybody else seeing this bug?"

I don't know which site is being charged for the click through, but it can't be good for either vendor, especially if the one on the bottom is paying for the re-direct to their competition. I just hope they notice this post soon and fix the problem...

Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005   #7
Jeff Martin

I can confirm this. Clicking on the bottom right of the two ads displayed takes you to ads occupying positions #1 and #2 at the top of the page.
Old 12-01-2005   #8
Brian M

Brian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really nice
Thank you for confirming this!

Thanks, Jeff!

I was starting to worry that it was just my wild imagination...

Now, the only question is: who's paying for the click???

Brian
Old 12-01-2005   #9
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Quote:
I have no way to contact Google directly, but there is a bug in their Adwords display at the bottom of the page, and perhaps one of you can see it as well. I posted this on another forum, with the hope that some engineer at Google will see this and fix the problem, but there has been no reply and the problem is still there, so please forgive me if you have already seen this post:
Brian M, I did see your post on the other Forum you mentioned, and passed it on to the right folks earlier in the day. So the appropriate team is aware, for which I thank you.

(I thanked you over there, but I'll thank you here as well. I really appreciate your letting us know.)

By the way, you mentioned that you had no way to contact Google directly, and I wanted to mention (as a long-term member of the AdWords support team) that an email sent from within your account will quickly get to the right folks, even when the issue is not related specifically to an account.

The support team is very well versed in terms of to whom just about any sort of query should be escalated.

Lastly, welcome to this Forum!

AWR

Last edited by AdWordsRep : 12-01-2005 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Fixed my signature!
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005   #10
Brian M

Thank you, AWR

It looks like it was fixed right away, and I have not seen the problem again. I really hope that I didn't force your Adwords programming team into an all-nighter. Kudos to them for fixing the problem so quickly!

And, thank you for the welcome to this forum!

Brian M