Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2005   #1
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
New Keyword Popularity Tool Debuts in Adwords Accounts

Just started playing with it in one of my Adwords accounts. Interesting so far in terms of "Advertiser competitiveness" - now what about those search frequencies?

This space reserved for discussion!!
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #2
toprank
Lee Odden

toprank will become famous soon enoughtoprank will become famous soon enough
Updated AdWords Keyword Tool

Google has updated the AdWords Keyword Tool.
https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordTool

Here are some very cool features including the ability to "review detailed keyword performance statistics like advertiser competition and search volume.":

Keyword Variations works much the same way except now you can sort the results by popularity, performance history, cost and predicted ad position.

A new Site-Related Keywords feature offers the ability to generate a keyword list based on a specific URL and can also include other pages linked to from that URL. It will break out relevant keywords into groups as well.

Keyword lists can be downloaded in .csv format

There are several other features worth checking out. I think it may be as useful for organic keyword research as it is for PPC.

If you don't have an AdWords account, there are screen shots at Online Marketing Blog .
toprank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #3
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth
now what about those search frequencies?
if you use the AdWords API, from tracking a few of my own terms their API results are fairly accurate.
Old 10-21-2005   #4
leadegroot

leadegroot is on a distinguished road
Where is it?

I'm still seeing the old keyword tool.
Is this a limited beta, or is it hiding in the menus somewhere?

Lea
leadegroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #5
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
It may only be initially accessible to a certain spend level... inside my MCC interface I can access it through my bigger spending campaigns/accounts but some of the lower are not conected.... have to play with that and see if it holds for all like that.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #6
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
It may only be initially accessible to a certain spend level... inside my MCC interface I can access it through my bigger spending campaigns/accounts but some of the lower are not conected.... have to play with that and see if it holds for all like that.
nope, that's not it. I found it first in one of my newest accounts, a $100 adwords coupon one - that's all I spent there.

it wasn't in one of my high spend accounts.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #7
toprank
Lee Odden

Quote:
Login to AdWords and then try this link: https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordTool

Last edited by toprank : 10-21-2005 at 12:46 PM. Reason: add quote
Old 10-21-2005   #8
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Intriguing.... I will go through and refresh all my links in my MCC.

This is a nice start.... shows the competitiveness in my industry for a lot of terms with no traffic.... a true sign of a heated battle in the trenches.
Old 10-21-2005   #9
leadegroot

Nope, no joy

I tried all sorts of ways of getting there, but that URL keeps taking me back to the login screen.
Must be limited (you lucky people, you )
Old 10-21-2005   #10
toprank
Lee Odden

You should be logged into AdWords first, then visit the url. See the second post above for a link to screenshots. I hope that helps!
Old 10-21-2005   #11
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Hi all - Things have been cooking along over here at AdWords, and I haven't had "free" time to post here as much as I'd like. All of which is a long way of saying that I'm a bit late in posting to this thread. My apology.

Quote:
Yes, this is currently a limited test - so not everyone will see the new tool right away. The plan, of course, is to roll this out to all advertisers as quickly as possible. And while I don't have an exact date, I anticipate that it'll be sooner rather than later. Thanks in advance for your patience.

I'll be glad to hear everyone's comments once they've used it - and will be happy to pass comments along to the team behind the tool. The comments that I've heard from advertisers so far have been quite positive, which is really great.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #12
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep
Hi all - Things have been cooking along over here at AdWords, and I haven't had "free" time to post here as much as I'd like. All of which is a long way of saying that I'm a bit late in posting to this thread. My apology.

Yes, this is currently a limited test - so not everyone will see the new tool right away. The plan, of course, is to roll this out to all advertisers as quickly as possible. And while I don't have an exact date, I anticipate that it'll be sooner rather than later. Thanks in advance for your patience.

I'll be glad to hear everyone's comments once they've used it - and will be happy to pass comments along to the team behind the tool. The comments that I've heard from advertisers so far have been quite positive, which is really great.

AWR
Guess playing with the new MSN AdCenter this week has had you a little busy....
Old 10-21-2005   #13
leadegroot

Ah, thank you AWR, so I'm not going mad after all
(Shoosh, you lot! )
Old 10-21-2005   #14
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Quote:
Ah, thank you AWR, so I'm not going mad after all.
Heheh. Yeah, leadegroot, I usually try to post before folks start to doubt their sanity. A near-run thing this time around, evidently.

So, I've just heard some very cool news, which is that all advertisers should now be able to see the new keyword tool. (So it was way sooner rather than later in this case...)

(One thing worth mentioning: at present, the Site-Related Keywords feature is currently only available for English language users - in other words US, Canada, UK - or users with English-Language UI. However, all advertisers will see the other new features.)

I mentioned earlier that I'd be happy to pass on feedback from this Forum to the right team, and I'll certainly do that. But I'd also like to mention that you'll have the opportunity to leave feedback directly in the interface as well.

At the Ad Group level, after you've added your keywords, at the top left of the page on which you see your new keywords in the Ad Group, you'll see a link to directly leave feedback for the team behind this tool. Please use it early, and use it often. We love feedback.

Hope you all like the tool. I'm thinking you will.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #15
leadegroot

Excellent <logs in>
Thanks for letting us know!

Lea
Old 10-22-2005   #16
cline
Aderit Internet Marketing Consulting: www.Aderit.com

cline has a spectacular aura aboutcline has a spectacular aura about
Please don't disable the old keyword tool. Maybe I'm just used to it, but it seems to me to be more useful for power users.
cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #17
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cline
Please don't disable the old keyword tool. Maybe I'm just used to it, but it seems to me to be more useful for power users.
Actually, I've been noticing over the past several months that the old keyword tool has become much less functional than it used to be, as if the terms lists have been edited by some sort of artificial intelligence that occasionally makes classification mistakes and drops out whole chunks of data that obviously should be there. Perhaps the phasing in of this new tool has something to do with that(?).

I've posted a general discussion of the old tool's problems over at Webmasterworld (which currently can't be accessed because of WmW's hosting problems). I'm including a link to the thread anyway, as it should be live next week...

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum81/6648.htm

I do hope that the old tool will get fixed and continue to be available.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #18
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
This tool is horrible. I hope no one uses it.
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #19
Hristo

Hristo is on a distinguished road
I do all my keyword research using the AdWords API. It gives the actual number of impressions per keyword, which is a much better estimator of search volume on Google than anything else I've used.
Hristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005   #20
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgoodman
This tool is horrible. I hope no one uses it.
LOL... how about the keyword generator tool in MSN? seen that one yet....