Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Member's Lounge > The Padded Room
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2005   #1
claus
It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory.

claus will become famous soon enough
tw and wmw down?

What a coincidence - threadwatch and webmasterworld is both down at the same time. At least from where i sit...
claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #2
rcjordan
There are a lot of truths out there. Just choose one that suits you. -Wes Allison

rcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to all
must be something in the water, claus. i *think* i saw a momentary db problem here on sew last night, too.

<added>
which illustrates why i do db-to-pure-static now, but i admit that's kind of hard to do for forums, hhh.

Last edited by rcjordan : 10-19-2005 at 12:22 PM. Reason: yet another typo: needed more coffee before posting
rcjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #3
phpmaven
And now for something completely different...

phpmaven will become famous soon enough
Ya, I'ts more than a little ironic that it happened to Nick & Brett at the same time given the interesting relationship the two have had over the years.
phpmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #4
cornwall

cornwall has disabled reputation
Its a hard life guys

With TW and WMW down... the alternatives are work...or going out for a jug of Sangria in the late afternoon sunshine.
cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #5
phpmaven
And now for something completely different...

phpmaven will become famous soon enough
LOL, Work! I never thought of that I usually waste the first hour of the day on TW & WMW, OK, two hours, but whose counting?

DOH!, I can't get on 'em and I still talking 'em about here. Man, I need to get some professional help.

Last edited by phpmaven : 10-19-2005 at 01:13 PM.
phpmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #6
bhartzer
Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing Expert

bhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura about
TW is back up and running. Finally. WMW still appears to be down.

Now I realize how much I rely on those sites (and this one, too, of course), to keep up with what's really going on in this industry.
Old 10-19-2005   #7
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
nah...threadwatch is still down.
grnidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #8
rcjordan
There are a lot of truths out there. Just choose one that suits you. -Wes Allison

rcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to all
SEW database problems too

This is the 2nd time I've seen this message within the last 24 hours

=============

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
=============
Old 10-19-2005   #9
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
well, I just had & Reported a DB problem here as well.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #10
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
I just got that as well a couple of times. And BTW, 'hitting refresh' doesn't work.
Old 10-19-2005   #11
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
yep - i reported it to the dev team as well.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #12
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

Did some investigating:

Threadwatch's host is ok, as it returns pings.

Webmasterworld is completely off the net...like someone pulled the plug out of the wall.

Searchenginewatch: perhaps half of their load balancing environment died?
Old 10-19-2005   #13
bhartzer

bhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura about
It looks like several SEO/SEM related places are being hit today.
Old 10-19-2005   #14
bhartzer

Quote:
threadwatch
It was up for a while and then went back down again.
Old 10-19-2005   #15
rcjordan

>SEO/SEM related

Where's Matt? I worry when he gets quiet.
Old 10-19-2005   #16
claus
It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory.

claus will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnidone
Webmasterworld is completely off the net...like someone pulled the plug out of the wall.
It seems westserver.net doesn't respond (westhost's nameservers).

Last edited by claus : 10-19-2005 at 04:05 PM.
claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #17
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
I merged the threads about tw and wmw along with the other one about our own problems. I also posted to the SEW Blog to help alert people.

On our end, the development team told me earlier this week that we've been hit with heavy spider activity, which they've been working to block. No idea yet if that was behind our problems here yet or not. Obviously, we're area of the stablity issue and watching it.

As for TW and WMW, no idea if spidering is the same issue for them, as well.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #18
rogerd

rogerd is a jewel in the roughrogerd is a jewel in the roughrogerd is a jewel in the roughrogerd is a jewel in the rough
The WebmasterWorld problem seems to stem from Westhost being completely down. I've got a few sites there that are unreachable, and Westhost.com itself can't be found. The low-level staffers who are answering the phone at Westhost don't have specifics of the problem or the ETA for restored connectivity.

I've checked in on threadwatch a few times today, and the posted issues were at first a lengthy database rebuild, and currently what seems to be a host move.

I'd guess SEW's database errors are a examples of a typical vBulletin error that pops up during periods of heavy activity, often due to an inability to connect to the MySQL database.

No common cause, but it is a weird coincidence.
rogerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #19
webprofessor

webprofessor is on a distinguished road
Might be an opportune time to start a forum

Last edited by webprofessor : 10-19-2005 at 04:02 PM.
webprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #20
Latro

Looks like only part of Westhost is down. I lease a dedicated server there and its been running fine all day.