Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Search Marketing (PPC Ads)
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2005   #1
Dar

Dar is on a distinguished road
Same Company, But Different Domain Names, So Yahoo Allows Duplicate Ads

I recently filed complaints against Shopzilla and Bizrate with Yahoo re bidding on the same keyword (s). Bizrate owns Shopzilla and vice versa, same with Nextag and Calibex.

Yahoo replies: "In regards to your issue concerning BizRate and Shopzilla. We base our decisions on the distinctiveness of the Web sites and the effect that allowing both sites to list has on the overall user experience. Ownership, while a consideration, is secondary to these other factors.

We find that by providing a distinct user experience that both the Shopzilla and BizRate sites meet the requirements of our Duplicate Search Listing guideline and will be allowed. "

I can see the listings now! The big shopping companies taking control of page one, thankx Yahoo. Lets not forget Google, you can not opt out of Bizrate... as they display your listings from Google, Bizrate can make money from you now that is sweet! Perhaps Bizrate will build more shopping sites or buy Nextag and Calibex and have 4 listings I wonder what Yahoo will say then?

PPC Listings - Keywords "All"

1. Ebay
2. Amazon
3. Shopping.com
4. Bizrate
5. Shopzilla
6. Nextag
7. Calibex.com
Dar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #2
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Yes this is true

If you have the money you can monopolize the top spots on Overture. However I would question the ROI on such a tactic.

Google seems to be able to stop this practice.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005   #3
B-Double-U

B-Double-U will become famous soon enough
saturation

I have run into similar issues with many many other sites.

Way back in the day, I had to fight to get certain unamed companies to set rules for ebay having "all" keywords. Their ads would show "Buy www.mycompanyname.com at eBay, or something similar. They wouldn't do anything until I threatened to sue them for slander.

Although I don't think it is [fair], but, I'm quite sure that it is in the best interest, for them to keep their bigger partners happy.

Is it better to keep a partner that is spending $xxx,xxx.xx a month or some $25K a month nobody happy. I think this is just one of the numerous reasons that people simply like Google better.

Unfortunately, they know that you will continue to advertise with them as long there is a profit to be made through them. I would say that you could show your frustration by not utilizing their services, but I don't think that you are that upset...

you could always get firefox and block them yourself........
B-Double-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #4
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road
The situation with two price comparison sites owned by one company and bidding on the same keywords seems to be worse in the UK.

For one keyword these are a few of the advertisers...

dealtime.co.uk which redirects to uk.shopping.com

uk.bizrate.com and shopzilla.co.uk which belong to the same company.

kelkoo.co.uk and shopping.yahoo.co.uk which are both Yahoo! properties.

It seems like not much can be done about this
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #5
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Get rid of the affiliates but allow the parent corps to spam the paid results...

I would understand if the sites offered distinctly different products but the audience came from the same keywords... but this does not seem to be the case.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #6
shorebreak

shorebreak will become famous soon enough
Online advertising discrimination

How is this different from the Coca-Cola Company having billboards for 4 different brands on Clear Channel's nationwide billboard network? All 4 drinks are carbonated and have lots of sugar. Or both MSN and Microsoft having their own booths at a tradeshow? Or GM advertising for 3 of their different car brands on ESPN? All 3 makes have 4 wheels, crappy interiors and guzzle gas.

Search engines can do what they want, and the only thing that's going to sway their opinion is users clicking less on search ads. I do think that'll happen faster because of multiple, similar ads, but on the other hand, how different are all those CSE's from each other?

The reality is, Yahoo has to make editorial calls like this because their system doesn't factor in CTR/quality. That will change Q1/Q2 '06 as has been reported on SEW and WMW, and at that point in time the question will be handed over to a math equation that represents the interests of YHOO shareholders.

-Shorebreak
shorebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #7
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
I think it is sad that there is talk of Yahoo moving to a Google solution some time next year. I guess Yahoo will have to give back the money Google paid them/Overture for using their technology.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #8
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough
There is an advertiser who has set up 5 seperate domains and 5 seperate Y! SM accounts (I assume) to sell their product. I have complained in the past and eventually they have taken them down, but it takes a LONG time for this to happen, then they just set up new domains and accounts and do the same thing a few weeks later. Now, it looks like not only is there no consequence for doing this, but the ads are not being taken down nor are the ads even coming close to meeting the editorial guidelines that our ads are being declined for!! I have even provided them with the IP address that all of these domains are operating under (yes, they are all the same IP) and yet still no action from Yahoo!.

Then again, why should Yahoo! do anything about this? Who cares if they are screwing honest advertisers as long as revenue is up and bid prices remain high...
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote