Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Other Search Engines & Directories > Open Directory Project
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2004   #1
strategicrankings
Seolid.com - Ranking Websites First - since 1999

strategicrankings will become famous soon enough
Tips On Becoming An ODP editor

I made an application to become an editor at DMOZ, as expected my application was refused and the reason given was that the category i wanted to edit was well represented and i was advised to apply for another category.

In fact i wanted to become an editor for a regional category for my country (Top: Regional: Africa: Mauritius).

I have the impression,which may be wrong, that the number of locals who may be editing the said category can be counted on the fingers of a single hand because i know that the SEO community in Mauritius is still in its infancy. I myself have been doin SEO since dec 1999 and there are not more than 2 reliable SEO firm in the country (i work for one of them).
If my deduction are true then it may be possible that this regional category is
being edited by non-locals.

I made my application for the said category because i feel that i can contribute to a category with which i'm at ease, in a region where i live and work.
So what can i do next to become editor? Do i apply for a category that i will not have fun with or do i simply give up?

Thanks
Riley
strategicrankings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Try again in another area and see what happens... there have been alot of people turned down though I don't think it is a closed community.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #3
cuzco
Laa Laa

cuzco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by strategicrankings
I made an application to become an editor at DMOZ, as expected my application was refused and the reason given was that the category i wanted to edit was well represented and i was advised to apply for another category.

In fact i wanted to become an editor for a regional category for my country (Top: Regional: Africa: Mauritius).

I have the impression,which may be wrong, that the number of locals who may be editing the said category can be counted on the fingers of a single hand because i know that the SEO community in Mauritius is still in its infancy. I myself have been doin SEO since dec 1999 and there are not more than 2 reliable SEO firm in the country (i work for one of them).
If my deduction are true then it may be possible that this regional category is
being edited by non-locals.

I made my application for the said category because i feel that i can contribute to a category with which i'm at ease, in a region where i live and work.
So what can i do next to become editor? Do i apply for a category that i will not have fun with or do i simply give up?

Thanks
Riley
You don’t have to be an SEO or web a developer, some do it just for fun, and its important to give a good reason for becoming an a Editor, and be honest.

Did the category look like it needed an Editor? If its well managed and under control then I guess you’re not needed. If you can spot sites that don’t belong, typos, dead links, redirects, hijacked domains etc then put that in your application.

If you have lots of sites you think you can recommend the list them all in your application, not just the 3 your asked to provide.

Its also often best to start with a small category, even if its not your first choice its possible to tidy it and add a few sites and move to the next cat within a few weeks.
cuzco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #4
DigitalRoad

DigitalRoad is on a distinguished road
Riley,

Good advice from cuzco. I hope for DMOZ's sake all editors aren't from the SEO community. Why don't you try volunteering for the Arts and Entertainment subcat for Mauritius or one of the other subcats without a volunteer and few sites. Research sites that should be added (see http://dmoz.org/guidelines/ for guidelines for site inclusion guidelines) and as cuzco suggested, go ahead and recommend more than three. Spend time writing and rewriting titles and descriptions (see http://dmoz.org/help/become.html#tips for application advice). Check out other categories to see editor styles.

Good luck,

Jon
DigitalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #5
strategicrankings
Seolid.com - Ranking Websites First - since 1999

strategicrankings will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Thanks all for your answers and advice. I will do some research work as from tomorrow to find some sites that honestly could be listed in DMOZ. Thanks Jon i will try the subcat you suggested and see what happens.

Will let you know the outcomes.

Riley
strategicrankings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004   #6
jimnoble
ODP Meta Editor

jimnoble will become famous soon enough
Sorry to be late to the party - I only just registered here.

Mauritius is much too large a category for a trainee editor. Something of up to around 50 listings that doesn't have a large backlog would be suitable. (Yes I realise you can't see the backlogs, but the reviewing meta editor can.) Any of its subcategories except Business and Economy or Travel and Tourism should be fine for a beginner.

I'm not about to fill out the form for you, but I do recommend that you treat it as seriously as you would a job application - because that's what it is. The only difference is that you get paid in satisfaction rather than money
jimnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004   #7
hinote

hinote is on a distinguished road
trying to become DMOZ editor

Hi, I live in Ireland and I tried to become an editor several times, different categories, etc (all in Ireland).
I was turned down each time.
Based on this posting, I tried to become editor for museums in Scotland.
Small category, looking for an editor, etc.
Again I was turned down. I thought my application looked good (even if I say so myself).
What I find extraordinary is that it takes so long to be listed, and still an editor request can be rejected so quickly.
I am interested in becoming an editor and I have some time to dedicate to same.
Anyone any ideas.?
hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004   #8
jimnoble
ODP Meta Editor

We can't comment on individual applications but the email declining yours will have given reasons - in general terms if not specific ones. I suggest you study it in conjunction with our editor guidelines before trying again.

Quote:
What I find extraordinary is that it takes so long to be listed, and still an editor request can be rejected so quickly.
Doesn't that indicate that ODP wants editors and is keen to process applications promptly? I suspect you'd have been even unhappier if you'd have had to wait a couple of months or longer for a decision .
Old 08-03-2004   #9
hinote

Unhappy

Hi Jimnoble, I take your point and thank you for taking the time to reply.
However, if the ODP really wants more editors, then they should be more helpful with their rejection comments.
In essence, the rejection is a summary of the guidelines (incomplete application, improper spelling, etc). There is nothing there to indicate what the problem may have been. I can accept being rejected, but I feel I am owed the courtesy of a more detailed / helpful reply.
There is a 'Reviewer Comments' section which has not contained anything on any of my rejections. Without getting into a public slagging match, I could argue that I got an incomplete rejection.
Old 08-03-2004   #10
jimnoble
ODP Meta Editor

Still generalising .

Apart from the basics such as honesty and things that come under attention to detail, the most common problem that I see is unsuitable candidate URLs. Quite often the ones proposed for the category should be listed in their localities or even in a completely different branch of the directory, and not the category being requested.
Old 08-04-2004   #11
hinote

Hi, I appreciate the difficulty in evaluating a submissions from people you have never heard of. Just because an applicant has a tpyo in their submission, or because it was a Monday submission, consideration should be given to same. Actually, my submission was on a Monday, the day after the Captain's Prize at our local golf club, lots of fog, etc. Seriously, you are loosing good people at an early stage as they will not hang around to be continually rejected. For example when I do my driving test, the rules of the road are clear guidelines. When I fail, I am given clear pointers as to where I need to improve. I am not directed back to read the rules of the road.
Yours, in all honesty.................
Old 08-04-2004   #12
jimnoble
ODP Meta Editor

Quote:
Just because an applicant has a tpyo in their submission, or because it was a Monday submission, consideration should be given to same.
We think that we should be seeking editors who do pay attention to details such as spelling, grammar and site selection. If we didn't, quality standards would dive.

I'm sorry, but I'm not able to fill out the application for you or give personalised advice. If you're willing to give it another try, bear in mind the general advice you've already received and the copious documentation elsewhere and give it your best shot. After all, it's a job application and anything less than your best shot is unlikely to succeed.

PS. Tenacity is also a quality we seek
Old 08-04-2004   #13
cuzco
Laa Laa

cuzco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnoble
Still generalising .

Apart from the basics such as honesty and things that come under attention to detail, the most common problem that I see is unsuitable candidate URLs. Quite often the ones proposed for the category should be listed in their localities or even in a completely different branch of the directory, and not the category being requested.
That is exactly the mistake I made on my first application

Pays to look around and familiarise yourself with overall structure - differences with nationwide, regions and localities. Also important to check the submission guidelines for that particular category. Took me hours to find some quality sites for my application, especially as most of the sites i found were already in the ODP.
cuzco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004   #14
hinote

Smile

It is becoming a lot clearer.
jimnoble and cuzco have offered some very useful pointers.

Just a question on preferred directory structure.....

How do you decide whether a listing should go in 'Localities' of the more general 'Region'.
For example Hotel X is in Town Y and County Z
It it better to have it listed in the Town (locality) with other town sites, or have it under Accommodation in the Region.
Old 08-04-2004   #15
jimnoble
ODP Meta Editor

Quote:
For example Hotel X is in Town Y and County Z
I'm using the UK & Ireland structures to explain. Other countries might be slightly different to reflect their administrative organisations, but the same principles hold good throughout Regional.
  • In the main, websites are listed in their localities and area claimed to be covered is ignored.
  • A locality will normally be a town or village, but if the organisation has several branches all within one county, it's listed at county level.
  • If it has branches in several counties which are all in one region (A region is an English EC admin area consisting of several counties), it's listed at the region level.
  • If it has branches in several regions, it's listed at country level.
The first bullet point starts with in the main. This is because it would be perverse to list Dorset County Council in Dorchester when it obviously belongs at Dorset county level for example.

These guidelines are already publicly available in our Regional Guidelines of course. Google for em.

We find that many submitters think they can make their website seem more important by submitting it at too high a level. All that does is make work for the editor who has to move it. It's also likely to increase listing delays - because two editors might have to handle it instead of just the one it could have been.
Old 08-16-2004   #16
hinote

Thumbs up re-submitted

Hi all,
coupled with the advise from Jim, I studied the guidelines in great detail and re-submitted. I must have done something right, as I have not been rejected so far.
Seriously.... I think the reviewers are looking for prospective editors to put in the effort with their submissions. Jim gives some excellent advise, but is probably being careful not to spoon feed. The guidelines are actually very good, but need to be studied in detail. I made some very basic mistakes with my initial efforts, because I had skimmed through the guidelines. Here's hoping.....
Old 08-16-2004   #17
kctipton

kctipton is on a distinguished road
http://resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1289 is a pretty good FAQ.
kctipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004   #18
hassleback
Parcells Fan

hassleback is on a distinguished road
People should remember that not everyone is cut out to be an editor of a directory. Most people aren't suited for it. That doesn't mean you can't contribute to the Internet in other ways. Just don't get hung up on editting ODP.
hassleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004   #19
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
>Most people aren't suited for it.

In your not so humble opinion.

I think *most* people probably are, maybe it is the "organisation" that is poor in indentifying/recruiting/seeking them?
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004   #20
halfacat
Turn these headphones UP!

halfacat is on a distinguished road
Red face A bit off the topic

Sorry to get somewhat off topic here, but my boss just stated in a SEO strategy meeting the the ODP is not of the same value that it used to be.

Any suggestions or comments you can give me to argue otherwise?

Personally I think the ODP is great and very important, but I need the 'cold hard facts' to win her over.

Thanks,
cat
halfacat is offline   Reply With Quote