Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2005   #1
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Yep, hold onto your hats for the second SEWF live event!

We're GOING to DISNEYLAND!!!

We're confirmed & going ahead with another great informal, networking event for SEW Forum members and readers.

Join us Thursday, October 27th, from 1:30pm - 6pm, for a special Search Engine Watch Forums Live! event in Anaheim, California, at the Disneyland® Hotel. This informal, half-day event offers attendees the opportunity to meet several moderators of the SearchEngineWatch Discussion Forums in person, network with local peers, discuss the hottest topics and latest news in the search industry.

This event will be hosted by Forums Editor, Elisabeth Osmeloski, and features a special appearance by Search Engine Watch's own Founder and Editor, Danny Sullivan.

Confirmed guest speakers and featured attendees include SEW Forum moderators JenStar, Nacho, Joseph Morin, 5StarAffiliatePrograms, Lex and Marcia.

SEW Forums LIVE! is a terrific networking opportunity for SEO consultants and SEM firms, interactive agencies and in-house search marketing managers in Southern California.

Cost is ONLY $75 Advance Registration / $100 On-site or Day of

Registration will be live shortly here:
http://www.jupiterevents.com/sewlive/oct05/index.html

Last edited by dannysullivan : 09-15-2005 at 06:05 PM. Reason: moved post from other thread over into this spot
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #2
Jenstar

Jenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of light
I can't wait

Those who know me well know I am a huge Disney fan. Throw some speaking about contextual advertising into the mix, and its a perfect match

What is the status for rooms - I was planning on staying through Sunday, but both disney.com and expedia show no rooms available either Friday or Saturday night at any of the three official Disney hotels... would be a pain to have to move to on off-site hotels with a 4yo.

Last edited by dannysullivan : 09-15-2005 at 06:07 PM. Reason: merged post from other thread into this one
Jenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #3
Jenstar

Jenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of light
Well, i phoned em They still have some rooms at the Disneyland hotel, a few left at Paradise Pier and none at the Grand Californian. I am not sure if there will be any special room rates, but anyone planning on staying at the Disney hotels can make reservations now and then they will adjust the rate accordingly if there is any special rates for it. So I definitely wouldn't delay on making reservations - they can be cancelled up to 3 days in advance with no charge.

They have a big party on Hallowe'en at the park, so people are coming in early for that, which is why it is booked up.
Old 09-15-2005   #4
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Halloween should not be spent at Disneyland. You need to go over 10 miles to beautiful Buena Park, where Knott's Berry Farm becomes Knott's Scary Farm. It's an annual SoCal amusement park tradition. The rides aren't that great, but the atmosphere is.

Now for anyone coming into The OC, or OC as those who live there actually call it, let's talk shopping. South Coast, yeah, what shop don't they have? Big and roomy, get your Swatches and other stuff now. Fashion Island down in Newport is much more swanky, has an outdoors part and a Cheesecake Factory with a great view of the ocean. MMMM, Cheesecake Factory. Lex, Elis, what were we thinking by not getting cheesecake after eating? I dunno.

I guess it was a generic thing. It is so hard without subtitles! Name that moderator...

Now I can't recommend Newport Beach enough if you want beach action. OK, if you like the entire I want to see and be seen and are hip and happening, I guess the LA beaches are for you. But Newport's got a great boardwalk (concrete) for rollerblading, if you surf, you're set, loads of sand and fun. You can also catch a ferry for the two hour ride over to Catalina Island if you want.

As for hotels, I've never stayed at a Disney hotel, so hard to advise. We're always at a house elsewhere in Orange County. But many of the hotels around Disneyland will run shuttles to the part. I think all the park hotels are monorail connected, and I think they also let you in an hour earlier than everyone else, so that's cool. But there are lots of other places you can stay. If you're thinking of more than Disneyland, don't feel Anaheim (proud home of No Doubt) has to be your base point.

Irvine has a ton of nice hotels near John Wayne Airport. Yeah, there's a statue of the Duke in it. He was even colorized after originally just being bronze. Downside is you're are near nothing to walk to. But this is SoCal -- you don't walk to anything anyway. Upside is the rates often drop on weekend as the business people bug out. So nice pool, nice rooms, Anaheim's a 20 minute ride away, the beach is 15 minutes and the enthralling campus of UC Irvine (my alma mater) is literally only a few minutes away. If you need the smell of dead skunk, head toward UCI.

You know, my British sister in law had never seen a skunk. Took her out to Lake Havasu, and there was one in the parking lot. Anita, that's a skunk, I tell her, staying well away. Really? She starts walking over to have a closer look. Anita, that's a SKUNK! Oh, those Brits and their island free of dangerous wildlife. But I digress. It's hard without subtitles.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #5
Jenstar

I have stayed at the various official Disney hotels (haven't had the chance to stay at their Grand Californian yet, and alas it was already sold out) and they are good, as well as convenient. And I can get a wake-up call by Mickey Mouse With a four year old, things like the magic mornings (getting in an hour early) rocks

There is a bar at the Disneyland hotel - the Lost Bar and its pretty cool. And a coffee shop for those of us that can't function without lattes, but I remember the lineup, lol. And Goofy's kitchen is an experience even big "kids" should do My daughter spent the meal awestruck with all the different characters coming to the table. There is also a ton of places at Downtown Disney, which is right there as well.

Did I mention I am a Disney nut
Old 09-15-2005   #6
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
..."Hey Nacho, you were just named one of the speakers for the Search Engine Watch Forums Live! seminar... what are you going to do next?"

I'm going to Disneyland®!
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #7
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
Man, how did I miss this thread? Didn't know about this until today.

I'm definately in. Anaheim is only a 4 and a half hour drive for me. Been looking to do a road trip. Plus I am a Disneyland nut.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #8
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysullivan
Halloween should not be spent at Disneyland. You need to go over 10 miles to beautiful Buena Park, where Knott's Berry Farm becomes Knott's Scary Farm. It's an annual SoCal amusement park tradition. The rides aren't that great, but the atmosphere is.
I can confirm that - Knott's Scary Farm is awesome. Been the last two years. My daughter loves it!

Now for the rides - they just opened a new B&M inverted coaster, Silver Bullet, that should be real good. I don't think I've ever ridden a bad B&M ride. Then there is Ghost Rider, one of the wickedest woodies I have ever ridden. You have to ride this in the morning however when the park just opens, otherwise it just beats the hell out of you. Then there is Xcellerator, the original Intamin rocket launch coaster. 0-82 mph in just 2.3 seconds. Not as many rides as say Magic Mountain but definately some quality ones and a great park.
Old 09-15-2005   #9
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Cost: Just checked, Disneyland Hotel is $609.50 for one person for two nights.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #10
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
The moderators have been doing a little planning earlier this year, and I've merged some of that backroom discussion into this new thread, to give everyone a heads-up on hotels and such.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #11
5starAffiliatePrograms
Affiliate Management Consultant

5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough
SoCal is finally going to have a real SEO/SEM/Affiliate Marketing event. OC is a HOTBED of talent and technology but no one ever does events here. It's about time! Search Engine Watch does Disney!

I will be there to help out as well as being a speaker. Rumor has it this will sell out quick, so I'd register as soon as you can.

Can't wait to meet everyone in person. So who else is coming?

Linda Buquet
5starAffiliatePrograms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #12
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
I guess I should throw up a big 'Welcome' since this is my hometown and backyard...so WELCOME!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again - I can't wait!

Joe
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #13
DianeV

DianeV will become famous soon enough
This sounds interesting. And Danny's right -- there's so much in SoCal that you can find just about anything. Might pop by if I can convince himself (hubby) to go.
DianeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #14
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Search Engine Watch does Disney!
And yes, we have no Mickey Mouse watches.

Last edited by Marcia : 09-16-2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2005   #15
bethabernathy
Looking forward to Summer

bethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura about
I Love Disneyland - Looking for an Ocean View

Being the small child that I am, I just love Disneyland. I checked and there are rooms at the

Disneyland Hotel 714-956-6425

basic room rate of $265.00 per night. I also really like O.C. or whatever you want to call it.

Closest airport is "John Wayne Orange County" which is supposed to be about 20 minutes away.
bethabernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #16
Marcia

LAX isn't all that far, and there are probably decent specials on flights. Then there's a little known airline that flies out of either Ontario or Long Beach (which is pretty close) with great fares and supposed to be all roomy seats

JetBlue Airways
Old 09-22-2005   #17
PerformanceSEO
"Be Accountable"

PerformanceSEO will become famous soon enoughPerformanceSEO will become famous soon enough
If you aren't planning on buying a star map to check out Burt Reynolds ex-wife's house or hanging with prostitutes on Hollywood Blvd just to catch a possible glimpse of Ryan Seacrest, then flying into John Wayne is your best bet. Second choice would be Long Beach which usually equals the best fares...and it's quicker to get in and out of.

Kidding....L.A. is fun.
Looking forward to the event.
PerformanceSEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005   #18
Marcia

Quote:
Knotts rocks and always has! Are they *regular* tickets for Scary?

Auto Club (AAA) members get 25% off regular adult admissions at Knotts by showing their card and for anyone interested, I've got a coupon good for $15 off each adult admission ticket that's good for up to 6 people (children are always $12.95).

I won't be doing Disneyland or Knotts, so I can pass the coupon on to whoever would use it, if it's regular admission at that time.
Old 09-22-2005   #19
David Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
Knotts rocks and always has! Are they *regular* tickets for Scary?
The Halloween Haunt at Knotts is a separate event. The park typically closes around 6 pm and then reopens as Knotts Scary Park around 7pm.
Old 10-19-2005   #20
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
I'd like to announce that we've JUST ADDED a cocktail networking reception to the agenda, sponsored by YAHOO!

From 5-7 at the hotel.

See you there!
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote