Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2005   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Yahoo! Instant Search

http://instant.search.yahoo.com/

Pretty cool, a bit flashier then Google's "I'm Feeling Lucky" but basically works the same way.

Danny has more at http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050915-000100

It is cool to search on phrases you are number one for.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #2
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
Only one listing per search? I hate it.
grnidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #3
qp8qp

qp8qp is on a distinguished road
Yahoo and Google

It needs work but it's an interesting start. Needs more than one answer. There is a better feature for Google already called Customize Google. Here is a screenshot:
Customize Google Firefox Extension

You need the Firefox browser first.
qp8qp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #4
matthewmurcia

matthewmurcia is on a distinguished road
I read Danny's post and as far as the ad revenues go and their potential for loss goes, I'm sure they could figure out a way to ajax in the top two ads for every query underneath the first organic result. That might even make them more money if they can make it work, as everybody tries really, really hard to spend more money and be in those top two instant ad results that don't even need the user to go to the effort of clicking on a button.
matthewmurcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #5
Mary Bowling

Mary Bowling will become famous soon enough
Not Great for the Lodging Industry

This is not great news for the lodging industry. In most cases, Yahoo Travel appears first in related searches - above the organic listings. That's what's being delivered in the Instant Search, as well. So, even if you are in the top position, Yahoo bumps you out and shows their own online travel agency's listing.
Mary Bowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #6
orion

orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

I typed search engine and Yahoo suggests me...

CNET Search

Ha, ha.

Orion
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #7
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
I'd find the pop-up annoying.

It shows the #1 ranked page for the searchterm typed so far - that's when it pops anything up at all. And, if the searchterm so far is what a person is actually looking for, why not hit Return and get a better choice. It's a flop, imo.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote