Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2005   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Google Blog Search Launched

Google Launches Industrial Strength Blog Search from Chris today in SearchDay talks about the new Google Blog Search that's being offered on Google and on Blogger. What do you think of it?
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #2
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
I've been playing with it more. Top line thoughts -- t's not spam free. I wish it were "full text" blog search to better represent the blog world. It's got a short memory, not going back past March 2005. But the backlink info looks good, certainly better than you'll get on Google itself. That part sort of makes me sad. Web site owners can't get full backlinks on Google, but own a blog, and we're happy to roll the world out for you. More details on my blog post, Thoughts On & Poking At Google Blog Search.
Old 09-14-2005   #3
GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago will become famous soon enoughGuyFromChicago will become famous soon enough
I've been messing with it this morning too...the results still need some work. For some of the terms I searched for the same blog was listed 70 - 80% of the time out of the first 100 results.
GuyFromChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #4
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
I have learned more from teh results of this blog search than I have in a long time...interesting...

The ways that people are using blogs for adsense are very interesting.

Last edited by grnidone : 09-14-2005 at 01:09 PM.
grnidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #5
skigirl333

skigirl333 is on a distinguished road
Google Blog Backlinks

How do you determin what the backlinks are to a blog through Google's new blog search?

This may be something obvious that I am just not seeing, but any help is appreciated!
skigirl333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #6
MikeDammann
SearchFeature.com

MikeDammann is on a distinguished road
My latest blog entry has been indexed within a few hours. I like that speed. Seems like time is going to be a major factor when it comes to providing latest news, comments etc.
MikeDammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #7
dannysullivan

I'm getting more and more annoyed, honestly. I me, this is slick. I can get Google to send me a list of all the new links it detects to my blog. No questions asked. No accusations that I'm somehow someone trying to manipulate them. Just here are the links, have a nice time.

I would love, love to have Google send me a list of all the new links it finds for my site from across the web. Why can't I have that. Why do I again feel like if you're a non-blog web publisher, you are a second class citizen deemed with suspicion.

What, people who don't publish feeds have no interest in knowing who is linking to them? Of course they do. But Google's response for those doing link: lookups on web search has been to degrade the quality of that.

In short order, we really ought to see Google knock off the backlink game it has played on web search for years now. It's simply not playing fair with publishers. I want the same type of functionality I can get with blog search for web search and see no reason why it shouldn't be provided.
Old 09-14-2005   #8
orion

orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Excellent news!

These are great news, Danny.

One can do query commands when searching, as in

http://www.google.com/blogsearch?num=100&scoring=d&q="katrina hurricane"

Here,

num=100 returns 100 results

scoring=d returns results by date

q="katrina hurricane" returns results with the exact term sequence; thus, one can even do EF ratio analysis, c-indices as normally one does with general searches.

One thing I did find is that some results from MSN's spaces blogs do not return the blog posts. This, probably something from the MSN side, but I could be wrong.

These are great news. Thanks, Google.

Orion

Last edited by orion : 09-14-2005 at 02:07 PM.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #9
MikeDammann
SearchFeature.com

<semi significant update>
New blog entry got indexed within 10 minutes http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsea...+search+google
</semi significant update>
Old 09-14-2005   #10
L

L is on a distinguished road
igh.

We've got lots of blogs, none of which are bing indexed it looks like.

One of our sites' blogs are indexed at Google News - could be why they dont appear here, although this IS a blog search engine... Lots of blogs are news and blogs - hope Google can pull them into both results...

Another one of our sites just launched blogs maybe a month or so ago and as far as I know they dont use a ping service - hopefully implementing that will change things, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's not going to be that easy.

Getting all of those "redirecting you to..." when I click on results in blogsearch is kinda ugly too. :/
L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #11
MikeDammann
SearchFeature.com

From what I've been told, the redirects are most likely just a part of their testing phase and will turn into "real links" once they are ready.
Old 09-15-2005   #12
Rajesh
Web Promoter

Rajesh is on a distinguished road
Hi All
Really it is interesting tool but still have confusion that what is the purpose for launching this tool by google it is there any connection of traffics or earning money?

Thanks
Rajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #13
MikeDammann
SearchFeature.com

I think they are allowing web surfers to identify their preferential criterias when they are performing searches.
Old 09-15-2005   #14
dannysullivan

Oh, there will be ads up there at some point, of that I'm certain. So the point is, launch this, you search at Google, you see ads when they come or you may do some other search that has ads. This is another way to keep you connected with Google.
Old 09-15-2005   #15
Gurtie
I am woman, hear me whine

Gurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the rough
Oh I 'spect they just *forgot* to put the ads in.... it happens all the time over there
Gurtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #16
L

I wonder what affect (if any) this will have on blogs appearances in regular Google SERPS...

Blogs already do very well in regular search, so now they have two avenues to surface - regular search and the blog search vertical.

If you're a blogger, you'd hope that your placement in regular search doesnt decline or disappear since a lot of regular searchers out there probably wont know about blogsearch, but if you're anyone else who competes with blogs in regular SERPS, you'd hope that since blogs have their own vertical now, you're pages might be able to compete better in regular SERPS.
Old 09-15-2005   #17
agreen1125
Tell me the color of money and I tell you my last name..

agreen1125 is on a distinguished road
Thats really...updated my blog yesterday..
and tried searching it today...and viola...its there!

hmmmmm another way of big G holding us on the neck?
agreen1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #18
SMSConsult

SMSConsult is on a distinguished road
Imo

Google's blog search has been terrible!

Try searching "Philosophy" in Google's blog search.

Then try searching Philosophy and Blog in the regular search.

By far the second search turns up more sites with active interesting conversations about philosophy. For godsakes MSN's results for Philosophy and Blog far exceed Google's Blog search results for philosophy.

I just don't get it. Whats missing? Are the results just in a different order?
SMSConsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #19
L

yeah -

search for ipod & click on the title of the first search result. eek. The URL at the bottom of the first search result is more useful.

In reg. Google search we're used to clicking on the title though, since the URL is not clickable.
Old 09-16-2005   #20
martin77

martin77 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh
Hi All
Really it is interesting tool but still have confusion that what is the purpose for launching this tool by google it is there any connection of traffics or earning money?

Thanks

Google are already runnings ads on this new unimpressive
Search Engine. For example type in ' making money on the
internet '. When you get the results at the top of the page you
see ' related blogs '. That link doesn't take you to a blog it takes
you to a new independent website which advertises how to make
money with Google.

M
martin77 is offline   Reply With Quote