Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2005   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Google Goes Into Print Ads

I was as shocked as you are but when Elinor Mills from C|Net asked me for my thoughts on it, for an article she was writing, I gave them to her.

You have to check out this article named Google takes ad sales to print.

Quote:
Google is expanding its lucrative Internet advertising network into the print world in a bold attempt to capture traditional ad dollars.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #2
bogner

Question Question?

How will that work? Says I have some adwords and my company is selling purses... how would I benefit from a PC mag?

Personally they should stick to the net and not worry about print marketing and do what they are good at "SEARCH ENGINES"
Old 08-31-2005   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Ok, I have a little more detail at my blog under the title Google Experiments with Brokering Print Ads and Danny just wrote up an entry with some more detail under the title Google Selling Print Ads.

How will it work? I don't know. Would be cool if they worked out a CPC model for this.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #4
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
Telephone directories have been doing that 'style' of thing for many years.

You put an advert in their directory and pay their rate card for the advert by size/location; the call to action is a toll free number (owned by the directory) the call to the toll free is routed via the Telephone directory company back to the advertiser - and at the end of the month the directory company sends a log of the calls to the advertiser 'look at the calls we got for you this month'.

I suspect Google will do much the same thing - with a few twists which will possibly make the google print strategy different:

- they will aggregate media using other 'publications' - not just provide it on their 'own' media like the telephone directories;
- and possibly charge per 'call' rather than a fixed 'magazine page rate' for the 'advert'.

Time will tell.....

Last edited by Chris_D : 08-31-2005 at 07:04 PM. Reason: typo's
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005   #5
hiero
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? --Vince Lombardi

hiero is on a distinguished road
And once again we see Google reinventing the wheel!
hiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #6
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
I got a sales call yesterday to participate in this for of our accounts with a 1/7th spot for $3,200 in a very high volume living magazine that reaches a couple million people.

I was shown how the ads come up as an example: http://adsbygoogle.com/pcmag/

She said that at even 1% conversion I should be able to see about 360 transactions because magazine viewers to web was about 1.8% probability.

I guess it all depends on what you sell and your ROI levels for each advertiser to see if it makes sense. It's a little bit risky to put up thirty-two hundred bucks and see what happens when you are used to be paying per click for the last 6 years.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #7
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
I got a sales call yesterday to participate in this for of our accounts with a 1/7th spot for $3,200 in a very high volume living magazine that reaches a couple million people.

I was shown how the ads come up as an example: http://adsbygoogle.com/pcmag/

She said that at even 1% conversion I should be able to see about 360 transactions because magazine viewers to web was about 1.8% probability.

I guess it all depends on what you sell and your ROI levels for each advertiser to see if it makes sense. It's a little bit risky to put up thirty-two hundred bucks and see what happens when you are used to be paying per click for the last 6 years.
Are you getting the print and web ads? And is it CPM, flat rate or PPC?
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote