Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2005   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
NYT On Google As The New Microsoft

Relax, Bill Gates; It's Google's Turn as the Villain is an interesting revisit to an odl theme that seems to be picking up speed -- Google as the new Microsoft. Think they are growing too dominant in everything? Think even if they are, they'll be the "nice" version of Microsoft?
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #2
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Think even if they are, they'll be the "nice" version of Microsoft?
Funny enough, I personally see it the other way around today - the more evil Google gets the nicer MS looks

I also find a few of the issues raised in the article quite funny, such as the issue of getting venture capital in the Valley, raised by Craig Donato

Quote:
"When I meet with venture capitalists, or if I'm engaged in a conversation about going into partnership with someone, inevitably the question is, 'Why couldn't Google do what you're doing?"
I can think of at least one HUGE area of online business that Google is most likely not going to enter: Spamming Google I was thinking of adding "Scamming Adsense" but Google already do that
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #3
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
Google is still a small company when compared with Microsoft. The reach it has for its products is small when compared with Microsoft. Microsoft sells software and operating systems for almost every computer in the world, whereas Google can't sell any software, and can only aim at a much smaller market to give their software to. In that smaller market, only a minority of people actually accept the freebies.

Google has already passed its peak in search dominance, and it only ever dominated in non-profitmaking search, whereas Microsoft dominates the world's computers. Microsoft dominated the world's computer even before they got involved in the Internet, and that hasn't changed. There just isn't any comparison between the two companies, imo.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #4
projectphp
What The World, Needs Now, Is Love, Sweet Love

projectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to behold
Does Silicon value have the trend and perception setting power the article talks about? I wouldn't be surprised, but it is an interesting observation that Google inflating the Salaries of Software engineers in the Valley is perceived as a bad thing by many! If that is the case, those trend setters must be VCs and startups, which puts the power in the hands of very few indeed!
projectphp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #5
hiero
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? --Vince Lombardi

hiero is on a distinguished road
When was the last time that Microsoft sent you a check every month for an Ad account or anything else for that matter (not including class action lawsuits, sorry)....hmmmm.....lets see, oh I know....never. I do however recall sending Microsoft money on numerous occasions for their services and products.

Google knows how to make us feel good, and once Microsoft gets that recipe then maybe the pendulum can change. The feel good pendulum that is.....

Last edited by hiero : 08-24-2005 at 10:18 PM.
hiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #6
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
I wouldn't have thought that Microsoft wants the pendulum to change. They are a very big company, making loads of money, and Google isn't - not by comparison.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #7
hiero
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? --Vince Lombardi

hiero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilC
I wouldn't have thought that Microsoft wants the pendulum to change. They are a very big company, making loads of money
You're right PhilC, but it's all relative.....and u never know David could meet Goliath....whose to say what the future holds.

BTW I am a Microsoft stock holder, so it's not that I dislike Microsoft, (As I sit here on my WinXP Machine) Bill Gates is a marketing genius, but Google still has the feel good factor.
hiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #8
Reflect

Reflect is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Think they are growing too dominant in everything?
Yes and no. I think they are in the building phase. Trying new ideas to see what sticks and what doesn't. The ones that stick will slowly emass and then I think dominance will follow.

Where I fear the dominance will come into a power struggle with MS will be over the local desktop. I am not talking OS level but applications that reside on the workstation. I also think they are going to make a nice knot of money selling data at whatever point in time. Sure they do not collect identifiable data but think about what they can/do most likely have in those DBs. Search terms (Ok not a big deal), contextual ads serverd on G Mail, AdSense data, desktop search, IM data, sitemap data.

I think they are building a goldmine of marketing data IMHO.

Just a low level view from this cube .

Take care,

Brian

Last edited by Reflect : 08-25-2005 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Reflect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #9
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
Similar, in fact strikingly similar article in today's Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/new...555928,00.html

Amazing how people on different sides of the world have the same thoughts at the same time. For some reason the phrase "big boys games, big boys rules" springs to mind.
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005   #10
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFFC
Amazing how people on different sides of the world have the same thoughts at the same time.
well at least when they are that common it is a form of attribution, although most people probably do not pick up on it
Old 08-28-2005   #11
Everyman

Everyman is a jewel in the roughEveryman is a jewel in the roughEveryman is a jewel in the rough
Speaking of NYT, here's a well-written op-ed on the same topic, by Randall Stross, with particular reference to the Eric Schmidt/CNET debacle, and also to Google's copyright problems:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/28/te...gy/28digi.html
Everyman is offline   Reply With Quote