Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2005   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Google Talk Instant Messaging Live!

Moderator Note: It's now live -- see further posts below.

Rumors are that Google is to release an instant messaging service with voice chat tomorrow. The LA Times has details here, http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,1191504.story, and I've put a few more out on the blog here, http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050823-073913. Thoughts?

Last edited by dannysullivan : 08-24-2005 at 06:23 AM.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #2
GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago will become famous soon enoughGuyFromChicago will become famous soon enough
I'll give it a try. I've used MSN for years probably more out of habit than anything else. G has ahbit of doing things a little better than the current market...gmail is/was a good example.
GuyFromChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #3
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Nice. You guys may now finally be able to get me to use IM!
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #4
lorenbaker

lorenbaker has a spectacular aura aboutlorenbaker has a spectacular aura about
Danny,

The 24th of August is the 114th anniversary of the moving picture :

August 24th, 1891 : Thomas Edison patents the motion picture camera.

Given Google’s past of commemorating little-known days in science history, I’m wondering if there might be a little something to this date, Thomas Edison, the moving picture, and Google IM / VOIP - AND Google Video.

Could Google be adding video capabilities to its Google Talk Messenger that would make the software worth downloading and using?

I think Broadband using Americans are going to wake up on Wednesday with a free Google web cam at their doorsteps with a quick install of the Google Talk software - with built in highspeed video chat.

Of course, Jabber is centered XML based programming, which will open the door for AdSense and other Google feeds - but Google needs to give users a unique or semi-unique offering to get them using the software and to calm their nerves about advertising targeted to messaging or chat conversations, their location, web behavior and so on. Easy video chat capabilities could be that answer.

What do you think?

Loren
lorenbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #5
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Good luck, is all I say

I am sure Google will gain a lot of users for this but I am also sure they will have to fight hard against the increasing privacy concerns I see around for Google's products in general. Personal, phone calling and video chats are to me, VERY personal and I, for one, would be VERY concerned with how Google handles this ... from a privacy point of view. So far they haven't exactly scored high points with me for the way they deal with such things ...

On the other hand Skype seems to have a pretty clean image - at least when it comes to privacy and they already have approx 150 mill downloads. A nice head start
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #6
shor
aka Lucas Ng. Aussie online marketer.

shor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the rough
Just a heads up, it went live a little over 5 hours ago at http://www.google.com/talk/
I'm currently logged in and with typical Googlesque-flavour, it's very clean and feels lightweight compared to MSN messenger. The problem is of course in converting your current MSN/ICQ contacts over to GT!

Also I believe it requires a gmail account to log-in, which is a good way for G to grab more gmail users!
shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #7
protheus00

protheus00 is on a distinguished road
Ok so now we have this brand new tool and no one to talk to ... There is a simple invite too but who knows how many people will want to join up, let's wait and see when someone joins to see how good this is, also there is gmail intergration with notification so that saves the uses of a gmail notifier ...

Last edited by protheus00 : 08-24-2005 at 04:45 AM.
protheus00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #8
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
some screenshots on http://www.davidnaylor.co.uk but the gmail thing sucks already had to people say NO .. lol.. in fact the only people i got on my GTalk are people in my office lol..

DaveN
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #9
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Also I believe it requires a gmail account to log-in, which is a good way for G to grab more gmail users!
Or, a good way to keep all us users that DO NOT want GMail out of it and just stay with Skype, AOL, MSN or Yahoo. Anyway, from what I see there seems to be absolutely no way to even try out Googles crap anyway
Old 08-24-2005   #10
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
New Google Talk Offers Instant Messaging & Voice Chat is our rundown on SearchDay today. Fair to say, we weren't bowled over. But note the quote at the end, where Google essentially says they think they'll have millions of users and force interoperability. Will be interested to see if that really comes to pass or not. Please feel free to drop in links for other interesting reviews or comments you see.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #11
Gurtie
I am woman, hear me whine

Gurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the rough
I like the terms and the privacy policy - much nicer than MSN's imho. I hate the irritating thing wanting to add everyone who ever sent you an e-mail to your friends list and the fact that you have to have a g-mail account to use it (admittedly IM is pretty much all I use my g-mail account for anyway but that does stink of wrapping everything we do into a nice trackable little package for their benefit)

Other than that, it works... and no scarily ugly smilies what else do you want from an IM?

I am surprised to see no advert at the bottom like MSN does though? Did they forget again do you reckon?
Gurtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #12
projectphp
What The World, Needs Now, Is Love, Sweet Love

projectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to behold
Doesn't MSN force you to get a Hotmail account? And ditto with Yahoo??
projectphp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #13
Kiml

Kiml is on a distinguished road
There is no way...

There is no way I would change. I'll give it a try, but it seems silly...
Although it is Jabber compliant, I still want to access all my other buddy / friend list. Trillion has a Jabber compliant client, but who wants to pay $25.00 to IM. Might take off with the tiny bopper set.
Kiml
Kiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #14
Gurtie
I am woman, hear me whine

Gurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectphp
MSN doesn't - I use my g-mail account for it No idea about Yahoo though.
Gurtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #15
Mike

Mike is on a distinguished road
I really didn't need another instant message client. almost as much as I don't need another web browser
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #16
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Quote:
No, I am using AIM, MSN, ICQ and Skype and none of them require me to have an email account with them - at least they did not when I signed up
Old 08-24-2005   #17
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel deMib Svendsen
No, I am using AIM, MSN, ICQ and Skype and none of them require me to have an email account with them - at least they did not when I signed up
So don't think of it as an email account.

Think of it as a screen name. Google has an account system it uses across all its products. You need a screen name? Why not make it a Google Account?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #18
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN
some screenshots on http://www.davidnaylor.co.uk but the gmail thing sucks already had to people say NO .. lol.. in fact the only people i got on my GTalk are people in my office lol..

DaveN
Maybe you arent compelling enough Dave I've already had a dozen conversions and 7 or 8 additions to Gmail....

I really like it, dont like AOL because of the bundled adware. Can never remember to turn on Yahoo. I'm more the clean interface type and I really like G so I was the perfect target demographic for this.

There are a lot of small items I like such as continuing my own chat on the same conversation without opening a new line item, plus I like the way it layers the conversations on top of each other with the green dots (like we have here in vBulletin), now I'm integrating it into my desktop, I like that too.

I have no issues with G's privacy policies.
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #19
bbrutsch

My take on google talk

Well my last post got lost in transit so this is a bit of a summary

I use skype/trillian currently so they will be my basis for comparison

Pros-
  • lean install
  • GAIM integration (I'm thinking about switching)
  • voice sounds ok with a nice headset

Cons-
  • voice is a resource hog (20-30% of CPU in my tests)
  • voice sounds terrible on a cheapy headset (skype handles it fine)
  • no voicemail
  • no video
  • no trillian integration

Overall I am slightly underwhelmed. Gtalk works, but lacks anything to make it stand out of the already crowded IM pack. I will keep it for contacts that want to use it but will make no effort to migrate current contacts to it. Just my thoughts, I'll be interested to see what others think
Old 08-25-2005   #20
DaBuzz

Post GTalks double dutch

Hi,

There's allot of comment on the new GTalk. About the Gmail account and the lack of features.
I think GTalk is just perfect and can grow out to be the user-friendliest IM around.

-The major IM's (MSN,ICQ,Yahoo,ect) don't support Jabber protocol;
thats why they can permit users not to have their email account:
they don't lose there users to other IM's, because 'all my friends' have a there steady major IM and can't switch.

With GTalk you can choose to use their IM as your main IM, but you can switch IM(trillian,ect) and still talk to everybody.
To keep their users with Google, they ask you to have an email account;
hoping you will choose more and more google-products as your main source for ... everything digital.

GTalk provides a solid basis for a personalized IM with features you actually want.
Though time Google will hopefully give more basic features (grouptalk,video,searchbox,...), but because it is open-source I hope to see allot of nice extensions for GTalk being build by the community; much the same as Firefox and Winamp do.

Depending on popularity GTalk could grow big; or at least give a fresh clean basic alternative to big budget Hollywood IM's like the lot of them.

Dave Ramiro
Rotterdam Holland

Last edited by DaBuzz : 08-25-2005 at 08:04 AM.