Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Publisher Network
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2005   #1
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Yahoo Publisher Network Launched To Rival AdSense

As reported by Gary Price in the SEW Blog earlier today, according to an article by Stefanie Olsen at CNET the program is expected to be launched and available to small web publishers Wednesday, Aug 3, 2005

Quote:
Yahoo is planning to launch on Wednesday an ad network for small Web publishers intended to strengthen its hand against rival Google, a source familiar with the plan told CNET News.com.
Story here:

Yahoo to launch blog ad network

Last edited by Marcia : 08-02-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #2
DianeV

DianeV will become famous soon enough
Thanks. I've been waiting to see this, to see how and where it differs from Adsense.
DianeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #3
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
A lot of affiliate sites also run AdSense and there's some concern being raised over this new ad network within the affiliate community

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=55647

Quote:
Hmmm....Overture has a very profitable and long contract with Gator. Gator announces it is turning over another leaf and will be applying all the 'behavorial' marketing they've learned through data mining to form an new Advertising Network. Yahoo comes up with it's version of competition for AdSense through Overture.
Of course that only impacts a narrow sector of sites, but there was also recently the launch of the Claria Search Site and Microsoft being in talks to buy Claria.

Google inherited CIRCA technology when they acquired Applied Semantics, it'll be fascinating to see how closely the targeting works with Yahoo's new program.
Old 08-03-2005   #4
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
As it is now official, renaming this thread (and FYI, we'll likely have a new forum area soon for YPN, as well).

Details from Yahoo
http://publisher.yahoo.com/

And Gary has a roundup of other threads and info:
http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050803-080145
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #5
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
It's funny how US-centric both Yahoo and Google is in their contextual programs. Google host AdSense seminars in the middle of the night (European time) and Yahoo only takes US resident Beta testers.

Well, I guess they just want us Europeans to keep on spamming away

Why is it that, in general, American companies think they can test or support just the US market and then the rest follows and are basically just identical markets with strange languages. Anyone that has done business outside the US knows that is definately NOT the case. Well, I guess there is a reason Yahoo closed down operations in Scandinavia - when you don't care about our market you WILL loose money. Also, I guess there is a reason Google with AdSense and AdWords are getting such a bad name around here.
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #6
Marcia

Mikkel, doesn't that leave the door open for some sharp operator to start something on a local level?
Old 08-03-2005   #7
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Mikkel, doesn't that leave the door open for some sharp operator to start something on a local level?
Maybe so, but it also leaves the door wide open for others (like me) to set the public agenda, spam away as we like and generally just forget about what they do or don't in Sillicon Valey. If they don't care about us why should we care about them? Who said "Search Eco System"?
Old 08-03-2005   #8
Jenstar

Jenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of light
It sounds to me as though it is US only for the beta trial period - maybe it has something to do with offering an increased level of support during the beta, and the logistics of that.
Jenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #9
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Whatever the reason is it sure seems like a very odd decision and one that for sure dosn't create any kind of loyalty or trust in Yahoo here. In fact, it makes them look silly (but then again, thats not the first time - both Google and Yahoo are pretty good at that )
Old 08-03-2005   #10
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel deMib Svendsen
Whatever the reason is it sure seems like a very odd decision and one that for sure dosn't create any kind of loyalty or trust in Yahoo here. In fact, it makes them look silly (but then again, thats not the first time - both Google and Yahoo are pretty good at that )
Maybe there are legal and financial issues that they don't want to spend money on right now during the beta testing period?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #11
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Yes, I am sure - American companies allways have tons of good excuses for why Europe is not important to take in as part of your core strategies, testings etc. Last time Yahoo did that here they lost millions - and then they closed down.
As I said, it might not be so bad - it leaves us with a wide open space to do whatever we want. I am just not sure it serves Yahoo the best.

Last edited by Elisabeth : 08-05-2005 at 03:02 AM. Reason: removed political statement
Old 08-03-2005   #12
Marcia

Should have been added here - there's coverage of an interview with Will Johnson, GM of Yahoo! Publisher Network Online

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...ead.php?t=7173

He was asked

Quote:
(1) Question: If you had to pick one characteristic of your program that stands out from the rest (specifically Google's AdSense), what would that be?
And replied:

Quote:
(1) Answer: Can I pick four? :-) In the short term we are differentiating ourselves from the competition by providing additional controls for publishers, providing superior customer service, and focusing on the development of a high quality network. Longer term we will differentiate ourselves by providing access to, and integrating with other great Yahoo! content and services (think: web search, RSS ads, shopping, travel, and some day maybe music and video) to provide publishers with a means of generating additional revenue and engaging their users.
So it sounds like there may be good reason for limiting scope of geographic coverage at first.

It seems Yahoo is thinking like a "portal" even when it comes to the new publishers program. It does sound exciting and some of it seems very much like it would integrate on a local level.
Old 08-03-2005   #13
hello2paul

I went to the Yahoo publisher website and found this:
Quote:
International Partnerships: If your company is based in a top-20 Internet-penetrated country and you are interested in partnering with Yahoo! to launch a local version of our enhanced search products, please contact our Yahoo! Search Marketing international team.
That was under the Search Marketing Affiliates & Partners section.

So, maybe they haven't forgotten about the rest of the world after all
Old 08-03-2005   #14
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Quote:
So, maybe they haven't forgotten about the rest of the world after all
No, they haven't forgot - they just don't care.
Old 08-03-2005   #15
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
According to the press releases, the beta test starting today will be showing current Yahoo/Overture Content Match ads. As a Content Match advertiser, I want to know why we weren't notified about this. Seems to me the economics of Content Match could change dramatically in a short period of time, depending on where the ads appear. Yet the first I hear of this being official is here on this forum?!? Cmon Yahoo, where is the "superior customer service" you keep talking about??

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #16
Marcia

Quote:
As a Content Match advertiser, I want to know why we weren't notified about this.
Mel, couldn't it be that even the advertiser participation is limited and in beta by a separate type of agreement? It kind of makes sense that there would be a good deal of selective testing.

Wouldn't you have to opt in for content ads?
Old 08-03-2005   #17
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
You may be right, Marcia, but that's my point - it's not clear. The press releases I read just said "Yahoo! will begin by offering publishers its Content Match contextual listings." (quote from the ClickZ article, http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3524791). I just think it's an oversight on Yahoo's part to launch this thing without clarifying to their current Content Match advertisers as to whether this is an add-on requiring a new agreement, or part of the current program.

Yes, we do opt-in for Content ads, and that's why I'm concerned that we weren't notified that the program has changed - if indeed it has. And if this is an add-on / separate deal, they're missing the boat by not proactively upselling us on the new program! Either way, it's a terrible lack of communication in my opinion.

What do others think?

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #18
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel deMib Svendsen
Yes, I am sure - American companies allways have tons of good excuses for why Europe is not important to take in as part of your core strategies, testings etc. Last time Yahoo did that here they lost millions - and then they closed down. Its basically the same strategy that have made Bush the most hated American president in Europe ever (at least as far as I can remember).

As I said, it might not be so bad - it leaves us with a wide open space to do whatever we want. I am just not sure it serves Yahoo the best.
Mainly, it's cultural. They are not European companies, they're American companies. They're more comfortable rolling new things out in the U.S. first. Not surprising at all.

When I can buy an Audi A3 the same year as it comes out in Germany, instead of three years later, or when they offer the all-wheel-drive version here in Canada at the same time as it's offered in Germany, then come talk to me! As consumers we really are at the mercy of big companies more often than we'd like. And demand seems not to matter in their planning processes, which are often blinkered by culture.

Truly global conglomerates are a relatively new phenomenon. Some companies have it mastered, but most don't.

Like you, I get impatient when my country is ignored, when the same product or feature takes 18 months to find its way up here.

But let's face it. The U.S. market is huge. Scandinavian companies like Nokia focus heavily on North America not because they're great guys, but because it's the world's largest market, and profit margins in big companies always depend on going after that low-hanging fruit.

Have global politics under Bush caused companies and not just nations to turn inward and be more chauvinistic? Maybe, but that's probably a discussion for the padded room, and once we get into that room, to talk about that topic, I might never come out.

"Be It Resolved That Comedy Central is the New CNN"
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #19
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

To me it's not so much a question of timing but a question of adaption.

AdSense is already a product on the market here - so why do Google have the webinar at a time most Europeans can't do?

When Yahoo rolled out their portal in Scandinavia years ago they did it with very poor adaption to our market - pretty much just took the US model and "translated" it and with very little focus. The result: They lost a lot of money before they pulled out. It's just plain stupid.

When Nokia or Audi (finally) decides to enter a market with a specific product they usually adapt pretty well - just look at the success rate of especially Nokia (I honestly don't know much about Audis results).

If only the search business did half as good as Nokia I would be happy - but they don't. None of them!

Let me just give you one example of lack of adaption, Overture.
It took us over 9 month to get Overture to email us in English (we didn't even require Danish). They claimed it would take engineers over 6 month to make sure we got the Engish version instead of the German ones they kept sending us. (I know, it really takes forever to implement a simple check on a language field in a DB! LOL) I can't read German so for all that time I had no clue what they put in the emails to me. Do you think Nokia would release a new phone model in Canada or Italy with only Japanese interface? I don't think so!
Old 08-04-2005   #20
Jenstar

Jenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
so why do Google have the webinar at a time most Europeans can't do?
Mikkel, you trying to make it so I have to get up in the middle of the night to participate now Do any times during the 8-5 PST time frame work for Europeans? I'll send a well placed hint

AdSense is making the webinars available online now, the transcript is available from the first one, and an online "movie" is available for the second. And I put my request in for the third to be available too.
Jenstar is offline   Reply With Quote