Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2005   #1
critter
Underpromise; Overdeliver

critter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the rough
Yahoo Sandbox?

Hello All,

I am reading alot lately about the proposed and somewhat believed Yahoo Sandbox.

For all of us who have been doing SEO for quite some time, and whom have analysed the future of link building in relation to sandboxing on Google, I am under the impression there is no Sandbox present in Yahoo, but rather a similar type filter for incoming backlinks.

IMHO I feel what Yahoo is doing is just adding to the relevancy and importance backlinks seem to have in MOST of the big search engines today. I also feel MSN will be moving towards this as well as no search engine wants irrelevant SERP's.

How does everyone feel about the talk of this Yahoo Sandbox? Do you feel its just a case of ensuring your link building efforts are as natural and seemless as possible?

Cheers

Critter
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005   #2
nuthin

nuthin is on a distinguished road
There is definately a delay in the actual ranking of sites & pages I have noticed.
It's not extreme like Google's and I think it could be anywhere between 2 to 6 weeks before they release your domain to rank accordingly for there optimized keywords.

of course it will vary from site to site.

ninemsn.com.au.. has a very similar time frame i have found too.
nuthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005   #3
critter
Underpromise; Overdeliver

critter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin
There is definately a delay in the actual ranking of sites & pages I have noticed.
It's not extreme like Google's and I think it could be anywhere between 2 to 6 weeks before they release your domain to rank accordingly for there optimized keywords.

of course it will vary from site to site.

ninemsn.com.au.. has a very similar time frame i have found too.
I have to say I don't see this at all.

It might be how I go about launching my sites and my link building methods but I have never seen any delay beyond having Yahoo finding and indexing my site. Once that happens my rankings are right around the corner.

IMO - Keeep thinkgs as natural as possible and you should be fine and with no delays.

Critter
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005   #4
NTR
Natasha "That Girl From Marketing" Robinson - Search Engine Stalker

NTR is on a distinguished road
From what I've seen

All - bear with me, I need coffee....

The company I work for has a number of branded domains for different versions of its software. Here are some things I've seen in terms of Yahoo indexing a domain for one of our products: The Official Desktop - which is about 6 months old.

I first noticed that there may be a "delaying effect" after I saw that the site had been indexed in Yahoo for the first time and only the Index page was listed.

In the past when Yahoo would index a site all of the additional pages of the site would also be indexed. So I thought it odd that when I selected the "more from this site" link and it would not show additional pages.

So next, I created a page on the company site for testing purposes. I added a link to that page on a test site I have that is crawled frequently to see if that would trigger getting the rest of the pages indexed - or at least that test page.

It didn't. BUT what did happen is that if I searched for a phrase that I knew only existed on the test page (it was a nonsense phrase), Yahoo SERPS would show a link to the Official Desktop site - BUT just the homepage - even though the phrase didn't exist on that page.

All of this changed since the latest update; since Yahoo now lists all the pages from the site. BUT it even lists pages that we deleted prior to the Index Update - that only existed when the site was first created. Which would make it seems as if those pages were in some sort of "holding pattern".

Would I preach this as "Yahoo Has A Sandbox" and start writing articles to that effect? NO. Because this is only based on one test and my observations.

I'd better stop, before I get on my soapbox and start preachin' about irresponsible search engine optimization articles that preach "facts" based on speculations.... don't get me started.

... must go have coffee.

Have a great weekend all!
Natasha "That Girl From Marketing" Robinson

Last edited by NTR : 07-29-2005 at 02:26 PM.
NTR is offline   Reply With Quote