Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2005   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
New Yahoo MyWeb 2.0 & MyRank

Chris covers the new MyWeb 2.0 service from Yahoo today, Yahoo Integrates Personal & Social Search with MyWeb 2.0, in SearchDay. In short, you've now got the ability to tag search results, share them with friend and most important, help compile a collection of "trusted" sites. Yahoo even talks about a new MyRank ranking system for when you want to sort through this collection. Comments, thoughts!
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #2
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
At WebmasterWorld Conference last week, the folks ask Tim Mayer from Yahoo if they would use the data of "trusted" sites (saved sites) and "untrusted" sites (blocked sites) in the algo.

He said, if he said yes, you will all go out and start blocking your competitors sites. He said, it is something they will look at, but he doesn't know yet - they did not yet look at the data. Or something like that.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #3
agreen1125
Tell me the color of money and I tell you my last name..

agreen1125 is on a distinguished road
Isn't there will always be the good and the bad side of it? Now the next question is...how much does the good outweighs the bad or vice-versa?
agreen1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #4
Webvisitor

Webvisitor will become famous soon enough
It did not take long for Yahoo to trump Google's personalized search innitiative announcement yesterday.
As Beal suggested in his blog earlier today the news is coming at a faster pace than anyone can seriously digest--except Danny S. of course!

One takaway from all this personal search news is people better get aquainted with Furl, Del.icio.us, Spurl, Technorati, Bloglines, Feedster etc..

Tagging where appropriate is approaching full-on buzz mode!
Webvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #5
mhhfive

mhhfive is on a distinguished road
when will Google/Yahoo develop an "import" tool..?

I'd like to import my furl bookmarks... any hints if that'll ever be possible?
mhhfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #6
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
I don't like it at all, not even one little bit.

I've used MyWeb since 5 minutes after it first came out, and save pages because it's been a handy time-saver. I've loved it. I have FOLDERS to categorize so I can find things easily.

No more; either I can switch back to pre-2.0 or I'm done with it. There is NO WAY I'll be able to remember all the different "labels" I'd use, it would no longer be possible to find my categories - which is exactly why I don't use Gmail.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005   #7
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
OK, so this is what happened... when upgrading, the default got changed. I've changed the setting back to what constitutes "private" as the default, not shared, and it's back to using the folders again.

I've loved this and it's been totally handy, I've used it on a daily basis. But I've no intention of sharing what I save with my main ISP account (Yahoo/SBC is my provider), and besides, I'm sure not about to publicly share the folder with my little collection of "spam" pages that I find - with all my comments and notes.

Last edited by Marcia : 07-03-2005 at 03:06 AM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005   #8
Webvisitor

Webvisitor will become famous soon enough
Too many levels to go through. I prefer Furl for my bookmarklet saves. Spurl next and Del.icio.us third.
Yahoo and Google don't quite get it yet on social bookmarking IMO.
Webvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #9
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Looks like Yahoo removed the self tagging box when you do the Import via RSS.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #10
mtweed

mtweed is on a distinguished road
Has anyone noticed that Yahoo is producing more Google type results with their new algorithm?
mtweed is offline   Reply With Quote