Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdSense
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2005   #1
Jenstar

Jenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of light
New horizontal Ad Links

https://www.google.com/adsense/adformats#adlinks

Some new ad link formats have just been added, this time in a horizontal format, sized only 15 pixels high, that would fit quite nicely under (or over) either the banner or leaderboard ad units.
Jenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #2
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
So nice, thanks for the heads up!

Now if they would only give us a 160x240 ad like the 120x240 that has such a tiny, tiny font life would be complete.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #3
petthyme

Do you think these new ad links will have a better CTR than the square ones, or a worse CTR? Thanks!
Old 06-09-2005   #4
Jenstar

Jenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of light
I think it will come down to site layout, but these new ad units will not be as "in your face" as the regular cube style ad links. But some people were not using the cubes because it didn't fit the site layout very well, or it made more sense to use a regular ad unit instead of an ad link unit.

On an overall basis, I suspect the cubes will still have a higher CTR when comparing the cube versus horizontal styles.

It is also worth noting you can still only have ONE ad link unit per page.
Old 06-09-2005   #5
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I think it will come down to site layout
Exactly my first thought when I first saw this thread, and I think they could be *dynamite* if placed in the right spot on some sites - depending on site layout, including some of mine.

With the ad links we've had so far they could only really go well for many sites in a right or left column, but now with these horizontal ad units we can place them in strategic spots center_page.

I believe this is a particularly significant new feature, and will prove to be a step forward for, either product-oriented affiliate or ecommerce sites.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #6
Jenstar

Quote:
I believe this is a particularly significant new feature
Fortunately for AdSense publishers, I think we will keep seeing new additions being made to the program, as the Yahoo Publisher Network looms in the (near?) future.
Old 06-11-2005   #7
hello2paul

Smile

Hello

Looking around the www I've not heard any negative responses about the new horizintal ads. I've not used them myself yet, as I wasn't too impressed with the first lot of Adlinks

It seems that the same rules apply as to postioning etc.