Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2005   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
SES Toronto Live Coverage

Cleaning Up Spam & Other Messes.

Kevin Lee and Bill Hunt and Mike Grehan are in the room here with us.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #2
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Organic Listings Forum
Old 05-04-2005   #3
rustybrick

Buying Search Engine Advertising.
Old 05-04-2005   #4
rustybrick

Balancing Paid & Organic Listings
Old 05-04-2005   #5
rustybrick

Link Strategies 2005.
Old 05-05-2005   #6
rustybrick

Perfecting Paid Listings
Old 05-05-2005   #7
rustybrick

Search Engine Landscape....
Old 05-05-2005   #8
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
ok how about a link to "Parties, Scandals and Hook-ups!"
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005   #9
rustybrick

I don't get involved in that type of stuff.
Old 05-05-2005   #10
rustybrick

Language & Domain Name Issues
Old 05-05-2005   #11
Mike Grehan

Mike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to all
Quote:
Mike Grehan is moderating this session, and starts off with some jokes. He explains that they rolled the basic session into the advanced sessions. This is probably the 5th time I have seen him do the sticky note on the bottom of the chair trick...I wonder how many times he can get away with that.
Young Rusty Barry, that presentation and its surrounding clowning is designed for entry level attendees to SES, so it's the same performance every time for a new audience.

And as you'll see in the current format and line up, myself and Eric do exactly the same presentation as does Matt Cutts and whichever Jeeves guy we have on the panel.

The advanced session changes from time-to-time (a different panel, as you know) because there are current topical issues which can be covered. But the basics are the basics...

Having said that, it must be like watching a favourite old movie for some folks, as I always see about ten to fifteen people (other SES speakers included) in the audience!

So - my advice is maybe to give it a miss next time, unless Danny decides to change the format/line-up.

He da boss, and as long as he's happy with it (and the audience, of course) it'll be the same old winning formula Eric, (Debra) and I have been tantalising, exciting, mesmerising and thrilling our audience with, for some time now
Mike Grehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005   #12
rustybrick

How can I miss that old movie? I am just explaining that it works each and every time. Plus you were both moding and speaking in that session, how can I possibly miss that?

I don't think you took the comment the wrong way, i should have added some of these

Anyway, I enjoyed it. You did a great job, as always.

I consider myself a Mike Grehan fan.
Old 05-05-2005   #13
Mike Grehan

Mike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick
I consider myself a Mike Grehan fan.
And I believe you are a man of excellent judgment

What happened to you last night, by the way? You were supposed to be joining Elisabeth and me in the restaurant.
Old 05-05-2005   #14
rustybrick

Elisabeth is right here now...

She was hiding when I went searching for her at the restaurant.

You know me, I never come out when its dark outside. I am afraid of vampires.
Old 05-05-2005   #15
Mike Grehan

Quote:
I am afraid of vampires.
In that case, I'd stay away from the exhibit as well then
Old 05-05-2005   #16
rustybrick

I am done with the coverage, just a note, its interesting looking at the search engine reps faces when people talk about seo techniques.

Its even more interesting looking at the rep's faces when they are not on the panel, but in the audience. You can learn a lot from that...
Old 05-05-2005   #17
bhartzer
Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing Expert

bhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura about
Mike, I've seen that same presentation of yours tons of times now. Why is it that I fall for that yellow sticky note trick every time?!!!!!
It's a classic.

One more thing--what's up with the tie? Is that a new thing?
Old 05-05-2005   #18
ephricon
<!-- Insert Clever Tagline Here --!>

ephricon has a spectacular aura aboutephricon has a spectacular aura aboutephricon has a spectacular aura about
I'll admit I fell for the sticky note trick too, and feel all the more ignorant for it. I would like to offer up a public "thanks" though to Mike and all the other speakers in that session and the other sessions at SES Toronto for sharing their time and opinions.

I've read many a forum post, white paper, article and blog entry from many of the speakers, but being as this was my first SES I was delighted to get the message in a different medium. There's definitely something to be said for hearing the discussion in person versus forum threads or articles.

In fact coming out of this conference perhaps the most significant item i've come away with is a new context and tone in which I'll look at certain discussions and perhaps more so certain publishers. A few people who spoke I actually was less impressed with than I was expecting, and will probably spend less time following their contributions to the masses of SEO articles and editorials that exist (something I only help to add confusion and recycled content to), but for the most part a number of speakers really impressed me, and I'll be sure to perk my ears a bit more when I hear them or see their output in the near future.
ephricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005   #19
rustybrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartzer
One more thing--what's up with the tie? Is that a new thing?
Serious answer; Mike was moderating. Danny and Chris tied him down and slapped on a tie.
Old 05-06-2005   #20
sherrillh
Let's go shopping!

sherrillh is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Serious answer; Mike was moderating. Danny and Chris tied him down and slapped on a tie.
Could they not catch Mikkel and Rand? or maybe they just couldn't match a tie to the red suit or yellow shoes

This was my first SES Conference as well and I very much enjoyed it. Mike did get me with the "yellow sticky note" as well, but maybe I won't fall for it next time or maybe I'll bring my own and stand up with it

Great job not only to the speakers, but to Danny, Chris and their Crew of hard working event workers. It didn't hurt that Toronto is a beautiful city either. I am looking forward to the next one I can attend.
sherrillh is offline   Reply With Quote