Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2005   #1
haplo

haplo has a spectacular aura abouthaplo has a spectacular aura about
AdWords allows site specific targeting in their content network

Have you seen this?

All About Site-Targeted Ads

Clients have been yammering for this since the whole "content network" started.
Looks like they're going to have to pay for it though.

Quote:
The AdWords ranking system takes into account the max CPM prices of all site-targeted ads,
compares them to the combined cost-per-click prices and clickthrough
rate of keyword-targeted ads, and then displays the highest-ranked ads.
haplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #2
nicncher

nicncher is on a distinguished road
I have had a quick look and at first I thought all my content targeting problems were solved! Then I read further and now I am feeling unsure.....I may have missed something here, but was CPC not Cost Per Impression originally? Did search engines not change to CPC because it proved to be a better solution? I don't understand now why Google is resorting back. Can anyone clarify this for me or let me know if I have interpreted this incorrectly?

For the record, at least we know google is doing something about giving advertisers more control over their content matching.....

Cheers
nicncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #3
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Sounds great, but its not available yet

Before you go running to your Google account to try this out, understand that they are only beta testing at this point. They will release it to the public "in the near future".

"Site targeting isn't available yet. We're currently running a beta test of site-targeted campaigns with just a few advertisers. We expect to make site targeting available to all AdWords advertisers in the near future."

Looking forward to this feature. Thanks to this forum I was turned on to AdSonar last week where I was able to target a number of sites and specific pages that are right in line with my target market. The results thus far have been great! I suspect Google's new feature will be awesome!

Lead Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #4
Jeff Martin

Jeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really nice
This is very interesting news.

This could lend great influence and power to authoritive sites in the Adsense network.

You could get advertisers bidding against each other for positioing on your site, not just in the general Adsense network. More money for you and Google.
Old 04-25-2005   #5
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
It is more to let people do a little unspecific advertising where relevance is allowed to be overlooked.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #6
haplo

haplo has a spectacular aura abouthaplo has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
It is more to let people do a little unspecific advertising where relevance is allowed to be overlooked.
I disagreee. If what you say is true, who would it benefit? Advertisers will stop competing for that space if their "unspecific advertising" doesn't work, and then Google loses and the Content Site loses.

From my experience, I think Google's a little smarter than that. Additionally, I think (naively perhaps) that "relevance" is more than just a catch phrase to them -- to me it appears to be the very keystone upon which their entire business model hinges.

But I could be wrong about this, too.
haplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #7
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by haplo
I disagreee. If what you say is true, who would it benefit? Advertisers will stop competing for that space if their "unspecific advertising" doesn't work, and then Google loses and the Content Site loses.

From my experience, I think Google's a little smarter than that. Additionally, I think (naively perhaps) that "relevance" is more than just a catch phrase to them -- to me it appears to be the very keystone upon which their entire business model hinges.

But I could be wrong about this, too.
I see it as an opporunity for people who have products that would appeal to users of content sites that are not an exact match. EG. Camping supply websites and SUV sellers... things that in the past may not have been allowed but have a relationship.
Much like shopping for demographics of the people who are good customers.
People who have products that fit the demographics of other sites: Teen sites offering items that teens are interested in... it is in effect moving to the more thorough integration of advertising across specifics to meet common interests.

For more info on the selection process look at this:
http://services.google.com/ads_inquiry/sitetarget?hl=en
Old 04-25-2005   #8
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
For advertisers who want to make a small to mid-sized "buy" to get eyeballs on a well-known site, this system will save time and money. No deals to negotiate, no media buyer to pay off.

As upsetting as being disintermediated may be to some, Google (+ Overture) has rocked the online media buying world with AdWords version 1, and even more so with AdSense, and set off another earthquake with this version.

The whole idea with having to contact a portal or major publication or media buyer for a "price quote" on an ad is so cumbersome unless there are major dollars at stake.

The monetization of the long tail of advertising continues.
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #9
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgoodman
For advertisers who want to make a small to mid-sized "buy" to get eyeballs on a well-known site, this system will save time and money. No deals to negotiate, no media buyer to pay off.

As upsetting as being disintermediated may be to some, Google (+ Overture) has rocked the online media buying world with AdWords version 1, and even more so with AdSense, and set off another earthquake with this version.

The whole idea with having to contact a portal or major publication or media buyer for a "price quote" on an ad is so cumbersome unless there are major dollars at stake.

The monetization of the long tail of advertising continues.
Is going to require a whole new chapter (at least) in your book Andrew...
Old 04-25-2005   #10
Aidan O

Aidan O is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
Looking forward to this feature. Thanks to this forum I was turned on to AdSonar last week where I was able to target a number of sites and specific pages that are right in line with my target market. The results thus far have been great! I suspect Google's new feature will be awesome!

Lead Discovery
yeah that was me I think

AdSonar offers a feature called PageMatch which, as a travel advertiser, has worked wonders for me. They've enabled site-specific advertising for a couple of months now, and from what I can tell, they're trying to carve out a niche in the premium publisher market, so my guess is they'll at least be a thorn in the side of Google with this, if not an outright competitor.
Aidan O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #11
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan O

AdSonar offers a feature called PageMatch which, as a travel advertiser, has worked wonders for me. They've enabled site-specific advertising for a couple of months now, and from what I can tell, they're trying to carve out a niche in the premium publisher market, so my guess is they'll at least be a thorn in the side of Google with this, if not an outright competitor.
I agree, Aidan, I was looking at some of those specific offerings just the other day, and definitely see the opportunity to have far more direct control over page specific advertising that google has offered in the past. I think AdSonar has a leg up here, and had several quality partner sites to offer.

it will be interesting to see if Googles new site specific ads can improve results on the content side for advertisers.

Btw, i've split off some posts regarding AdSonar & contextual ad alternatives into a new discussion for results & Features here:

Results from using Adsonar
http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...ead.php?t=5414

Last edited by Elisabeth : 04-25-2005 at 04:41 PM.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #12
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Quote:
Thanks for that, haplo.

We do feel confident about relevance being maintained. And the program is in Beta, initially, to explore exactly this sort of question in the real world.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote