Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should Google allow advertisers to bid on specific URL placements for their ads?
Yes 14 87.50%
No 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2005   #1
Amicron
Amicron

Amicron is on a distinguished road
How to get MY ads shown on specific Content Network pages

Does anyone remember a wonderful company called SPRINKS from a few years ago? They had this wonderful product where you could bid on positioning for specific pages in their network. For example, if you wanted to appear on the "Computers & Technology" page of about.com, all you had to do was bid on that specific page, and POOF, your ad was there.

It was wonderful. It was a beautiful thing. My ads could appear EXACTLY on the high-traffic pages I wanted them to, and while the CPC was a little high on some of them, the QUALITY and volume of traffic generally offset that.

Then everything changed.

Then Google bought Sprinks and the whole thing went to crap.

Now, there is absolutely NO WAY that I can figure out how to get my ads to appear on specific pages. I've tried everything. I've tried bidding on keyword combinations that appear on the pages I'm trying to get on. I've tried using descriptions and keywords and all kinds of things.

I've even tried to match the keywords from the ads themselves that are appearing on that page... and set my CPC sky high to make sure it's not a bidding problem.

Nothing.

I like Google, don't get me wrong... but because of the inability to get my ads on the content pages I want them to appear on, I'm extremely frustrated.

Does ANYONE know how do go about doing this? Is there a tool somewhere that you can type in a URL, like, say, pcsupport.about.com, and it will spit out what keyword(s) to bid on to get on that page?

If not, there should be!

Last edited by rustybrick : 04-14-2005 at 01:01 AM. Reason: removed sig
Amicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #2
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
Cool post Richard. Here's my take on a product feature Google could build into AdWords to give back a bit of what was lost with the absorption of Sprinks: advertisers could enter a list of "favored sites" that they wanted to appear on as much as possible. They could simply enter the site's or page's URL into a box with a "+" for "like this site" and a "++" for "really like this site." Being Google, this wouldn't guarantee anything, but it would be factored into the matching algo and make that advertisers ads *more likely* to show up on a given site or page. Obviously that's a rough take, but I think that would give advertisers the opportunity to get more of what they like without forcing Google to completely change their page matching paradigm.

The other thing about that is, advertisers using the "+" feature would have to expect to pay more for the privilege. If you don't bid over 0.50, say, you might have a very low probability of showing up, especially if other advertisers were +'ing the same sites/pages.

You would think in fact that this might create some interesting bidding wars so it would be in Google's interest to look into this.
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #3
Amicron
Amicron

Google Adwords

When a webmaster places the HTML for Google's Adsense into his page, he could very easily specify some keywords for what keyword ads the WEBMASTER wants to trigger. Therefore, sites like about.com could have custom keywords for each of their topical pages. ADVERTISERS like me could simply look at the HTML tags of the page to determine what keywords to bid on to appear on that page.

It's VERY simple to implement... but of course Google could never do something like this. It makes too much sense, and would be far too helpful for their advertisers. They would rather put what ads THEY think are relevant (in most cases, they're NOT!)

Do I sound bitter?
Old 04-14-2005   #4
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
maybe you cold try to phrase match some of the article or page titles?
Old 04-14-2005   #5
Amicron
Amicron

Thumbs down

Oh, I've tried that. I've tried page titles, META tags, even ALL of the major keywords on that page. I've even looked at the other ads that are running and tried to guess what keyword phrases are triggering them.

For example, look at pcsupport.about.com. The ads that are running (as of right now) are:

Registry Cleaner Download
Computer Troubleshooting
Free PC Checkup
Windows Support
Fix Explorer problems
Microsoft Free Help
Computer Service
Windows Toubleshooting

I've tried every iteration and keyword phrase matching these that I can think of - no dice.

And just to show how Google does NOT display relevant ads, their program is picking up on fringe links out on the margins of the page... NOT the relevant articles that are currently being displayed on the page.

The main article today (and for the past few days) has been "Tips for Troubleshooting Windows File Sharing." These other ads are running because some of those keywords show up on auxilliary links on the page.
NOTE TO GOOGLE: YOUR ALGORITHM-BASED APPROACH TO FEEDING ADS ON WEB SITES IS NOT THE MOST EFFICIENT - I.E. THE MOST PROFITABLE SOLUTION FOR YOU, YOUR PUBLISHERS, OR YOUR ADVERTISERS.
You need a solution that will allow us more control over where our ads appear! Other PPC engines provide this! Why can't you? The company you BOUGHT (Sprinks) had this down properly. Why did you come along and mess with a perfectly good solution?
Old 04-14-2005   #6
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Stong agreement and my 2 cents

The point and solutions given above are spot on. And I think everyone that reads this thread could chime in with a hardy "I want that too!".

I'll just point out another advantage to allowing advertisers to select their content partners. One that steams most of us.

There are far too many crap adsense "partners" out there.
From the 3 page wonders to the pretend search/directory sites laden with Google ads.
These sites have absolutely no value at all to any visitor, and I would highly suspect that the people who create such sites will also try to falsify clicks by any means possible.

By allowing the advertisers to choose their these crap sites would be gone almost immediately. And the sites that give value to both the advertiser and the consumer will rise to the top. We all win.

Lead Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #7
Jenstar

Jenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of light
I have gotten my ads to appear on AdSense sites that I wanted them to. Most of the time it is just nailing down specific enough keywords to do it, rather than keywords that are too broad or general. With the last campaign I just started, I managed to get my ads showing where I wanted them to on the first try

Also remember that publishers can choose not to show your ads, so no matter what you do, your ads will not show on those sites until the publisher removes you from the URL filter in their AdSense account. Some publishers have hundreds of sites in their filters (although that is a method I don't recommend since it can have a tremendous impact on the overall EPC, and I'm not talking a good impact ). If you know the site owner, you might want to ask if you are on their URL filter, and if so, if your URL can be removed.
Jenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #8
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
So my question is, if the publishers can choose which ads to run, why can't the advertisers choose which publisher sites they do or do not want to appear on??? Advertisers would be willing to pay more for content if the "crap" sites were eliminated from the equation. Good publishers would be rewarded by increased Adsense revenues. And everyone would benefit by the elimination of the crap sites.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #9
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
I'll be passing on your feedback...

I finally found time to read this thread in it's entirety, and there's some very interesting feedback here. So, this is yet another thread I'll be linking to in the Advertiser Feedback Report later tonight.

I gotta say - AdWords advertisers are notable for their passion.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #10
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
posts regarding alternative content distribution networks, including Adsonar have been split off into a new discussion forum here:

Results from using Adsonar
http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...ead.php?t=5414
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #11
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth
posts regarding alternative content distribution networks, including Adsonar have been split off into a new discussion forum here:

Results from using Adsonar
http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...ead.php?t=5414
Always on top of things....
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote