Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2005   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
SES NYC 2005 - Live Coverage

Hi All,

Thought I chime in now to tell you my schedule for this event. But before doing so, I think its important to give equal credit to an individual who has been a tremendous help with this coverage. Benjamin Pfeiffer, a.k.a. Phoenix, has been helping me this coverage at the Search Engine Roundtable since at least the last SES Chicago Show. He will be helping out with the coverage as well and deserves a lot of credit.

Here is what I posted at my blog about the sessions I will be attending, note that Ben and I will try to attend different sessions in order to provide the widest possible coverage.

Well, the SES NYC show is coming to my home town Monday, and Ben and I will be providing live coverage. Ben and I will try to attend different sessions, this way we can provide the widest coverage possible. Also, there will be a few guest authors attending the conference, who I will bug to pitch in as they can. Our goal, to provide the most detailed and unbiased coverage of this SES show.

Here are the sessions currently on my list to see:
Monday: Search Forecast and Outlook: Profiting from Growth through 2009; The Search Landscape; Searcher Behavior and Search Algorithm Research & Developments.

Tuesday: Jerry Yang Keynote; What Is Spam?; Indexing Summit; News & Webfeed Search; and maybe Branding Tactics For Search (I probably will have to leave early this day).

Wednesday: Search Convergence; Local Search Marketing Tactics; Brand Summit: Life After Google-Geico; 3:45p - 5:15p Undecided; and Evening Forum With Danny Sullivan (anything you want me to ask?).

Thursday: What Is Content?; Integrating Search Into Other Marketing; Final session undecided.

Any requests, feel free to make them. We will see what we can do.

I will be posting all of my coverage in this forum, and listing them below so you can quickly find them. Any questions about any of the coverage, please use the forums and I will reply as soon as possible. If you would like to check out more coverage; feel free to stop by the Search Engine Strategies New York 2005 Archives Section of my Blog. Thanks again and stay tuned!
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005   #2
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
This one, Barry:

Search Term Research and Targeting

I've seen far too many people miss it on just that one thing, and not just at the "beginners" level, either. And this:

Competitive Research

Realism is such an important quality, and it's mentioned far too seldom.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005   #3
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Hi Barry - Excellent selection among some tough choices.

For the 3:45 - 5:15 slot on Wednesday, let me suggest the "Measuring Offline Sales & Conversion" session, which might be very much in line with the "Integrating Search Into Other Marketing" session you're attending on Thursday.

If you could clone yourself on Wednesday, it would also be great to get a report on the "CSS Myths..." panel.

For that final undecided session, I'd vote for "Advanced Search Term Research Tools." Though a number of the people who've developed these have been posting here, this area, as Marcia suggests, is fundamental to what we do, and, up till now, the tools in the area have left a lot to be desired.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005   #4
sean

not sure if it will be live yet, but...

I'll be covering "Shopping Search Tactics" and "Meet The Shopping Search Engines" ...maybe some related interviews.

Last edited by sean : 02-27-2005 at 08:10 AM. Reason: edit title
Old 02-27-2005   #5
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Thanks for the feedback. If I can't make the session, I will try to pressure Ben to cover them.

Also got word the Kim Krause will be trying to help out as well as the blog.

I've pretty much seen every session given at the SES conference, expect for the ones marked as NEW. So I try to visit the "NEW" ones to keep my typing fingers into it. I always find it interesting to read my coverage of the same session, same speakers, but at different times. It always differs slightly for some reason.
Old 02-27-2005   #6
mugshot

mugshot is on a distinguished road
Kim's gonna be there???

Yea Barry, get Ben!!!
mugshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005   #7
rustybrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugshot
Kim's gonna be there???

Yea Barry, get Ben!!!
Kim will be arriving Monday morning around 9ish, depending on the weather (damn snow).

See you there Mr. Mug.
Old 02-27-2005   #8
mugshot

Mr.???
Old 02-27-2005   #9
rustybrick

Fine, good old fashion, Organic Mug.

See you there.
Old 02-27-2005   #10
seoqueen

seoqueen is on a distinguished road
Rusty,

For it being my first time at a conference...real excited about it too!! Do you guys have a meeting spot that you guys get together there?

seoqueen
seoqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #11
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Hilton bar evenings, the one to the right on Mondays (pretty sure it will be open then), the bar on the left is closed Sunday evenings but it is the meeting spot all day until the one on the right opens up.

Its pretty much the main meeting place for the conference. Sometimes I even see Barry out at a party or two but its a special occasion when he shows up!
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005   #12
mugshot

Barry at parties? That guy is the most boring fellow at SES
Old 02-28-2005   #13
rustybrick

Well, I missed the first session due to a 1 hour delay. So sorry.

They closed a highway for an "emergency repair". Worst thing, I could have avoided it, if I listed to the news.
Old 02-28-2005   #14
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Dont feel bad Barry...my flight was cancelled....having much fun at the moment rescheduling
Old 02-28-2005   #15
rustybrick

So was Nacho's and Orions. Wow.
Old 02-28-2005   #16
rustybrick

The Search Landscape....
Old 02-28-2005   #17
Joseph Morin

Power of the internet:

Without your post I wouldnt have known that, I just called Nacho and he may be able to get on my flight out of LAX today (he and Orion are actually delayed until tomorrow) and all three of us could be on the same flight...it will be cool if they make it on....
Old 02-28-2005   #18
rustybrick

Yea, its a shame. Wifi is charged by the minute. I think my bill is up to $20 so far. I need to talk to someone at this hotel.

Get here soon. The weather tonight will stink and tomorrow am as well. I hope I get home and then get back here ok. I hope you guys get here before the bad weather, or you might be delayed more.
Old 02-28-2005   #19
Joseph Morin

Update, they won't be able to make the LAX flight. They are on a red-eye for tomorrow early am. So when you see them at the conference you will know why they look so tired!
Old 02-28-2005   #20
rustybrick

Search Algorithms and Research - I am going to try to head back home. Sorry for the lack of Q & A, but the snow is falling and I have a 1 hour trip home.