Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Search Marketing (PPC Ads)
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2004   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Overture Launches Local Ads

Overture's opened up its new local ad program, Local Match. I've written a story in SearchDay today for it, Overture Launches Local Match Listings Program. Basically, it's a separate buy from your regular or "Precision Match" purchases. It lets you target terms to geographical areas. Want to target LA? No need to use the city name -- just pick a geographical radius.

Last edited by dannysullivan : 06-28-2004 at 10:29 AM.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #2
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Local Match does not require a website. it can create business listings based on your input info. no monthly minimum spend. must have a physical business location.

this is one of the first times I think Overture may have done a better job than Google of lowering the cost of entry into web marketing.
Old 06-28-2004   #3
doppelganger
User Advocate

doppelganger is on a distinguished road
What about national advertisers?

My question about this new local match service is... What about national advertisers? Here's the demo that Overture outlines on their site:

http://www.content.overture.com/d/USm/ays/lm.jhtml

1.) Customers in your area go to a search site like Yahoo! and search for a product or service you offer.

2.) Your listing appears. Customers click on it.*

(Here's the one I'm concerned about)

3.) Your Locator page appears, displaying your address, store hours, a map, a link to your Web site and other customized information. View Locator page.*

What Overture doesn't explain is... Can you just drive people to a website instead of a locator page? Here's Overture's answer in the FAQ section for this new local match product:

Should I use Local Match if I already use Precision Match?
Yes, if your business wants to precisely target customers in a geographic area around your physical store location, or to generate calls for service within a particular area.

My basic question is this... Do I need to have a locator page? Or can I just drive these locally targeted users to client websites?

John
doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #4
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
All local ads will need locator pages. And that means any national or referral services will need to provide physical addresses for their clients, Overture tells me.
Old 06-28-2004   #5
doppelganger
User Advocate

doppelganger is on a distinguished road
Is this going to sour any relationships that Yahoo has with IYP partners?

Actually... do they have any IYP partners?
doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #6
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger
Is this going to sour any relationships that Yahoo has with IYP partners?

Actually... do they have any IYP partners?
This makes them an IYP... they backdoor it and get paid per search click.. like a 411 call... rolling this out early enough and branding it solidly may help them with the overall struggle against Google...
They have the YP connection and search...

Last edited by AussieWebmaster : 06-28-2004 at 11:23 AM.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #7
OptimizeOnline

OptimizeOnline has a spectacular aura aboutOptimizeOnline has a spectacular aura about
Local Ads Not Global

Local ads are not expected to launch in the UK until later this year. Overture hope to be able to launch throughout Europe in 2005.
OptimizeOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #8
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Even the Overture Reps have no real clue how it is all to work... they don't even have any places to suggest checking it out as no one has actually enrolled in the program today... or else the Platinum Rep I spoke with hadn't had her coffee yet!
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #9
paulavery

paulavery is on a distinguished road
I signed up for Local Match 2 minuets ago.
Seems to be quite separate from the regular account. I.e. I have a healthy balance in the account, but overture insisted on charging me $20 to sign up.

Paul
paulavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #10
diggz

diggz is on a distinguished road

I just set up a Local Match account too. They dinged me for $20, even though my account balance heathly. Perhaps this will go away later.

The setup process was fairly smooth, but it did take me about 15 minutes to set up. When I was done they told me it would take 2-5 business days to become active.

Here'e the welcome email I received:

"Welcome to Overture Local Match, and thank you for listing your business with us. We appreciate your interest and look forward to driving highly targeted customers to you.

Now that you've opened your account and submitted your local listing and keyword requests, the listings will go online on Overture's network of affiliate sites as soon as they have been approved. The process has two steps:

1) Editorial Review
Our Content Services team will review the local listings and keywords you submitted. This should be completed in three to five business days from the time you submitted them. Our Content Services team will perform a thematic check of your local listings and descriptions for relevancy to each requested keyword, and to ensure that your local listing complies with our Local Guidelines. All listing requests must undergo an editorial review to ensure that our users consistently have a relevant search experience which, in turn, will bring more targeted leads to your business.

2) Communication of Results
Upon completion of editorial review, we will send you an e-mail with results on each submission. You may also check the progress of your Local Listing request by logging into the DirecTraffic Center at https://secure.overture.com/s/dtc/ce...er/index.jhtml. Once there you can modify your listings by using the Manage Local Listings tab.

Because we want to help your business succeed, Overture provides each of its new advertisers with tips and advice that will help you effectively manage your account. This document, called "Getting Started with Overture's Local Match", will be emailed to your within the next 24 hours. In it you will learn about bidding strategies, search listing strategies, and how to track your results. You may also immediately visit our Advertiser Center http://www.overture.com/d/about/adve.../usindex.jhtml for more information.

Thanks again for your Local Listing request. We're eager to begin working with you to help you grow your business!"

As of today, no "Manage Local Listings" tab has appeared...perhaps this will show up when they activate my account.

-Diggz
diggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #11
paulavery

paulavery is on a distinguished road
I'm in.
Overture approved 21 of my listings.
It is a completely different account. Same info to log-in, but I have to select the account from the account drop down - so it shows two different balances.

Paul
paulavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004   #12
toyman37

Problems with Targeting to Geographic Terms

If Overture is targeting local ads against geographic terms typed by the user, how does it determine the region for single city queries that require disambiguation? Ex. "Washington Lawyers" - is this the city or state? is this Washington DC or one of 26 different Washingtons in the US?
Old 06-30-2004   #13
Paul

Paul is on a distinguished road
If I remember right, you can type in your zip code and/or State. That will let Local Match know which Washington would be correct. If a user from Seattle typed in "tax accounting", an advertiser ad from DC wouldn't show up. That's how I understand it anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm still in the learning mode on this, but so far I really like it. I requested 24 listings. They actually declined them all (because I only skimmed through the guidelines and missed that they don't accept "web based themed" businesses). But, a CSR proactively called me (actually, she left a voice mail), and said they would take it to editorial for further review. It still declined, but it was cool that they're on top of things.

I think my question is, if I sell items from a physical store, and also offer these items nationwide via an ecommerce site, will Local Match accept it? If so, I think I'll definitely be recommending this to others.

Paul
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004   #14
dannysullivan

Quote:
If Overture is targeting local ads against geographic terms typed by the user, how does it determine the region for single city queries that require disambiguation? Ex. "Washington Lawyers" - is this the city or state? is this Washington DC or one of 26 different Washingtons in the US?
A good question -- I'll see if I can get an answer.

Quote:
If I remember right, you can type in your zip code and/or State. That will let Local Match know which Washington would be correct. If a user from Seattle typed in "tax accounting", an advertiser ad from DC wouldn't show up. That's how I understand it anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
It depends. In some cases, no enter your ZIP code option will be offered. That means "tax accounting" would bring back no local matches at all, since there's no idea how to localize it. And similarly, "washington lawyers" would remain unknown as to whether that was washington state or washington dc.
Old 07-02-2004   #15
YahooSarah
Official Representative (formerly OvertureRep)

YahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of light
Answers to Local Match questions

Quote:
toyman37 - In the Local Match marketplace, explicit single city queries that could refer to more than one location (like “washington lawyer”) would favor results for the area with the largest population. For instance, if you type in “Washington Lawyers” you would likely get more results from advertisers in Washington state because it addresses more people than D.C.

Keep in mind that this only occurs in cases where the user query is less specific, or if one of our partners does not prompt/enable the user to enter in more specific information (i.e. zip code, street address, etc.) For this reason, we strongly recommend our distribution partners allow their users to refine search queries further if necessary.

Quote:
I think my question is, if I sell items from a physical store, and also offer these items nationwide via an ecommerce site, will Local Match accept it? If so, I think I'll definitely be recommending this to others.Paul
Paul - Yes...as long as you have or service a physical location, you can participate in Local Match. Glad you like the product!
YahooSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004   #16
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertureRep
toyman37 - In the Local Match marketplace, explicit single city queries that could refer to more than one location (like “washington lawyer”) would favor results for the area with the largest population. For instance, if you type in “Washington Lawyers” you would likely get more results from advertisers in Washington state because it addresses more people than D.C.
but there are probably more lawyers in DC than in the whole state of Washington