Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012   #1
jpf566

jpf566 is on a distinguished road
Fixing 4XX errors on site

I logged into Google Webmaster tools and exported a list of “web crawl errors” and was confused by the fact that it has many “crawl errors” that are linking from OUTSIDE DOMAINS.

Forgive me if the caffeine hasn’t kicked in yet but what is the relevance of that? Does that mean if I put a link to www.ebay.com/asdpj3poposjdpojd.html on my site then google will see that as a “crawl error” on eBays site? That can’t be true. Do I really need to address bad or old links that are coming from sites that I have no control over?
jpf566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Fixing 4XX errors on site

yes a link to a non existent page to your site generates a 404 - what you should have is a custom 404 response page for those - sorry this page does not exist please use our search to find what you need

you can also go to the sites sending them and get them to correct them