Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2004   #1
jen
JAVH

jen is on a distinguished road
Google launches search for scholars

Could this be the first big move to separate "pure/ academic" search from the commercially tainted version?

news.com reports that Google has launched search for scholars ."Google on Wednesday unveiled Google Scholar, a new search product aimed at helping users search scholarly literature such as technical reports, theses and abstracts. "

The report especially identifies the following main features:

It will have specially tailored search algorithms according to Anurag Acharya, a principal engineer at Google.

It will not initially carry Web search advertisements although "web search advertising accounts for almost all of Google's revenue, which was $805.9 million in the third quarter."
jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004   #2
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
I'm not yet convinced it is a good idea.

It seems a very odd policy to send surfers to what are effectively blank pages. Does Google really believe that it's user base is going to be impressed by a flood in the Google index of pages, where the actual content cannot even be accessed without subscription?

Surely Google should be emphasising the usefulness of actual and open content in the public domain for its search services and general relevancy strategy?

Last edited by Marcia : 11-18-2004 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Unnecessary URL removed, comments can be posted here.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004   #3
kidmercury
life is a game we play.

kidmercury will become famous soon enoughkidmercury will become famous soon enough
how are they going to make money off this if advertising is not the plan?

i love the concept though. wish i had something like this when i was in college!
kidmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004   #4
Phoenix

Phoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nice
This is a good move in my opinion, having to write many scientific papers on subjects in biology, this will definately help, and one way to help make it faster to find relevant "scholarly" articles. One of the key features I think is important is the fact that "citations" are referenced which can then be drawn to other papers on the subject.

An example search: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl...ing+depression

Of a very unknown about topic in Evolution, bring about a surprising number of results.

However some of these links take me to places that require access to paid subscription databases, which if you are attending any university you have full access to. So the shoe fits. If you don't and you are the scholarly sort then you might already have an subscription.

I think the breath of coverage in terms of sites is limited a bit. I see many sites that should show up for some of my searches, but this is beta.

Also Google overs ability to "web search" for documents, with many searches preformatted so you can find it easily.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004   #5
orion

orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

Google Scholar is an excellent idea.

Since results are less contaminated with commercial noise, one could even do IR tests normally one would do with TREC collections. Still there is a shot for running such experiments. Sure there is room for improvements, but is a good start.

BTW an EXACT mode search for local context analysis using

"http://scholar.google.com/scholar?num=100&q=%22local+context+analysis%22"

commands the engine to return 100 results per page.

I find kind of odd to see Google adding the following description to records belonging to well known scientific work of IR colleages (emphasis added)

J Ponte, WB Croft - Cited by 211
Google, Inc. Subscribe (Full Service), Register (Limited Service, Free),
Login. Search: The ACM Digital Library The Guide. ...
Proceedings of the 21st annual international ACM SIGIR …, 1998 - portal.acm.org –

Here is another one

GW Gurnas… - Cited by 268
Communications of the ACM, 1987 - portal.acm.org –

And another one

GW Furnas, S Deerwester, ST Dumais, TK Landauer, … - Cited by 68
Proceedings of the 11th annual international ACM SIGIR …, 1988 - portal.acm.org –

Clicking on “Cited by…” link sends me to another results page with some entries populated like the above.

Orion
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004   #6
kidmercury
life is a game we play.

kidmercury will become famous soon enoughkidmercury will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion

Since results are less contaminated with commercial noise, one could even do IR tests normally one would do with TREC collections.
but how long will it remain free of commercial "contamination"? if google scholar grows, i would wager an seo sub-industry would develop that is aimed at optimizing commercial research for google scholar.

if that were to happen i think it'd be a good thing, as it would help make commercial research more accessible and would expand the market potential for that industry by making it more accessible to the public.
kidmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004   #7
orion

orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Good point.

I hope they don't return free results of non scholar nature. On the other hand I can see some potential if they run paid SEM results connected scholar literature (books, journal suscriptions, etc) in a limited, restricted fashion.

I can even see new frontiers. Imagine SEO services for positioning scientific papers, abstracts and theses. Imagine providing this service in coordination with universities and libraries. Interesting. Here we go, San Diego State, Arizona State, CalTech, Harvard...

Orion

Last edited by orion : 11-20-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2004   #8
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
I can even see new frontiers. Imagine SEO services for positioning scientific papers, abstracts and theses. Imagine providing this service in coordination with universities and libraries. Interesting. Here we go, San Diego State, Arizona State, CalTech, Harvard...
Definitely new frontiers, specially for universities. I can see universities sponsoring for SEO services for their professors. However, do you think that professors would dig into their pockets for such services if no economical support was given?
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004   #9
orion

At the level of individual professors, nope.

The right strategy at other university levels, I'll let other guess which one. Watch out for sharks.

Orion
Old 11-20-2004   #10
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Talking Here is my Shark Repellent Suit

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004   #11
enfield

Google Scholar

I'm a climate researcher. I have tried Google Scholar; it's great, it works, I will use it. In fact, I will use it before I use a proprietary abstraction service like Web of Science, whose interface is way too complex for everyday use. However, Google Scolar has its limitations, though it is sure to improve. First (for example), if Google does not have a relationship with a publisher, it will only find a subset of the relevant articles published by that house or society, namely those in the hands of second and third parties (such as the authors themselves). Second, the citation counts are not complete, nor should we expect them to be. They may be useful, but don't rely on them for a tenure review panel.

RE postings about having to pay for results: Even if you don't subscribe to a results source, at least you get a reference that you can track down elsewhere (library or whatever). Having that reference is half the battle. Often, however free full text sources will pop up in addition to the proprietary one. Many authors maintain their own websites with downloadable PDFs.

RE posting about advertisements, it is my understanding that these will follow after a honeymoon period. But that's not necessarily bad. The advertisements will be specifically aimed at scholars, initially; things that might actually be of use to you, professionally, not the usual commercial pap. It won't surprise me if the targeting becomes "smart", tailoring ads to the interests implied by the browser's search spectrum itself.
Old 09-18-2007   #12
smjacob

smjacob is on a distinguished road
Re: Google launches search for scholars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidmercury View Post
how are they going to make money off this if advertising is not the plan?

i love the concept though. wish i had something like this when i was in college!
First they create a regular user set and after that they introduce publicity. If they used publicity in the program's beginning they would make people's interest drop. Just like in the case of any business (like online pharmacies). First their prices are low and after they have an almost guaranteed market, they increase the prices.

Last edited by JohnW : 09-18-2007 at 08:42 PM. Reason: removed link
smjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #13
scubadollar

scubadollar is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Google launches search for scholars

This is very interesting and I agree that a whole new arena of SEO will most certainly accompany it. I can imagine authors editing papers to optimize keyword density, imbedded text etc. Of course advertising will follow as that is how Google makes money period. Targeted Ads will of course be prevalent and even unlock a new dimension of advertisers who would tehn be willing to take the Internet leap.

Scary how much Power Google has and will continue to have over what we see and experience online.

$
scubadollar is offline   Reply With Quote