Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011   #1
goldsteinmedia
Web Designer

goldsteinmedia is on a distinguished road
Featured Section and Dupe Content Issue

Hey Everyone,

I have a client's site where the categories are what control what post goes to the featured section of the front page. Is there a way to choose a second category without creating duplicate content? Canonical plugin?

Please let me know! Thanks
goldsteinmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Featured Section and Dupe Content Issue

I would use a snippet of the article for the front page and thus have more there for readers to choose from and then jump to the inner area where the article gets posted by itself in full
Old 11-29-2011   #3
goldsteinmedia
Web Designer

goldsteinmedia is on a distinguished road

That's what we're doing. Just a snippet then they enter the site to the main full doc. But the way the snippet gets to the featured section is via the Category function. I thought that the more categories you click the more copies are made. Sorry I'm doing this in Wordpress.
goldsteinmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #4
bhartzer
Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing Expert

bhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura about

goldsteinmedia, AussieWebmaster is right. As long as it is a snippet of the article, there won't be a duplicate content issue. Google compares one FULL page's content to another full page's content when it comes to duplicate content. So if it's a snippet then you have nothing to worry about as long as you have other content on the page.

By the way, in WordPress you use the "more" tag on the post or article to split up the article like you're suggesting.