Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > MSN Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2004   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
New MSN Search Look???

Please read Gary's SEW blog posting named Is This the New Look of MSN Search?. Can this be the look MSN Search is going for?

What are your thoughts?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004   #2
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
3) A link to a Spanish language version of the interface
Wohoooo!!! Thank you MSN for thinking of us Hispanics

Quote:
+ Finally, and what I found most interesting, an option to use three "sliders" to manipulate the ranking of pages. In other words, add or reduce the weight of certain ranking factors. Some might even call it personalization since the results I see might be different than the ones someone else views for the identical search.
The sliders are labeled:
+ Updated recently--Static
+ Very popular--Less popular
+ Approximate match--Exact match
I think this is what is most exciting, because now you are not dealing with one algorithm, but a global refined to a personal usage which could end up to endless possibilities. Ouch! Orion, where are you?? Need your help here amigo.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004   #3
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
>>Very popular--Less popular

Click tracking then?
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004   #4
jamesa

jamesa will become famous soon enough
>> Click tracking then?

I'm guessing link pop.

The slider concept is a great idea, though... kind of a poweruser feature. Will make optimization very interesting.

(BTW they must of read my mind - that was one of my secret weapons I was going to use to take over the world someday, LOL).
jamesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004   #5
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Msn

Rusty, your "this" link is a little fuzzy...It's the same as the "Search Builder" link in the article, which is fuzzy too...

I like it. A couple clients I ran were top-two

Really though, obviously this is the look at the results. How and where are the sponsored listings going to appear? How many banners will I see? Will I get pop-ups?

Last edited by Chris Boggs : 10-28-2004 at 10:35 AM. Reason: found answer to question
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004   #6
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
Sliders Are Cool

This is a very big development with major implications for how searchers might "bake their own" algo weightings. [cough cough]

Good find Gary! Now the question is, is MSN just pulling our leg? Will their users "get it"?
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote