Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Paid Inclusion
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2004   #1
TheotherTim
Official Y! Rep

TheotherTim will become famous soon enoughTheotherTim will become famous soon enough
Lotso
To clarify:
Yahoo addurl for inclusion into the search engine is free for all sites and for inclusion in the directory it is free for non-commercial sites. Why dont you try submitting to our free add url page and post back on how it works. (Try a decent quality page not spam so it is a valid test)
http://submit.search.yahoo.com/free/request
And yes you need a yahoo id
Thanks, Tim

NFFC- Interesting point. Depends if you look at PI as inclusion into the index for a fee or paying for a direct relationship between the content provider/advertiser and the Search engine.

Last edited by TheotherTim : 09-20-2004 at 01:50 AM.
TheotherTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Ah.... since I always use the directory... I have never submitted to Yahoo that way.

So Danny's post is a broader line than I first thought.

Last edited by Elisabeth : 09-20-2004 at 07:12 PM. Reason: linked post back to original discussion
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #3
lots0

Hi Tim,

The Official Yahoo rep, cool...

I have used Yahoo’s new free submit on some pages and so far I have no complaints, other than I don’t particularly care to have any SE attempt to track my submissions. But in my opinion, it is Yahoo’s right to attempt to track free submissions if they want.

Yahoo still does offer a paid inclusion,
Quote:
Site Match™ and Site Match Xchange:
- Ensure that your web pages are included in the Yahoo! Search index.
- Guaranteed quality review by editors for relevance.
- Not intended for placement or ranking in search results.
Source:
htp://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html
So IMO Yahoo is still a Pay For Inclusion (PFI) search engine.

Overture spiders and adds pages for free (or they used too), but they are still a Pay Per Click (PPC).
Old 09-20-2004   #4
TheotherTim
Official Y! Rep

TheotherTim will become famous soon enoughTheotherTim will become famous soon enough
Since less than 1% of the pages in the index are paid inclusion the name paid inclusion engine is probably misleading. It is really a crawler based engine with a paid inclusion component to it.
TheotherTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #5
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
>Since less than 1% of the pages in the index are paid inclusion the name paid inclusion engine is probably misleading.

Depends which angle you are coming from I suppose. Mostly I look at things from the webmasters angle, many times I think there is a case to me made for the search engines paying the web sites for having access to such wonderful content.

Again on the economical with the truth aspect I don't think Yahoo are completely in the clear either. It is my understanding that Yahoo says that PFI does not lead to a boost in rankings. It is also my understanding that sites that are human reviewed by web search [not directory] and "pass" get a boost. All PFI sites are human reviewed, ergo.....

I think that some of the major engines need to clean up their acts in regard to who, what and how many $ can help with natural listings.

I'd be happiest with a system that allowed webmasters to request, and pay for yearly, a human review which could either give a small boost or even a fall for those web sites. Those that get a boost would be able to request further support regarding indexing problems on the basis that they are valueable sites that contribute to the search engines sucess in selling their ads. A lot of problems need to be addressed, but it could *maybe* address the needs of the publishers of quality content [thats us], with the end users that are yearning for that content [thats the searchers], and enable the freeloaders that ride off our work [thats the search engines ] to improve their index quality and still turn a profit.
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004   #6
danielray

danielray is on a distinguished road
Question question

hello everyone,

I have a question. If I will submit my URL directly to yahoo submission that means that It will not be necessary to submit to alltheweb and altavista?

many thanks
daniel ray
danielray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004   #7
Red5

Red5 is on a distinguished road
Hi Daniel,

If you click on the Add a Site links on AllTheWeb and Altavista you get taken to the Yahoo! submit page, so a single submission will be enough IMO. ;-)
Red5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #8
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
That's correct, Overture SiteMatch will get you inclusion into their entire distribution network.

"A single point of submission into a database that powers search results for multiple engines and portals, including Yahoo!, AltaVista, AlltheWeb and others, providing access to the majority of active Internet users*."
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote