Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2004   #1
neckbone

neckbone is on a distinguished road
Weight of keywords in anchor text

howdy folks,

I'd like to know if someone can clear up something for me. I appreciate your input.

I made a straight html static link to another page within my site. Does the anchor text carry weight for the current page or does it carry weight for the page that I'm linking to? Does the anchor text carry weight for both pages?

If I use keywords for the current page in the anchor text, will the anchor text carry weight for this current page?

If I use keywords for the page I'm linking to in the anchor text, will the anchor text carry weight for this linked page?

I'm sorry if some of this sounds redundant, I'm having a little trouble trying to find the right word for my questions.

Thanks for your advice,
neckbone
neckbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004   #2
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
the anchor text counts for improving relevancy of both pages, but it likely usually has a much greater effect on the page you are linking to (vice the page you are linking from)
Old 09-10-2004   #3
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by neckbone
I made a straight html static link to another page within my site. Does the anchor text carry weight for the current page or does it carry weight for the page that I'm linking to?
Your first assumption is the correct one. keep in mind that it can carry weight to pages within your own site as well as external ones.
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004   #4
neckbone

neckbone is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.
neckbone
neckbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #5
Babu

Babu is on a distinguished road
Some addition.

Anchor text is benificial for the page in which you are linking. Anchor text is just like any other keyword on the page so page benifits for anchor text is same like placing any keyword in the page.
Babu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004   #6
AdamJewell

AdamJewell is on a distinguished road
Get your anchor text right and you can rock for most any mildly competitive term you want. There is a lot more under your control than you think without having to chase down endless links from other sites, though inbounds definitely help.
AdamJewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #7
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
It's been my experience that keywords in anchor text can carry a bit more weight than regular text for the page that they're on. It can also make a difference where on the page the links are located.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #8
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Marcia, just a bit.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #9
Rnn

Rnn is an unknown quantity at this point
Can someone give me an example of a well written text link
Rnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #10
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
>>an example of a well written text link

<a href="http://www.searchenginewatch.com/">SEO Conferences</a>

It could also be

<a href="http://www.searchenginewatch.com/" title="search engine optimization conference">SEO Conferences</a>

but there's been no substantial evidence that the title attribute adds much aside from size to the code.
Old 09-15-2004   #11
Mofo

Mofo is on a distinguished road
What about....

What about #searchenginewatch as in:

<a href="http://www.searchenginewatch.com/index.html#searchenginewatch">SEO Conferences</a>

<a href="http://www.searchenginewatch.com/index.html#searchenginewatch" title="search engine optimization conference">SEO Conferences</a>

or is it too spammy

Mofo
Mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #12
Marcia

See this thread on internal linking to the homepage

Internal Homepage Linking

There are some who make use of named anchors, but being on the conservative side and considering how Google has been getting *confused* lately about index pages, for a link to a main homepage of any site my personal preference is to have as many as possible linking using the forward slash at the end of the link for the sake of consistency and safety.

That said, having seen some good use made of named anchors in links I'd say they're definitely worth a try for interior pages if they're used in accordane with the specifications.

As far as spammy is concerned, what's in line with W3C specifications and is used for what would appear to be a legitimate, good reason to the human eye should be fine. As with anything, avoiding overkill on any one thing is the conservative way to go, which is what some people feel comfortable with.