Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Member's Lounge > The Padded Room
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2006   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Best Wishes, Search Engine Watch!

Today's my last day as editor in chief of Search Engine Watch. I've got a post up on the Search Engine Watch Blog that explains a bit more about my departure. Elisabeth will be doing her own post shortly on the future of the site.

I just wanted to thank publicly the moderators over there that have built the forums up into an incredible resource. I gave them a private thanks and goodbye earlier, but there can never be enough praise for them.

Similarly, I wanted to thank the entire community for having built this forum up from literally nothing into a warm, comfortable and informative place where people can talk about search. It's been an amazing achievement, and one that I expect to continue to support by taking part in discussions as I can and certainly linking over to anything good over here from my new site at Search Engine Land.

Last edited by dannysullivan : 11-30-2006 at 09:50 AM.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #2
egain

egain is on a distinguished road
Said it before, but good luck with the new venture Danny.

Seems a good setup, from all I've heard thus far
egain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #3
soloseo

soloseo is on a distinguished road
Best wishes

Thanks for your hard work and insight, I look forward to what's ahead over at SE land.
soloseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #4
toprank
Lee Odden

toprank will become famous soon enoughtoprank will become famous soon enough
Hey Danny, hopefully you won't be a complete stranger to the SEW forums. Perhaps you'll be starting a new forum over at Search Engine Land? Best Regards and see you next week.
toprank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #5
badboybart

badboybart is on a distinguished road
A sad day for SEW, looking forward to Search Engine Land!

Good luck Danny, thanks to you and this community I have a passion for SEO that bores the socks of most people...but we love it!
badboybart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #6
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Jumping in as early as I can today - though I was already dreading this post, and this day - I figure it's better just to get it done and over with, and go back to bed - after literally being up all night sick to my stomach over it...

(just kidding, apparently matthew & I have some food poisoning- NOT FUN!)

In any case, I won't cloud this post with the gory details.

This post is for Danny as much as it is for the future of SEW. Danny knows just how much I personally respect him, and that I, as well as nearly every other SEO out there owe and truly appreciate him for helping create this industry and our careers.

I started reading SEW back in 1999, when I started down this path, and later, in 2001 began speaking at SES conferences. In 2004, danny asked me to launch the SEW forums and oversee the community here, which as he said, is in our minds, a solid crew of folks from many different experience levels and points of view - something fair and relatively unbiased, which is what we set out to do.

Then, in April of 2006, I yet again, couldn't say no to Danny when he offered me my current job of Search Engine Watch's Managing Editor, taking on more responsiblities on the site. And I have also taken on more of a role at several SES events, and have a part in organizing some of those, namely the localized SEW Live! Networking events. I am looking foward to all of the 2007 events in which I still get to work alongside Danny Sullivan and Chris Sherman.

So, as this day brings mixed emotions for me - sad, because I do thoroughly enjoy working alongside the esteemed Danny Sullivan, and of course, in an ideal world, he would be staying here. But let's be honest - 10 years at the same job can leave anyone wanting more, or rather - something different, that's part of life, and I respect Danny for doing what's right for him. So in the end, I can do nothing but wish my friend and colleague the best, because he has to do what is right for him, and I and know that this isn't really goodbye.

For me, staying at Search Engine Watch is about honoring all of Danny's (and Chris Shermans') hard work and dedication for the industry. To walk away from that, I felt was the wrong thing to do, when more than anything, the site needs to main true to its mission of bringing news, information and issues in search marketing to the public that clearly is hungry for all the digestable content it can stomach. (ok, another bad reference to my food poisoning

But more seriously, I've always felt that SEW and Danny Sullivan shaped the way I view the industry, looking at all sides of an issue and points of view, fairly and with a balanced view before I develop an informed opinion, and if I have any power to share that with others, well, that is my personal and professional mission for the near future.

This industry has always thrived on the sharing of information and co-opetition, so I'll continue to support SEL and the crew over there, as I consider all of them friends and colleagues that have well earned my respect. I look at this as an opportunity for other known and respected members of the community to step up (and some will be) - and continue on their good work with their own passion and knowledge. And I do expect to see Danny et al around these parts from time to time, as they all know they are more than welcome.

This brand and community has a clear place in this industry, and I think that while much speculation has been made about the future of SEW, everyone must also realize how relevant it will remain. The community has the chance to embrace that, and furthermore, be a part of the evolution of SEW, and make of it what you want out of an industry digest. Like Danny, I'm always open to constructive criticisms,and listening to suggestions from the community.

We all need to look at this as an opportunity to take into consideration all of the past efforts and take the next step to adapt in this industry which moves at lightspeed.

with love and best wishes for everyone,
elisabeth
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #7
IgorMordkovich
Member Since 2003 ... new name.

IgorMordkovich is on a distinguished road
Danny ... I know we (people) get attached to things I mean SEW is your baby and yet even though it can be hard ... we do need to move on and create new (better) things. You're doing just that.

With time you'll look at SEW as a step that took you to something bigger and better. I truly hope so.

Owners of SEW ......... hmm .... I feel bad for them as they just lost their best "horses" that moved this thing. Very soon they'll understand this.

Once again ... good luck.

Igor Mordkovich (NOT the owner of the marketing magazine)
IgorMordkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #8
bhartzer
Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing Expert

bhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura about
I wish you all the best. You've got a great loyal following and I'm sure you'll continue to be very successful in everything you continue to do, Danny.
Old 11-30-2006   #9
David Temple

David Temple is on a distinguished road
Danny, thanks for your contributions not only SEW over the years but to the entire industry. I've always been a Sullivanite and will continue to follow you into Search Engine Land. Here's wishing you many more years of leading the world of search!
David Temple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #10
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
Everything I try to write ends up sounding like a eulogy!!

Thanks for everything Danny. Thanks for your insights, the opportunity to speak at SES Sydney back in 2002, and the opportunity to work with you as a Mod here for the past 2 1/2 years. But mostly - thanks for the calm, even handed consideration and understanding you always give to any topic or issue.

Best regards
Chris
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #11
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Quote:
Danny, thanks for your contributions not only SEW over the years but to the entire industry.
Exactly what I had intended to say. Funny I should chose this moment to post.

Danny, thank you for all you have done - for all of us. It must be very satisfying to be such a huge contributor to something so important. I am speaking here of both SEW and the industry as a whole.

Thank you - and rest assured I'll be paying close attention to what you do and say, as always.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #12
Brian M

Brian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really nice
Thank you!

Hi Danny,

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all that you have done for the search industry. I look forward to seeing you over at Search Engine Land, and have already subscribed to the RSS feed.

You are the best!!!

Brian M
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #13
joeduck
JoeDuck

joeduck is on a distinguished road
So long and thanks for all the ... SEO fish

Danny - Very glad I finally got to meet you at the WMW PubCon and like many in the crazy internet biz I'm really looking forward to the insight and reporting you and the new gang will provide over at Search Engine Land.
Thank you, good luck, and see you ... online.
joeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #14
fulton savage

fulton savage is on a distinguished road
Cheers, Danny. We'll continue to support you and your efforts regardless of where they can be found.
fulton savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #15
Jonathan Mendez

Jonathan Mendez will become famous soon enough
Common Sense

Danny is the Thomas Paine of our industry and just as Common Sense provided a platform to share ideas about political revolution Danny & SEW provides fertile ground for sharing ideas about the great technological revolution of our time, search.

Ironically some, including Wired Magazine have called for Thomas Paine to be the patron saint of the the Internet. If there is to be a patron saint of Search it is clearly Danny Sullivan.
Jonathan Mendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #16
Woz

Thanks Danny! Onwards and Upwards.
Old 11-30-2006   #17
kid disco
SEO Hotshot Extraordinaire

kid disco is on a distinguished road
All the best to you, Mr. Sullivan. I am eagerly looking forward to what you have in store for us.
kid disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #18
cre8pc
Usability Consultant

cre8pc will become famous soon enough
Elisabeth, you lead one of the largest SEO/SEM forums out there. There are few forums that can claim to be managed by a woman. Danny leaves it in your good, caring hands, and I thank you both for that.

Kim Krause Berg
Cre8asiteforums
cre8pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #19
dsarathy
RankQuest

dsarathy is on a distinguished road
Thanks and All the Best!

Hi Danny,

You are our inspiration for us here at Search Engine Watch. Thanks for all your efforts towards the community. And best wishes for your new venture Search Engine Land !

We really enjoy your association. And would like to continue it.

D Sarathy.
RankQuest
dsarathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #20
glenn
Provocateur

glenn is on a distinguished road
Post-Modern SEL

"Every day is a new beginning. Treat it that way. Stay away from what might have been, and look at what can be."--Marsha Petrie Sue

Last edited by glenn : 12-01-2006 at 12:49 AM.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote