Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > MSN Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2006   #1
ramki

ramki is on a distinguished road
Unhappy MSN Search Vs Windows Live Search: What's The Difference?

Hi,

Can you please tell me, what is the difference between MSN Search & Live Search. Why should Microsoft come out with Live search when MSN search is already exist?

Regards
Ramki
ramki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #2
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
I'll give you the cynical answer and the serious one.

Did you know that some bands change their names after they start out? See if they do badly, change your name, and no one remembers that it is you. I had a friend in a band who told me once how they'd play the same clubs under a new name after being told they'd never play there again when they were under their old name.

More seriously, last year Microsoft decided that the way to win on the web was to make Windows some how come "live" to the internet. Windows Live is supposed to be the extension of the Windows operating system, your sort of desktop to the web. So everything is being rebranded. MSN remains, but just as an entertainment portal. MSN Search is dead, dead, dead. Well, supposed to be. By the end of this week, you should find it no longer exists, with Windows Live taking its place.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #3
LizDonaldson

LizDonaldson is on a distinguished road
MSN not sending referer data

One thing that has changed for sure and noticed by some folks in the yahoo webanalytics newsgroups is that MSN is not sending referer data any longer. If you check out your MSN traffic in your favorite web analytics package you will see you visits from MSN fall to zero on 9/14. This is not good.
LizDonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #4
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Liz, the referral data problem has been posted already, but MSN reports that it was an unintended result, and they are looking into fixing the bug.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #5
Northwind

Northwind is on a distinguished road
Anyone know if this has been resoved?

NW,
Northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #6
Brian M

Brian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really nice
Yes, adCenter411 gave the word in another thread

Hi Northwind,

Yes, the referral data problem has been resolved, and I can see MSN referrals again in the logs.

adCenter411 gave us notification in this thread:

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...ad.php?t=13918

Brian M
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #7
Tyt

Tyt is on a distinguished road
Google vs. Windows Live

Can anyone tell me the difference?
And why should I choose one above the other to search for web pages?
Tyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #8
markov

markov is on a distinguished road
I dont see any difference.
markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #9
fischermx

fischermx is on a distinguished road
For some unknown reason, they're slightly differente. I'm seeing this right now looking for several keywords.
I guess it might be something related to being served by different datacenters.
fischermx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #10
HelpDeskJim

search.msn.com (MSN search) no longer exists. If you try the URL you will be redirected to Windows Live Search. MSN Search was rebranded as Windows Live Search.
Old 10-11-2006   #11
markov

markov is on a distinguished road
That's true...we can notice the site being redirected. Windows Live looks excellent in appeal !!!
markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006   #12
smartie

msn

please can someone help me, i keep getting gateway off line when trying to log onto msn? what is gateway? thank you
Old 10-16-2006   #13
Tyt

Tyt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskJim
search.msn.com (MSN search) no longer exists. If you try the URL you will be redirected to Windows Live Search. MSN Search was rebranded as Windows Live Search.
yeah I know this, but can you mention the differences between the two search engines... because I am writing a report about Live Vs Google!!
Tyt is offline   Reply With Quote