Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > Searching Tips & Techniques
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2006   #1
SEMBasics
Free Link Building Course

SEMBasics has a spectacular aura aboutSEMBasics has a spectacular aura aboutSEMBasics has a spectacular aura about
How To Best Use Del.icio.us For Traffic?

Anyone have any tips on how to best use del.icio.us to help promote one's websites? I have recently signed up, added a few friends, and am trying to add interesting, useful sites before I add my own (which I'll do when I'm finished with my first set of tutorials). My sense is that it may be wise to make some of the more "popular" del.icio.us members my friends, but for now I've stuck solely to people who are related to my industry. What do other people think? Any good tips out there?

All the best,

Moshe
SEMBasics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006   #2
EmergenceMedia

EmergenceMedia is on a distinguished road
Quick Del.icio.us Tips...right off the bat.

Moshe,

I've got some quick answers for you...

1. Write Good, Relevent, Useful Content.
I know its an obvious one, but its one to remember. People will only bookmark what they find interesting. I dunno what your website in particular is about, but watch what's popular on del.icio.us for a couple of days to get an idea.

2. Get Popular On Another Site, Leap Frog to Del.icio.us
If you can make it to sites like Digg.com, BoingBoing, Kottke, instructables.com - anything influential - chances are the cascading effect of the web, will have your site be popular on del.icio.us too.

3. Use Del.icio.us Like a Directory
Find the best articles tutorials and bookmark them on del.icio.us with the appropriate tags. People searching for similar content, matching your tags, may find your site and (if they like it) bookmark it, building your "capital" so to speak.

[Update: Nevermind on #4, I checked out your profile and found your site. You've already got this down. Just leavin' it for other folks]

4. www.emergence-media.com/2006/08/social-media-optimization-emergence-medias-5-themes-of-smo/ (In this case, its a big word for "Add to Del.icio.us")
Make sure each of your turtorial has a "Add to Del.icio.us" link (along with email to a friend etc) and as your content is found, it'll be picked up by visitors and maybe even added to del.icio.us. Look at blogs, etc for this.

Last edited by Chris_D : 09-10-2006 at 11:43 PM.
EmergenceMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006   #3
SEMBasics

SEMBasics has a spectacular aura aboutSEMBasics has a spectacular aura aboutSEMBasics has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the helpful tips.

I have, however, a couple of questions.

1) With regards to point number 2, I've heard the same advice the other way around (i.e,. that if one wants to do well on Digg.com it is worthwhile first becoming popular on del.icio.us). With that said, which of the Social Media sites are worth targeting first (with the assumption that doing well on one social media site will help one do well on other social media sites)? My assumption is that it is probably best to target the smaller one's first (as I assume that it may be easier to do well on those), and then use success there to help with the larger social media sites such as del.icio.us and digg.com.

2) Anyone have any advice about how best to use "friends" on social media sites? I imagine that if used well they can help one do better.

Note: this all assumes, of course, that one has decent content. As EmergenceMedia pointed out, nothing can help one on these sites if there isn't any sort of decent content behind one's efforts.
Old 09-14-2006   #4
EmergenceMedia

EmergenceMedia is on a distinguished road
1): Youre definately right Moshe and thanks for the correction. I think David Armano puts it well graphically at:
Influence Ripples 2.0

This is the same technique done in the PR world (getting mentioned in smaller papers to leverage to bigger papers) and in world of intelligence/espionage (planting stories on minor papers that get picked up on the majors)

2): As for using friends, I havnt seen any examples. Ozgur Alaz has an example of sending links to others in your del.icio.us network, but for me that comes close to spamming:
Delicious Hack: How to send messages via Delicious

Sorry, I cant help much more.
EmergenceMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #5
SEMBasics

I think that's a pretty clever way of contacting people that "Delicious Hack" came up with. Nonetheless, I agree that it's a bit spammy. It would be nice if del.icio.us could provide some sort of means of contacting other members. I, for one, would be interested in forming a del.icio.us group of people in the SEO industry wherein we could share interesting sites and pages that we find. I'm sure other people in other industries would find the same thing helpful.

For now, I think your idea of tagging related content is the best way to go.

All the best
Moshe