Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Advertising
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2006   #1
sodahip

sodahip is on a distinguished road
Question PPC Targeted to Mexico

Hi All,

I have a client that wants to expand their PPC efforts to include Mexico. I know this market has huge potential so I am looking for some guidance as to how to go about getting this started.

Can I just copy most of my current campaign and target it to Mexico?
Do they search using english or spanish both?
Do I translate my ads to spanish?
Do I add spanish keyword phrases?

I have tried to do some research on the topic and have not come up with much to go on.

So any links to some research would be much appreciated as well!

R
sodahip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #2
sodahip

No one wants to share??
Old 07-19-2006   #3
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
I know that there are many people in the state of Texas where I live that speak Spanish, however, they are not literate in Spanish because they were taught to read and write in school in English. They know Spanish just so they can talk to Grandma or their parents. So it seems giving them a Spanish ad would flop since they can't read it.

So this is what I'd do:

If it were me, I'd do ads just for Mexico that were in all Spanish: keywords and ads. Then, I'd do some English and Spanish for the US Hispanic market and see which ones converted better. I think for the Spanish speakers in the States, you might need to do some experimentation to see what the sweet spot is.
grnidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Okay.... you really do want to translate pages and ads for the Spanish market.... you are looking for Mexican traffic - they speak Spanish - do not try the 'Ugly American' appraoch of thinking everyone should speak English.

The terms will be cheaper to buy in Spanish (generally) so the expense of the translations will be made up by the lower PPC cost.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #5
sodahip

Thanks,

That's what I thought - but I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing out on any recent research etc...

Cheers!

R
Old 07-27-2006   #6
MsCleo

MsCleo is on a distinguished road
I recommend that you do not use software to translate but that you do hire a reputable translator. Mexican Spanish is different than Cuban Spanish or Standard Spanish.

If you want, PM me and I will help.
MsCleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #7
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCleo
I recommend that you do not use software to translate but that you do hire a reputable translator. Mexican Spanish is different than Cuban Spanish or Standard Spanish.

Friendly offer - you will be a great assett to the board - welcome!!!
Old 07-27-2006   #8
sodahip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCleo

Thank you so much MsCleo for the offer.

I would never use a software program to translate - I know how they can butcher a language (I speak French as a second language and it drives me nuts when I see translations done word for word with no consideration of what is actually trying to be said )

I found a co-worker that has a friend who is a translator from Mexico, so I think I should have my bases covered! I will definitely keep you in mind if we need to translate anything else!
Old 07-28-2006   #9
iank ppc
World Media PPC

iank ppc is on a distinguished road
Mexico Search

I currently run several Mexico and Brazil campaigns for my clients, and would recommend translating your campaign to spanish, as these keywords are much less expensive. Google's spanish targeting has not performed as well as Terespondo(Yahoo Mexico), so I would also recommend opening a small campaign their. Since Terespondo is based out of Mexico, you would have to do a buy in Pesos, and convert them to your currency.

Good luck!
iank ppc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #10
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank ppc
I currently run several Mexico and Brazil campaigns for my clients, and would recommend translating your campaign to spanish, as these keywords are much less expensive. Google's spanish targeting has not performed as well as Terespondo(Yahoo Mexico), so I would also recommend opening a small campaign their. Since Terespondo is based out of Mexico, you would have to do a buy in Pesos, and convert them to your currency.

Good luck!
You can pay in dollars....
Old 07-28-2006   #11
btanta

Mexico Localization

Hi, Sodahip,

I regards to your question, I ran a large campaign targeting Latin America and can only stress the importance of language customization. Spanish isn't just good enough when you go to Latin America. Ms Cleo is absolutely right, you also have to make sure your Spanish is the correct dialect for the country you're targeting, as in, Spanish in Puerto Rico is not the same Spanish in Mexico, and even parts of Mexico. So beware that you don't engage in this endeavor with one giant language wand. The more customization you do with the adtext and landing page, the better your results will be in generality.

And just a note, if you want to expand into other Latin American countries, the doozey to remember is that Brazil speaks primarily Portuguese, not Spanish!

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by btanta : 07-28-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2006   #12
JP Khoueiri

Smile Hope this helps

Can I just copy most of my current campaign and target it to Mexico?
NO THIS IS A DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN. YOU WILL NEED TO CUSTOMIZE THE CAMPAIGN FOR SPANISH/MEXICO MARKET-PLACE

Do they search using english or spanish both?
THEY START WITH SPANISH AND THEN TRY ENGLISH, IF THEY KNOW ENGLISH. CASE IN POINT START WITH A SPANISH ONLY CAMPAIGN AND EXPAND FROM THERE.

Do I translate my ads to spanish?
YES!

Do I add spanish keyword phrases?
YES. I WOULD START WITH SPANISH ON GOOGLE.COM.MX/YAHOO.COM.MX AND THEN EXPAND FROM THERE.

IT CAN TAKE A FEW WEEKS TO GET INTO THE SYSTEM LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED HELP AND I CAN TRY TO CONTACT MY CONTACTS AT GOOGLE/YAHOO IF THEY HAVE NOT MOVED ON.

LET ME KNOW HOW ELSE I MAY HELP.
Old 07-28-2006   #13
sodahip

Thank you all for your input and advice! I just found out that my client does not have a spanish speaking sales rep, so I think the expansion into Mexico is moot.

Thanks again!

R
Old 07-28-2006   #14
AussieWebmaster

Hey if you do this well enough the site can close the sale and no rep is needed!!!
Old 07-28-2006   #15
sodahip

Unfortunately a sales rep is required to close the sale (real estate related)...I wish we could sell right through the website - although I don't think there are too many people out there with $1M limits on their credit cards!
Old 07-28-2006   #16
PPCMX

Pay Per Click in Mexico

I am new to this forum, but have been monitoring the groups for years. I am the owner and lead consultant for www.PagoPorClicMexico.com (sorry about the link). We are one of the first PPCMX consulting firms in the Mexican market.

Too many issues to even begin with for the Mexican market. First and foremost, if one believes that any market is effecient, then we must look at why it is that click costs are lower in Mexico for Google.

First: Logically the cost of living and exchange rate.

Second: Mexicans lack access to credit cards. If you are going to do business online in Mexico you MUST (let me stress this a little more MUST) accept bank transfers.

Third:
Conversion rates stink. I have worked with many clients in the Mexican market with varrying levels of site design. Mexicans are where the US market was about 4 years ago with regards to level of comfort buying online.

I do disagree strongly with the statements from the moderator regarding the 100% need to use spanish and not do the "Ugly American". Not because I am offended by the statement (as an ex-pat "Ugly American), but because you must also think about the demographics of the Mexican internet.

The last time I checked about 16% of the population was online. This 16% is well-educated, wealthy and very likely to speak english. From my experience, many internet users within Mexico search in English not because of "ugly americans" but because the level of content online within Mexico simply isn't anywhere close to the level in English from the US, Canada, and Europe. What does all of this mean? Of course, it is a must to have spanish (well translated by a Mexican), but don't discount the english market.

I hope this helps everyone. If anyone else has questions about Mexico, feel free to shoot me an email. It is an exciting and rapidly growing market and I am enjoying the heck being a part of it.

Hasta luego!
Old 07-30-2006   #17
AussieWebmaster

Welcome to the board... I have been marketing in English, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, German, Arabic, Traditional and Simplified Chinese as well as Japanese...

I am a US citizen and Australian - the term Ugly American is more to discribe a previous practice of expecting the world to follow its customs etc. even out of their own country... this does not apply to everyone - just a style that was once very prevalent...

I agree the access to credit cards and conversion can be hard in certain countries - Mexico can be one - but that 16% has money and access to credit or debit cards which have become popular everywhere. The widespread access is slow but eventual.

I hope you become a contributing member and help detail methods for success in the Mexican market.
Old 07-31-2006   #18
Ivan Jimenez
eBrandMaker

Ivan Jimenez is on a distinguished road
Mexican Markets

Hello All,

Firstly, let me say I am glad to be participating in this post. It is actually what got me to register! I don't see too much on Spanish-language search engine marketing / advertising so it's nice to see it here.

Now onto my $0.02...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodahip
Unfortunately a sales rep is required to close the sale (real estate related)...I wish we could sell right through the website - although I don't think there are too many people out there with $1M limits on their credit cards!
As far as your campaign goes, I think an English ad catered to your Mexican market would work. Personally, if I saw an ad in a language I didn't understand, I wouldn't contact the vendor, or in this case, click on the link. On the other hand, if I knew enough to read and understand that the ad is for something I am interested in purchasing or learning about, I'd click and browse the site. If the offer was good enough and simple enough (in plain English, no scams or gimmicky verbiage), I'd forward the site to a friend or family member to translate the details for me. This happens far more frequently than many people think (and I've got the forwarded messages to prove it).

It seems that your client has a niche market that in my experience will respond to English advertising if done with them in mind. I know quite a few Mexicans that in your target audience that have made quick work out of the language issue to get something they were truly interested in getting. The key here (as with anywhere else) is bringing value to the table. I know plenty of Mexicans that own investment properties throughout the U.S. and make do with their limited English. The funniest part is that they found the people they bought from on their own. Imagine if someone would have actually reached out to them?!

Many Latin Americans are far more prepared than we give them credit for, especially the wealthy ones. Although they prefer to do business in a familiar environment with familiar people, they'd just as well do business in English with a U.S. firm if they saw value in it. Also keep in mind, many Latin Americans will do the necessary work to deal with a U.S. firm. For some reason or another, they think we are more efficient and trustworthy ...

Seriously though, they prefer doing business with us because they feel they can put their guard down, even if it's just a bit. As far as language is concerned, most of the people that would be interested in the $1M product you're offering do speak / understand enough English to understand your offer and communicate with you, even if they need to bring a translator (in the form of a U.S. educated son, daughter, nephew, neice, etc.) to help explain the specifics.

At the end of the day, nothing will answer this question like an actual test. Run a small campaign in English. Adjust the campaign so it's relevant to your Mexican market. Test conversions. See who actually clicks and how deep they get into the site. Check how many go "dead". Add a link so they can email the page to a friend. See if they use the link and who they send it to. See who eventually goes to the contact page. Work with the sales team to see how many people actually requested more information via email or telephone (you may want to purchase a temporary toll-free number in Mexico that re-directs to a specific salesperson). I'm positive you'll be pleasantly surprised if you give it a chance.

As with any campaign, you can't work blindly. Work closely with the sales team and test, test, test. I know you can make this work and when you do, you'll be that much more valuable to your client! Again, thanks for allowing me to participate in this post and for taking the time to read the post.

Best!
Ivan Jimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #19
AussieWebmaster

Welcome to the board Ivan.... keep coming back. There is a definite need for more insights from Internationally experienced marketers.
Old 07-31-2006   #20
MsCleo

MsCleo is on a distinguished road
Don't forget about the landing page

Do make sure the landing pages are also in Spanish. You won't believe the amount of advertisers I get on my Spanish affiliate network that have English landing pages. I do offer my advertisers the option of letting us design their landing page for a little extra

I agree with the previous posts where it states that your advertiser must accept bank transfers. Credit card companies is Latin America are not accessible to the middle class.
MsCleo is offline   Reply With Quote