Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2006   #1
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Yahoo! Search Update, July 14, 2006

According to Rajat Mukherjee in the latest Yahoo! Search Blog Weather Report dated July 14, 2006:

Quote:
We rolled out an index update last night. As usual, you may see some changes in ranking as well as some shuffling of the pages that are included in the index.

Remember, we recently beefed up our online help and resources, and the best way to provide us with feedback is via the online form.

Please write in and let us know what you think.
So what do we think?
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #2
Brian M

Brian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really nice
Getting better...

The results on the sites that I watch look better, but I just wish they would give us the means to delete old pages from their index.

I see many old pages that were 404'ed two years ago that are still in their index (albeit with no snippet), and I would delete them in a second if I had the chance.

Or, set a time limit on 404'ed pages - say 60 days. If a webmaster allows a page to 404 for two months - delete it from the index! If they put it back, the bots will find it and index it as a new page once again.

Anything would be better than what we have now...
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #3
dazzlindonna
Internet Entrepreneur

dazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of light
I think I love Yahoo! She was very, very good to me in this update.
dazzlindonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #4
evilgreenmonkey

evilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud of
Hi dazzlindonna,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlindonna
I think I love Yahoo! She was very, very good to me in this update.
Have you found any patterns in which pages/terms have improved?

If the update altered your site ranking, was this at the expense of spammy/blackhat sites or genuine trustworthy competitors?

Thanks,

Rob
evilgreenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #5
dazzlindonna
Internet Entrepreneur

dazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of light
Honestly, Rob, I don't know. I had over 30 sites (about 98% of my sites) drastically increase their rankings on nearly all the phrases I track, so it was almost across the board for me. In addition, I haven't been keeping track of all the competition across all those sites in Yahoo, so I'm not sure who fell by the wayside. The only thing I can say is that the increases happened across sites of various ages, some old, some new...so age likely wasn't a factor. Other than that, no idea, sorry.
dazzlindonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #6
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I just wish they would give us the means to delete old pages from their index.
That's one of the things that used to cause grief back in Inktomi days, long after pages were 301'd and the old pages down you'd still get hit for duplicate content.

This update, I get the definite impression they've turned the knobs for the amount of weight links carry. That's a good thing, IMHO - "authority" isn't always an indicator of what's relevant for what the searcher is looking for.
Old 07-16-2006   #7
TheotherTim
Official Y! Rep

TheotherTim will become famous soon enoughTheotherTim will become famous soon enough
Deleted Pages

Hi Brian
Can you please send me via forum mail some examples of the deleted pages so we can look into the issue.
Thanks, Tim
TheotherTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #8
webkidsan

webkidsan is on a distinguished road
Although my ranking dropped on Yahoo after this update ... but I am definitly seeing fewer spammy sites ... but then I am seeing lot of my old pages indexed which have not been there for more than 6 months ... another thing I noticed that I am not having my internal pages ranked ... only the home page shows up in the results ... I dont if its just my site or other people seeing that too ...
webkidsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #9
airtravelcenter

airtravelcenter is on a distinguished road
why not use url list given?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherTim
Hi Brian
Can you please send me via forum mail some examples of the deleted pages so we can look into the issue.
Thanks, Tim
Google and Yahoo both provide a means of listing url to be crawled and both ignore the lists given. Both companies could save themselves huge space by dumping pages that no longer exist. It seems a bit anal retentive to cling to ghost pages that died years ago.

Worse, if a webmaster would come to realize that a given page violates a guideline and chooses to delete that page or move it behind a robots exclusion, the correction is futile.

Why not use the xml list or urllist.txt given? Especially when that list is several hundred pages fewer than you have in your index?
airtravelcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #10
Marcia

Quote:
deleted pages so we can look into the issue
Tim, in addition to 301'd pages staying in, in some cases I believe it's happening because there's still a link someplace pointing to a page that's no longer up. One page on a site was taken down about a year ago, and it's still listed. It'll look like this, at the end of the list when doing a site: search:

http://www.example.com/cosmetics/brandname.html
www.example.com/cosmetics/brandname.html - More from this site - Save

I'm seeing it with URL only listings in the index, not cached. It also can happen with a mis-spelling in a link. The mis-spelled URL returns a 404, but there will still be a page listed because the link gets picked up.
Old 07-19-2006   #11
jackson992

jackson992 has a spectacular aura aboutjackson992 has a spectacular aura aboutjackson992 has a spectacular aura about
If a site is only showing the url for listings does this mean Yahoo banned the site?
jackson992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #12
Marcia

Quote:
If a site is only showing the url for listings does this mean Yahoo banned the site?
If I'm not mistaken, I believe a banned site will turn up with only the homepage listed in the index.

Getting banned by Yahoo isn't exactly my area of expertise, but I'll see if I can find out for sure from someone who is an expert at it.
Old 07-20-2006   #13
Wilksy
Ben Wilks

Wilksy is just really niceWilksy is just really niceWilksy is just really niceWilksy is just really niceWilksy is just really nice
That's right Marcia, homepage only.
Wilksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006   #14
jackson992

jackson992 has a spectacular aura aboutjackson992 has a spectacular aura aboutjackson992 has a spectacular aura about
so what does the partial listings mean I wonder. I've seen this on some sites for a few months now.
Old 07-21-2006   #15
missycook

missycook is on a distinguished road
Love the update!

I love the latest Yahoo update! My two sites are now top #3 for most of my keywords, a nice improvement. I use only white hat methods for optimization, and it's nice to see results finally.

I've noticed that some of my competitors who use more black hat techniques have all but disappeared from the rankings. One competitor in particular who uses all kinds or smammy methods is gone for all but one or two keywords.

As for links, not sure of their role in this latest update. I have a lot of incoming links from some very relevant sites, so perhaps, but then so do my competitors.
missycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006   #16
tonerman

tonerman has a spectacular aura abouttonerman has a spectacular aura about
Help on how to determine ranking on Yahoo

How do you determine ranking on Yahoo? Just do a regular search for a particular term and see where you wind up in the SERPS? Or is there something more sophisticated but legal?
tonerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006   #17
jackson992

still seeing messed up results:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UT...ires-to-go.com
Old 07-21-2006   #18
Marcia

jackson, I see all those URL only, non cached listings, but when clicking on some of them there isn't any page showing up.

Quote:
How do you determine ranking on Yahoo? Just do a regular search for a particular term and see where you wind up in the SERPS?
It's kind of an easy way unless there are a load of search terms, and you also get to see first hand who is ranking for the phrases. I also use the "last 300 visitors" in Cpanel to see what's coming in from where real-time, generally when I'm fixing to update pages so I'll make sure the ones getting visits are visitor-ready and current.

Quote:
Or is there something more sophisticated but legal?
I've never seen that Yahoo has a prohibition against using rank-checking software, maybe someone else has.
Old 07-25-2006   #19
Marcia

Incidentally, I have seen some movement since this update, possibly because of Site Submit is what I'd guess. I'm not happy about a dive of about 6 spots a site of mine took to the 2nd page, but I suppose others who get frequent spidering and updates did some peaking and tweaking in the interim, since it's a very seasonally hot search term.
Old 07-28-2006   #20
Asia

Asia is on a distinguished road
I've had no luck with Yahoo for 3 years now. One of my sites has been penalized and no one at Yahoo or it's partners can shed light. We hired on recommended SEO companies through Overture/yahoo and that did not help, even through multiple customer reps at Yahoo manually putting our domains into the searches, nothing has helped.

We did have 1 domain 301 to our main domain. This domain was doing "okay" although we did absolutely no SEO for the 301 in regards to linking - as I am not a fan of duplicate content. I assume the 301 was regarded as duplication and the penalty imposed, we have now dropped this 301 yet it still ranks in the top 10 for a popular keyword even though the domain has been 404'd.

I cannot tell you the amount of frustration this has caused me. It's almost a personal issue with me and Yahoo. I hope that Tim can assist me with this, and hopefully we get past this and move on.
Asia is offline   Reply With Quote