Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdSense
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2006   #1
LawDog

LawDog is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up I quit my job to work with Adsense

Not sure if I made a mistake. I have been making 50$ a day with 6 small niche websites for about 6 months. My CTR is 11%, all my sites are heavy in original content 40-50 pages or more. I have about 7 more sites almost ready to launch just need alittle more work. The average site has a 4PR but 3 have a 5PR. One of the sites brings in 70% of the ad revenue. Here are my question:

--Is $200 a day going to be 4 times the work I put into my current network of sites?
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006   #2
klingerrr

klingerrr is on a distinguished road
wow

it all boils down to your keywords and visitors.. you can have one site that pays thousands a day because of visitors and keywords.
klingerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006   #3
findinforums
in a constant search

findinforums is on a distinguished road
congrats it's an important step..

you'll still need to maintain those sites, so if you have 4 times more sites/content, you'll have more work to maintain them also.. but it should be right yeah
findinforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #4
doc816

doc816 is on a distinguished road
My experience

Internet business is all about visibility and traffic. There is virtually no limit to how much you can make with your websites. The idea is to continue improving your products/services and push your marketing to the limits. Soon you will go from $200 a day to $2,000...

I've had days where I've made over $4000 in a single day (including product sales)
doc816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #5
kevingibbons

kevingibbons is on a distinguished road
I am currently trying to improve my CTR by trying different ad formats and page postionings. Maybe you could do the same to increase the amount of clicks you are getting?

Last edited by Marcia : 06-23-2006 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Unnecessary URL removed.
kevingibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006   #6
deswire

Congrats

Congrats...could u pls give us some way to visit some of your site? im interested in looking and studying sites that applied adsense
Old 06-23-2006   #7
vayapues
10 kinds of people in the world. Those who know binary numbers, and those who don't

vayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nice
congratulations. I am debating that step now. My sites have produced enough to live very comfortably for a number of years, I have just never taken the plunge.
vayapues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006   #8
LawDog

Thanks for all the responses

what do you guys think is better. Build more sites or add more pages to most successful site?
Old 06-26-2006   #9
vayapues
10 kinds of people in the world. Those who know binary numbers, and those who don't

vayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nice
IMO both are important. You need to keep your popular sites fresh, and new, or your visitors will gradually stop returning. However, your traffic will increase faster on a new site, than on existing sites.

I generally build children's educational websites for example. My first website, which was an astronomy website built up to around 10 million impressions. It is still building, but slower than it did at first. When I launched my Math website, I once again saw rapid growth in my over-all traffic. That site now is also growing slowly. Since than I have launched a number of topical sites, and each in turn brings my traffic that much higher.

Also the more sites you build, the more topics you will come up under in the search engines, meaning that you will be found more often. ie, there are only so many terms under astronomy to be found, no matter how many articles you write. But branching out into biology offers a whole new selection of search engine topics to target.
Old 06-26-2006   #10
LawDog

Just added another site to my network last week. This site gets about 50 visitors a day. Most of the traffic comes from MSN. Out of these 50 visitors about 20 of them click on a ad and the site makes about 7 dollars a day. I have been placing an image to left of the ads and that seems to help with CTR. Most of the ads involve real estate stuff.
Old 06-26-2006   #11
vayapues

$140 CPM is great. Wish I could do that well.
Old 06-27-2006   #12
chiazna

chiazna is on a distinguished road
$140 CPM is close to impossible. for under 30 visitors per day you can
get this number, but is just a temporary annomaly. for over 100 visitors
per day, getting $50 CPM will make you rich
chiazna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006   #13
Jenstar

Jenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
$140 CPM is close to impossible.
Not at all, it depends on the market area, and even how well your site is converting for advertisers, since smart pricing can impact your CPM. But $140 CPM is not "close to impossible".

As for how much you can make, you won't neccessarily make 4x the amount if you put in 4x the effort. Bottom line earnings can be affected by smart pricing, where your referrals are coming from (some search engines deliver users that are more likely to click an ad than others), and even the market area and subset of the market area.

As for quitting your job, making sure you have a backup plan is always good. What if you get suspended from AdSense? If your sites get banned in the search engines? Having a backup plan (plus reserve money to get you through the lean times) is always a smart thing to do.
Jenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006   #14
jjspirko

jjspirko has a spectacular aura aboutjjspirko has a spectacular aura about
Agreed it is not nearly impossible. I have several channels that have produced 140-160 eCPM for YEAR TO DATE 06. My over all eCPM across all channels and all sites is 56 eCPM year to date. So one could say 50 is a better average but my average includes a ton of channels (some sites are using many channels and some pages more then one such as "page left margin" or "page top menu" for a time to do a diagnosis then they get lumped into a broader group once proven out).

So what I am saying is my 50 average includes a ton of winners and loosers. My top sites/channels are giving me CTR% that average over 20% and no that is no fish story.

Over all my advice to anyone in this game is as follows

1. Lots of orginal content and lots of diversity in content and sub niches. Limit your risk by spanning a lot of niches and several sites so if one is nuked you are not lost.

2. Use includes files to make changes and testing fast. If you don't know how to do this STOP EVERYTHING and learn it takes very little time to learn. I even bury blank includes files where I MIGHT want ads in the future.

3. Get a yahoo publisher account too, test content and see which pays better for any niche or subgroup of pages. Most times google will win but publisher made me over 2500 last month from a site google was barely showing any ads on. This also limits risk if google were to nuke you at least you could use your quick change include files above and go to yahoo.

4. Sell stuff! Do not just rely on contextual ads, sell stuff if your content won't sell for you on some level it probally won't produce for your advertisers either and in time you won't get any good advertisers anyway. If you have good content use it to sell and auguement it with contextual ads. I started selling and then added the adsense and even with good CTR my conversion is pretty level to my preadsense days so it does not have to be one or the other. Again this gives you diversity in your income. I sell everything from VoIP Service to concert tickets to tshirts. And 90% of my pages have adsense or publisher ads too.

5. Experiment a lot with layouts even proven ones when you go into new niches and sites. What works one place does not always work elsewhere so test to be sure.

6. Caluculate your eCPM and do arbritrage but not the typical scummy version. On my sales pages if my adsense buys me traffic at cost my sales are 100% profit. I don't do a lot but when I find a big time winner I run it like heck.

7. Test, test, test, track, track and track.

8. BUILD AN EMAIL LIST if you can't think of a reason for people to opt in keep thinking. Your list is more powerful in time then any SERP.

Congrats on taking the plunge,

Jack
jjspirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006   #15
LawDog

I have been gathering an email list for the last two years. I have not used it yet because I felt it would turn off my visitors. What do you do with your list and how often do you send letters out? Big day yesterday brought in $80
Old 06-27-2006   #16
vayapues

great post Jack.

I agree with your approach to having both yahoo and google. I would also throw in kanoodle. I have a program I wrote that allows me to change which I am showing at the snap of a finger, depending on which are getting the highest CPM. (includes that you mentioned) And I agree that this is truly powerful. I try to keep 90% of my impressions serving ads from the network providing the highest cpm, and 10% as a test from other ad networks.

Of course every page is different, so you have to do it on a page by page basis. With Google launching their API, which will hopefully be followed by other APIs from Yahoo etc, this will become much easier. The ability to have the system login throughout the day to each API and check page by page for which network is getting the highest CPM and than adjust itself automatically will I believe increase income opportunities greatly.
Old 06-28-2006   #17
vayapues

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawDog
I have been gathering an email list for the last two years. I have not used it yet because I felt it would turn off my visitors. What do you do with your list and how often do you send letters out? Big day yesterday brought in $80
Personally, I send out to my list of aprox 500,000 about once per week. This list is comprised of mostly school teachers, and home school parents. I send them lesson plans, articles, and jokes / games / activities they can use in the classroom.
SEW sends out emails daily, which is in large part what keeps me returning.
Old 06-28-2006   #18
LawDog

Thanks for all the info. Over the last 4 days I have been averaging over $73 a day. This is a lot of fun.
Old 06-28-2006   #19
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Quote:
$140 CPM is close to impossible
As others have stated - not at all
My best sites are doing over $300 eCPM on average for all fo 2006 - and I have at least 10 doing over 100. However, not all kinds of sites and far from every vertical can drive that kind of eCPMs

If you want to make a living out of (just) AdSense - don't!

1) Have more revenue streams than just AdSense. Affiliate and direct sales is usually a good option

2) Make sure your traffic does not just come from just one channel - for examle organic search
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #20
vayapues

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawDog
Thanks for all the info. Over the last 4 days I have been averaging over $73 a day. This is a lot of fun.
That is great, but can you really survive on $73 a day? I suppose it depends on where you live.