Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Advertising
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2006   #1
MrMackin

MrMackin is a jewel in the roughMrMackin is a jewel in the roughMrMackin is a jewel in the rough
clicksettlement.com

Google began sending settlement letters on Saturday.

READ THIS before you settle.
MrMackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #2
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough
Google Class Action Suit

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? it seems to me that about $60 million will be awarded to google advertisers involved in the class action. Is anyone going to opt out? What rights are we giving up if we decide not to opt out? $60 million seems like a pretty low number to me when you consider how much Google probably brings in. Any guesses as to how much $$ will be paid... for example, if an advertiser spends $100,000/year how much in future credits will they receive? How about for a company that spends a million? According to what I have read, it should be directly proportional, so 10X, but what does everyone think those numbers will be?

Also, did eveyone get that email from "clicksettlement"? I tried to get on to www.clicksettlement.com today for more info but the site wouldn't load.
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #3
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
1) It was said in the email that a Danish translation would be available on request. I requested it but haven't got it

2) The settlement raise more questions than answers - not the least, how this legally affect companies outside the US.

3) In the email, it becomes apparent, once again, that Google do not consider us, the agencies that pays them on our credit cards, to be the customer, but instead the clients we work for. That is very insulting to me! My clients are NOT Google's clients - when do they accept this fact?!

4) In know, for US companies it is probably the standard, but to most of us Europeans paying laweyers (that we did not even chose to hire in the first place) 33% of the settlement is just not acceptable (also, do they get paid in Google credits too? hehe)

5) It is TOTALLY unacceptable that they pay us back in credits. TOTALLY unacceptable! Pay in cash or take your scam somewhere else!

6) In any case, the settlement is way to low - approx 0.5% where it should be a minimum of 10%, in my mind. Thats at least 20 times to low!

I will opt-out and I reccomend everyone else to do so too.
The newspapers here in Denmark brought up the case yesterday with a few quotes from me (actually, JUST from me - and none from Google hehe). My mission is to get as many to opt-out of this scam. Please help the best you can

Anyway, back to work. With this "declaration of war" from Google I think its about time to launch a new batch of clickbots
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #4
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
www.clicksettlement.com - i thought it was a scam ..

Domain name not list in search engines
Links on the site going to ip addresses ( common in scams )
email came form xmr3.com ( which do mass mailings )

this looks so rushed it's a mess ..

so do Google promise me that i will not start getting spam from xmr3.com ??

DaveN
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #5
MrMackin

MrMackin is a jewel in the roughMrMackin is a jewel in the roughMrMackin is a jewel in the rough
"i thought it was a scam .."

NOPE
http://adwords.blogspot.com/2006/05/...ettlement.html
Old 05-23-2006   #6
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Quote:
so do Google promise me that i will not start getting spam from xmr3.com ??
No, Google never promise anything - except that they won't be evil. However, just HOW evil they have to be to really be evil is still an open question. Scams, such as this, apparently don't count
Old 05-23-2006   #7
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Danish info here, Mikkel:
http://209.237.234.46/pdf/gogl1faq_Danish.pdf

I love that the ClickSettlement site also has UK English as among the many languages that translations are offered in
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #8
mugshot

mugshot is on a distinguished road
I received something similar to this "settlement" case back in March against H&R Block for tax fraud...obviously I ignored it - since I didn't use H&R BLock - but somehow got the letter?

It's ironic, that a fraud is trying to call out another

I guess contacting G wouldn't help...or perhaps Matt would know something about this??
mugshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #9
Wavy Davy
Go Chelsea!

Wavy Davy is an unknown quantity at this point
No I won't

Not that my opinion will count for much....

Financially it's just not worth it. A few $$s in your ad bin....

Some of you guys make it sound like Google did it all on purpose...

Come on....

Personally were I Google I would offer to donate the $$$s to a worthy charity - that would be fine with me and worth so much to others.

David
Wavy Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #10
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
I think its a great deal....... but only if you are one of the lawyers getting $US30M in cash....
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #11
fulton savage

fulton savage is on a distinguished road
So it sounds like if my company spent $10,000 dollars on Adwords, and we assert that 30% (way optimistic) was fraudulent clicks, that's $3,000 that we report to Google. Then, Google tells us that 3000 is .000001% of what they made on advertising over the past half decade. They give us .000001% of 60M in Adwords credits, which is $60.

$60 will deliver my company 30-40 clicks, a number that is supposed to represent 4 years of click fraud. Man, someone is really getting hosed here.

edit: typo

Last edited by fulton savage : 05-23-2006 at 06:21 PM.
fulton savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #12
kevint

kevint is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi, this is my second post,

Anyway I'm a lawyer at a small firm. I also do our SEO. We spend between 100k and 200k per year at Google. That's a lot of money for us. That's a lot of money, period!

We think the settlement is a joke.

Since our firm actually does this type of litigation, we will most likely opt-out and will sue Google individually in state court.

We may also take on clients who wish to do the same.

I suspect what will happen is that Google will end up paying more total money to those who have opted out. For example, if we recover 10 percent of waht we spent, and there are another 1000 Google advertisers our size or larger, that apready puts Google's obligations at 100 million USD for the opt outs alone.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #13
missycook

missycook is on a distinguished road
How do we prove the click fraud?

I handle the SEO and SEM for the company I work for, a medium sized adventure travel company. We spend about $40,000/year on Google (since Jan 2003), more than we spend on any other marketing effort except direct mail. We get a lot of business from Adwords, although the price per conversion seems to rise each year. I'm thinking about going for our tiny chunk of the settlement, seeing as I doubt we'd ever go after Google on our own.

We have ads running across the entire Google content network, and I understand that puts us at risk for click fraud. The PPC tracking software that I use does not do a great job on helping me track click fraud, and I'm not sure our ad spend is worth investing in click fraud software. Either way, I don't have good data to use to track our click fraud over the past few years.

I'm wondering how we would qualify for the settlement without this data? I am certain we've had fraudulent clicks over the years, but how could I prove it? Do we know how they are going to handle advertisers like me?
missycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #14
kevint

kevint is on a distinguished road
Well, we've spent just under 1/2 million dollars since the Summer of 2002. Google and Overture are our two main online marketing channels.

I am not sure how the "log file" issue is going to be handled. I don't think that too many people keep their log files for too long, since it's a lot of data.

However, it's possible that Google may actually have log files on their end that could be looked at. It's also possible that amounts recovered from Google could be based on a standard percentage across the board.

But this is all speculation, I just won't know until we start getting into the case.

I sent my "opt-out" letter last week.

Even if we got what Google wants to pay us under their settlement proposal, it would only work out to about 4 days of what we are spending right now. It's just not worth it to us to, in effect, "sell" our right to sue, for such a small amount.

Kevin.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #15
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Quote:
I'm thinking about going for our tiny chunk of the settlement, seeing as I doubt we'd ever go after Google on our own.
There is also the option of waiting for a better settlement - it can't get worse than this!
Old 06-01-2006   #16
MrMackin

Read More

http://www.clickfraud-legal-center.com/links.html