Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2006   #1
B-Double-U

B-Double-U will become famous soon enough
AdWords Editor (Beta)

I just got the AdWords Editor (Beta) and was wondering if anyone else has experience with it.

Its a downloadable MSI package. This should be very helpful from what I see so far.

Anyone care to share their experiences?
  • aware of possible conflics with local and recent web changes
  • Long URL view
  • AD previews
  • Global views
  • Stats intervals

VERY COOL!

Last edited by Brad Ranks : 04-05-2006 at 07:12 PM.
B-Double-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #2
shilly
SMM

shilly is a jewel in the roughshilly is a jewel in the roughshilly is a jewel in the rough
I do not have too much experience with it, but the people I know that so use it swear by it and will never us anything else when making changes.
shilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #3
samrichards

samrichards is an unknown quantity at this point
It may not be free but ...

There's other software out there that you can use than Adwords Editor with a lot of more sophisticated features. Check out www.oparla.com for instance

Last edited by Chris_D : 04-07-2006 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Delinked
samrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #4
B-Double-U

B-Double-U will become famous soon enough
If I'm going to pay for something..........I am still in search of a complete tool that will allow integration of all campaigns.

Too bad this part of the industry just doesn't have that available. I'm sure something will come about in the future, but it's just too volatile to create something like that at this stage of the game.
B-Double-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #5
samrichards

samrichards is an unknown quantity at this point
Support for multiple systems

We'd love to support more than just Adwords but at the moment, like you mentioned, it's not particularly feasible. But perhaps soon we'll be able to - it wouldn't be much of a technical stretch if the various APIs got more in sync.
samrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #6
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
FYI, you have to be invited to get the beta software, but you'll find more about it here: AdWords Editor (BETA).
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #7
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
It is one of Google's tricks with Excel spreadsheet adapted to its bulk submission worksheet. I would love to have all those little widgets they have inhouse - have been there working with one of my reps and was impressed with some of those little helpers.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #8
keystone

I have tried Editor:

1. It is great tool for larger/bigger campaigns.
2. It is impossible to download an already existing large campaign.
3. You cant upload image ads. I am sure Google Guys are working on that.
4. To get recent changes button seems to be broken.(kidding!: it doesnt work too well).
5. Does not have any provision to view "all time" data.
6. Save lot of time to make new catagories/ad text.
7. Interface is quiet simple... goes without saying!!

Overall a great tool with lot of bugs!.

Keystone.
Old 04-12-2006   #9
Toure
The PPCBlogger

Toure has a spectacular aura aboutToure has a spectacular aura about
Wink

The 'recent changes' download problem seems to have been fixed with the new update of the Beta I download yesterday.

Still missing a lot of features if you ask me. Find and search for a url and then try and mass edit that should be a fairly simple thing to do accross all levels (adtext/ keyword). The editor tool can't even do that... forcing me to strip out the powerposted keyword urls with a mass update and then mass update all adtext urls to dynamic keyword tracking ={keyword}. There needs to be more filters to cope with different edits.

When you have about 1500 ads and 10,000 keywords in the change, it can take a while to re-upload to.
Toure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #10
drr86

I think it can be useful, bud definitely needs further development. I'm excited to see what they do with it...
Old 04-12-2006   #11
NetSpireSolutions

NetSpireSolutions is on a distinguished road
Adwords Editor

I have used the Adwords Editor and there are good things about it, it is particularly useful if you have several large Adwords Campaigns or you have a slow internet connection that makes changing your campaigns online difficult. I have found that I prefer to use the Advanced Search within adwords to make mass changes and search for poor performance based on a given rule - which I love. If you don't have any experience with Advanced Search I would try that in addition to the Editor and see which one you prefer more or how you can use them in conjunction to make your job faster.

I personally think the Editor is a bit clunky in gui and usability. What does everyone else think?

Tanya Mitchell
NetSpireSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #12
OptimizeOnline

OptimizeOnline has a spectacular aura aboutOptimizeOnline has a spectacular aura about
AdWords Editor's Biggest Problem is Synchronising Data

We have been testing the Editor for a while and, on the whole have found it to be very useful for uploading large accounts relatively quickly. However, ongoing management of accounts using the Editor have proved problematic.

1) When trying to synchronise data, the Editor hangs for the very large accounts we are testing. The only way to move forward is to delete the account within the Editor (so slow it needs to be run overnight) and then download again. Google recognise that this is a problem and have made some changes to accommodate this in the latest version of the Editor.

2) The other main deficiency we feel is that we are unable to OVERWRITE ad creatives easily within the account. We can delete existing ads and then upload the new creatives but this is far from ideal.
OptimizeOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #13
psurplus

psurplus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystone
I have tried Editor:

1. It is great tool for larger/bigger campaigns.
2. It is impossible to download an already existing large campaign.
3. You cant upload image ads. I am sure Google Guys are working on that.
4. To get recent changes button seems to be broken.(kidding!: it doesnt work too well).
5. Does not have any provision to view "all time" data.
6. Save lot of time to make new catagories/ad text.
7. Interface is quiet simple... goes without saying!!

Overall a great tool with lot of bugs!.

Keystone.
2. I was able to download my existing campaigns, one with 65,000kw's, another with 1500, and from multiple AdWords Accounts.
4. Sometimes with my version it hangs up at 'get recent changes' and I have to download whole account.

I've been using this for a couple months now to manage multiple AdWords campaigns/Accounts and for the most part overall its great. I was terribly excited at the timing I received the invite to use this, as we were creating new campaigns in the 10's of thousands of keywords. Yes there are times where I think it's going to freeze up and not work; but it will do what I ask of it and notify me if there's something wrong. A big gripe I ran into was trying to move Ad Groups from one Account to another Account. It is not possible and I had to contact Google to help me get that done via bulk posting. Also as Toure mentions, there is a search function to quickly find specific kw's. This is a great step over removing/editing kw's that exist through the online control panel, though it could be fixed a bit in Editor.
psurplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #14
iank ppc
World Media PPC

iank ppc is on a distinguished road
Adwords Editor Input

Get Recent Changes appears to be in a permanent glitch. My adwords rep has mentioned several times that their "engineers" are aware of the issue, but I still have not seen anything fixed.

It is a great tool to take control of your campaigns, especially if you work directly with an adwords rep, who is not available at all times, or when the optimization turnaround is 1-2 weeks. This helps eliminate turnaround times and make changes instantly.

I wish their was an excel integration function in order to make bulk upload changes.

Good luck!
iank ppc is offline   Reply With Quote