Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Ask.com
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2006   #1
danielanaidu

danielanaidu is on a distinguished road
Ask and PPC advertising

Anybody want to share their experience with Ask's PPC advertising? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
danielanaidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #2
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough
I set up an account there and none of my listings were displaying for ask.com searches. All of our traffic from these lisitngs were coming from partner sites that did not convert at all. I emailed them about this twice and got no response. Had to take my account offline even though I would like to be listed there.
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #3
nliu

nliu is on a distinguished road
I started an account and it's working out okay, though conversions are not as consistent as I would like.

It works like Google where the keywords need to achieve a certain CTR before it's served on Ask.com. I have some ads on their partner networks and some of them are converting fine.

nliu
nliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #4
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
I asked.. but got no answer

First I completed the registration for companies who wanted to have budgets over 5k a month. No call back, no response.

A few days later I went back and looked everywhere for a number to call a sales rep directly.. couldn’t seem to find one.

So sent in the above 5k registration form again.
No call back no response

Curious about their interface I tried to set up an account for the 5k and under budget

I was limited to submitting 100 keywords at a time
It kept rejecting our ad because we used words such as

Successful
Successfully
Affordable

I forget the exact response it gave but it basically said we cant make these types of claims.

So after writing up a dummied down generic ad, it finally processed, then promptly ended my user session and kicked me out. Everything I had entered was gone.

I would call and ask for help but... see point 2

I just want to ask Jeeves one question

Did you work for Overture?
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #5
GaryTheScubaDiver

GaryTheScubaDiver is on a distinguished road
Yea I'd like to try them out but they require a phone contact to verify CC information. I call, leave messages, send emails, no response. I think Matt Cutts caught them doing what they normally do, standing up a cardboard AskJeeves cutout and putting a phone next to him. (Can't they get it to answer?)

Too bad, I spend an ungodly amount on practically every other ppc engine. Of course seeing these posts I guess I got lucky.

Gary Beal
GaryTheScubaDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #6
GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago will become famous soon enoughGuyFromChicago will become famous soon enough
Worst "major" PPC program I've ever used.

What Discovery posted above is pretty much word for word what happened to me.
GuyFromChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #7
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
They are within reasonable costs but not outstanding... though have to optimize the ads and the landing pages. Think there may be a need to clear some of the partner publishers but traffic seems decent.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #8
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Any tools for excluding domains?

We are STILL waiting for anyone at ask to call us so we can advertise.

In the mean time I wanted to know from current users of ask if ask.com has any tools to exclude domains from running their ads?

Have you seen an increase in out of country clicks from the ask.com network?

What about click fraud, or junk clicks in general.

It seems to me that junk clicks or click fraud are the tops issues of today, yet none of the top engines are admitting it or addressing it publically. Now that ask has decided to jump back into the ring with upgrades to their system, kicking the butler to the curb and running nationwide tv commercials do you think they have addressed the click fraud issue at all?

Or are they like the others "hell thats were we get all of our profits".

Discovery

Last edited by AussieWebmaster : 03-31-2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2006   #9
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
We are STILL waiting for anyone at ask to call us so we can advertise.

In the mean time I wanted to know from current users of ask if ask.com has any tools to exclude domains from running their ads?

Have you seen an increase in out of country clicks from the ask.com network?

What about click fraud, or junk clicks in general.

It seems to me that junk clicks or click fraud are the tops issues of today, yet none of the top engines are admitting it or addressing it publically. Now that ask has decided to jump back into the ring with upgrades to their system, kicking the butler to the curb and running nationwide tv commercials do you think they have addressed the click fraud issue at all?

Or are they like the others "hell thats were we get all of our profits".

Discovery

They have a purification process... and there is this http://sponsoredlistings.ask.com/trafficquality.php

I will see what else I can get in the way of info about this.

And sorry I hit wrong button hence the edit....
Old 03-31-2006   #10
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Discovery, did you call the number I PM'd you the other day?

We have been running for about a month in Asks's program. We haven't seen a ton of invalid clicks, other than on a few keywords that were questionable to begin with. Meaning, the KW's were pretty generic, but work well in Google and Overture so we decided to try them on Ask. Once we deleted those, everything else seems ok. They also report on "total clicks" and "billable clicks." Early on, there was a big discrepancy between the 2 numbers in our reports; lately, they've been pretty close to identical.

You can't exclude specific domains, unfortunately, There are one or two partner sites that really suck for us, but they're not significant enough to bring down the whole program.

Conversion is lower than on the big boys, but CPC is lower, too. Their interface is kind of clunky and hard to use, although once you get the hang of their uploads and downloads, it's not too bad. I had to have a rep help me with this since it wasn't intuitive.

All in all, for the money, Ask is ok. We are using Ask to fill in our Google gaps - keywords that are too expensive on Google or that aren't running there for other reasons. It's filling that bill nicely so far.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #11
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel66
Discovery, did you call the number I PM'd you the other day?

We have been running for about a month in Asks's program. We haven't seen a ton of invalid clicks, other than on a few keywords that were questionable to begin with. Meaning, the KW's were pretty generic, but work well in Google and Overture so we decided to try them on Ask. Once we deleted those, everything else seems ok. They also report on "total clicks" and "billable clicks." Early on, there was a big discrepancy between the 2 numbers in our reports; lately, they've been pretty close to identical.

You can't exclude specific domains, unfortunately, There are one or two partner sites that really suck for us, but they're not significant enough to bring down the whole program.

Conversion is lower than on the big boys, but CPC is lower, too. Their interface is kind of clunky and hard to use, although once you get the hang of their uploads and downloads, it's not too bad. I had to have a rep help me with this since it wasn't intuitive.

All in all, for the money, Ask is ok. We are using Ask to fill in our Google gaps - keywords that are too expensive on Google or that aren't running there for other reasons. It's filling that bill nicely so far.

Melissa
Well put Melissa... I do not do the day-to-day with Ask so did not have the info at hand... I did see the same numbers as far as CPA and CPC etc.
I have noticed in a lot of our space they have 2 Ask advertisers and then start with Google AdWords
Old 03-31-2006   #12
Mel66

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Yep, the Ask ads appear before the Adwords. Not a bad deal.
Old 03-31-2006   #13
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Yep, the Ask ads appear before the Adwords. Not a bad deal.
But they raise their minimum bids to a cent more than what their percentage of a AdWords click brings them.... and they do not dedupe like MSN does with Yahoo ads.....
Old 03-31-2006   #14
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Starting up ask..

Hey Mel,

I called and left a message for your ask contact today, but have not heard back as of yet.

I'm very glad to hear a few of you have had decent results on ask. We're not asking for another Google, but at least something with decent quality to supplement Google with a few hundered more clicks a day.

What we don't want is another Miva, Looksmart, or Blowsearch. All of which I have tested time and again of the past few years and each time found

COMPLETE JUNK/FRAUD clicks.

Thanks again for your info and I will certainly post my results when they start coming in.

Discovery
Old 03-31-2006   #15
AussieWebmaster

Ask also has been good about Click Fraud refunds
Old 04-03-2006   #16
Mel66

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
But they raise their minimum bids to a cent more than what their percentage of a AdWords click brings them.... .
This is true. However, we've found it to still be a fraction of what we pay on Google. There are a few exceptions with an inexplicably high minimum CPC, but overall the CPCs are less than Adwords, making Ask a good supplement.

Melissa
Old 04-03-2006   #17
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
This is true. However, we've found it to still be a fraction of what we pay on Google. There are a few exceptions with an inexplicably high minimum CPC, but overall the CPCs are less than Adwords, making Ask a good supplement.

Melissa
Head to head we need to break out by visitors at Ask - those clicking their ad or the Google ad.... obviously Ask is a little cheaper if there is not too many other bidding.... but the question is do they convert... are the Ask searchers the demographic that converts for us or you etc.
Old 04-03-2006   #18
Mel66

We've got tracking URLs set up to do just that, both via our in-house tracking and Atlas Search. On the whole Ask is converting at about half the % we get from Adwords, but the ROI is acceptable given the lower CPCs.

I agree, you definitely need to track this separately or you could blow through a lot of $$$ in a hurry. There were a couple keywords in our account that could easily have drained our account with no return if I hadn't been tracking very, very closely.

Melissa
Old 04-05-2006   #19
hassleback
Parcells Fan

hassleback is on a distinguished road
In my experience in advertising through the Ask program, the ads didn't even appear on Ask.com. Instead, they appeared on no-name affiliates while searches for my keywords on Ask.com brought up Google ads. Maybe they have since changed this, but that was the major reason I stopped using the Ask advertising program.
hassleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #20
AussieWebmaster

Maybe they ran the Google ads until the bids for their own reached more than what Google was paying.... there are a lot of people using that as a measurement for pricing ... even AdSense conversions etc.