Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Web Analytics & Tracking
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2004   #1
callback
callbackguy

callback is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Overture bidding caps -- I wish they could remove it.

Hi friends,

I intend to try Overture for a potential client of mine but I am hampered by Overture's cap of $100 for maximum bid. One of the keywords I have to bid has already been $100 and I can't bid higher to top my position because the cap. Have you guys ever been stopped by this cap doing your advertising? Do you agree Overture should remove this cap? Certainly it means more revenue for them and I just don't understand why Google never sets this type of restriction.

I'd like to collect your opinion of this issue and maybe I can find a way to get Overture to hear us.

Thanks,
callback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004   #2
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
I can't even fathom the fraud associated with $100 clicks and yet people want to spend more!!! wow
Old 08-12-2004   #3
YahooSarah
Official Representative (formerly OvertureRep)

YahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of light
Overture response re: bid cap

Callback Guy,

Glad to hear you're thinking of us for your client. I'll make sure to pass your comments on to our product team so they can follow this thread and see any responses that post.

We always love to get feedback from our advertisers so we can keep it mind when we change existing/create new products. Thanks for your thoughts.

- OvertureRep
YahooSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004   #4
pulsetoday
Too Sexy for this site!

pulsetoday is on a distinguished road
Ya! I had heard this thing at another forums too. Well , If someone wants to bid that high let them... Why should anyone have any trouble with that.

Though on moral grounds I would try and explain them about alternative strategies they can use.

But if still they want to test it , then why not ?
pulsetoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004   #5
hiero
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? --Vince Lombardi

hiero is on a distinguished road
Wow, who knew.....

I swallowed my tongue (instead of the cofee I was drinking) when I saw this post. What type of words, phrases garnish a $100+ rate?
hiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004   #6
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
heiro,

We're having a similar discussion about highest KW prices at Google Adwords - but generally speaking those out of whack keywords are terms that personal injury lawyers get high settlements from class action suits, abestos complications, mesothelioma, etc -
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004   #7
tonywright

tonywright is on a distinguished road
Unhappy I think you are all missing the point

I think you are all missing the point.

There are several places where a $100 bid would be appropriate - especially in a competitive market place, with a limited number of searchers where the profit margins could be large.

I think the point is - why is Overture (and Google for that matter) limiting what we as advertisers pay per click. Shouldn't this work alongside the law of supply and demand? If you are an idiot and want to spend your money unwisely, shouldn't some of Darwinian play come to fruition? After all, it's survival of the fittest, and if you don't convert, you will run out of money quickly. I just don't see ANY reason for bid caps. The only person they benefit is the bidder who is grandfathered in. If anyone else has a valid reason for bid caps, I'd like to hear it.

Full disclosure here - I know Callback and his situation, and in that situation it makes sense to bid more than $100 per click. You don't need to know the industry (but it wouldn't be that hard to figure out), but you do need to know that there already 5 people bidding max in this space - and making money off of it. The problem is, by bidding the max, the best position he can get is 5. That's not even good enough for syndication.
tonywright is offline   Reply With Quote