Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2006   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
What Do You Love About Google

I've just posted my 25 Things I Love About Google article, a companion to my 25 Things I Hate About Google story. Things you love about Google? Please add them below. Things you hate? Got a separate thread for that: What Do You Hate About Google?.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #2
GoogleGuy
Unofficial Representative

GoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of light
I love that Google arouses enough feeling that people tell us what they like and don't like.

Personally, I'm printing these out and hanging them up in my office. Heck, I may print out a few extra copies and hand them out to people when they drop by.
GoogleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #3
BradBristol
Has-Been "SEO Expert"

BradBristol will become famous soon enoughBradBristol will become famous soon enough
Wink #1 thing I love about google

is that they care enough about me to put a 30 year cookie on my computer and they go to extremes to try to track my (and everyone else's) movements and actions across the WWW. It’s nice to know that google cares that much about all of us.

I love the fact that google has ignored copyright so that they (google) could server up content to users. I mean if google did not ignore copyright how could google exist in the first place... and what would we ever do without google...

I love the fact that google refuses to give information to the US government, those bullies at the U.S. Justice Dept. should just quit trying to use google to catch bad guys.

I love the fact that google went along with the Chinese Government and is helping to censor information the Chinese people receive over the WWW. We need to keep those Chinese people uneducated and in the dark... I don’t want to have to compete with them.

I love the fact that google can, at the seeming drop of a hat, change the fortune of thousands and thousands of small webmasters across the web by just the figurative turn of a dial. (I really do love this, the idea of all that Raw Power flailed around without regard for anyone or anything makes me feel all fuzzy and warm inside.)

I love the fact that google has fought search SPAM as hard as they have. Without google’s diligence in fighting SPAM there are many here (and other SEO boards) that would have had nothing to talk about for the last several years. There are even a few ridiculous radicals out their that have made their fortunes off of taking a public stand on google’s battle with SPAM.

How could you not love google...

Last edited by BradBristol : 03-14-2006 at 12:04 AM.
BradBristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #4
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road
Google is still the best web search out there. It can have its problems but it is miles better than Yahoo! & MSN.

I like using Froogle and Google News. I especially like the fact that stores have not paid to be in Froogle, giving more stores the opportunity to be featured there.

Google maps and satellite pictures are really good too.
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #5
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
I really can't add much to either of Danny's lists. Love search, Gmail, Froogle, Desktop.... I do want them to keep giving stuff away, though.

A couple Adwords "Hates": (1) Trademark restrictions in ad copy. (2) The expanded broad match debacle. (3) Adsense on blogs. The first 2 have been covered in this forum adequately, so I won't elaborate. The Adsense blog thing has been our largest source of questionable content clicks lately. I think a few bloggers have discovered that they can have their buddies click on the Adsense ads and make a quick buck at our expense. Yeah, we can dump them with Site Exclusion (although there are limits to the number of sites we can exclude); yeah, we can shut them down by turning off content and/or lowering our CPC - but that has killed an otherwise successful content campaign for us in some cases; and yeah, Google has been good about refunding our money when we've complained (even before the $90M settlement). However, when you've got 30-odd campaigns, hundreds of ad groups, and thousands of keywords, it's a time-consuming process to even find such "questionable" activity.

All in all, and I've said this before, Google is doing great things in the search and internet community, and I applaud them! Keep up the good work!

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #6
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
#1 Thing to love about Google

And it has a positive affect on all that Google offers to searchers and advertisers a like.

GOOGLE has not lost their focus, first and foremost,
THEY ARE A SEARCH ENGINE
pure and simple.

Unlike Yahoo, MSN and many, many others, they have not loaded their home page up with Hollywood news, tabloid junk, music downloads, stock tickers, pop up ads and thrown in a little search bar somewhere in the middle of all of that.

GOOGLE'S clean and unobstructed search page creates a true search centric experience and a damn accurate one at that. I'm here to search, I'm here to find, I'm here to buy.

The result? Searchers find what they are looking for without distraction, and advertisers get visitors who are actively seeking their service not passively stumbling over an ad.

To me as a searcher this means a time savings as an advertiser this means quality over quantity.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #7
Carlos Chacón

Carlos Chacón is on a distinguished road
The only think I love about Google is: capability (capacity) to index pages.
That’s it!
Carlos Chacón is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #8
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
The thing I love about Google is the logo and the dinners they take me to.... oh and the fact that they have the largest traffic so I have something to really work with for conversion.

Last edited by AussieWebmaster : 03-14-2006 at 06:05 PM.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #9
Marek
SEO Strategist, megabluewave.com

Marek is on a distinguished road
Google Love....

1. Clean UI.

2. Acuracy

3. Huge index if websites

4. Many of the new features - Google Labs

5. Google Reader for RSS

6. Gmail

7. And many more....
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #10
MikeDammann
SearchFeature.com

MikeDammann is on a distinguished road
I love Google's overall approach on business. The idealism that is still visible after all that success those 2 guys have managed to have. Google does provide more than search, it's a mindset that people respond well to. An openminded approach on search. Yes, there are some messes in there, but all in all Google inspires me. It's good to see people with a vision come to success and then be able to sustain what they have accomplished. Google rocks!
MikeDammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #11
Relevancy
Relevancy Brings Results

Relevancy is on a distinguished road
Love to Love to Love ya

I love their ambition of taking down Microsoft.

I don’t like that they clam to not do Media advertising, but what's this?!? You will see convenient "Google this" or "Google Me" blurbs in the scripts of major movies all the time. Plus they will never do TV ads, but they will get other companies to attach a Google Ad on their own TV ad.
Relevancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #12
MikeDammann
SearchFeature.com

MikeDammann is on a distinguished road
There is just so much positive energy and idealism coming from Google. But I don't think that Larry and Sergey are active bloggers
MikeDammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #13
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
I like that Google is relatively easy to manipulate so I can make money!
grnidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #14
Olney
InternationalSEM.com: International SEM Blog

Olney is on a distinguished road
Google has really shown themselves to expand in the international markets well. Unlike so called international companies who say they are in the Japanese, or Asian market they really are only on the surface.

Yahoo US & Yahoo Japan almost operate as two seperate companies. MSN is the only search Engine that still is not IDN (International Domain Name) compatible just like their browser wasn't.

Google does well to launch services that are multilingual.

It's 2006 & Paypal still doesn't even have a Japanese interface. The service for Paypal is Japan compatible but NOT in Japanese. Does it make sense to you guys? Doesn't make sense to me either. Most people I know don't want to use it or never heard of it because it's not in Japanese, & these are people in web related careers.

If Google's wallet services launches in Japan it will go well.
Olney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #15
mc4210

mc4210 is on a distinguished road
Is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnidone
I like that Google is relatively easy to manipulate so I can make money!
Is it? Even with all these filters in place? I don't suppose you could elaborate on that...? (or even PM me about it.... )

Aaah, wouldn't it be nice if you could just reverse engineer the SEs like any piece of software in the good old days and find out exactly what's going on?
mc4210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006   #16
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Yahoo US & Yahoo Japan almost operate as two seperate companies.
That is because they are two separate companies.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #17
Olney
InternationalSEM.com: International SEM Blog

Olney is on a distinguished road
They are two companies but the same brand but services & especially technology is completely different.
This was my point.
Google is good at adding multilingual services.
Yahoo is actually still king of Japan though.
Olney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #18
econwriter5

econwriter5 is on a distinguished road
Have to give props to a company that has done it all its own way. Threw the book at Wall Street, in the process of doing so at DOJ while bringing information to the masses...for free.

Proof that they were never in it for the money, and the awesome people who work there (especially Urchin software support!) believe, heart-and-soul, in the mission of Google.

Props to a company that maintains, encourages and fuels the passion of its employess and the public, changing the way information is digested and exchanged, for good or bad - it generates dialogue few would otherwise attempt.
econwriter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #19
gordman

gordman is on a distinguished road
Re: What Do You Love About Google

There is not reason to get emotional here but I guess Google makes me feel familiar, is handy and I know it as a companion. It's the first search engine I had contact with and it rarely disappoints me. I am not a heavy user, I guess this is it.

Last edited by AussieWebmaster : 09-10-2007 at 10:15 AM. Reason: sig not allowed
gordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #20
sabinuta

sabinuta is on a distinguished road
Re: What Do You Love About Google

I think people who are banned from their Adsense program or have their domains banned are the most upset with Google don't you agree ?

Last edited by evilgreenmonkey : 09-18-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Removed Spam
sabinuta is offline   Reply With Quote