Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Marketing
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2006   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
FTD's Head Of Marketing Replaced Over Failure In Maximizing Search

Jaw dropping time. Gary posted this summary of how FTD has replaced (fired?) its head of marketing for failing to do more with search. Wow. I guess that will get search marketing some respect in the mix, if you're likely to lose your job over not doing enough with it! From the DMNews article :

Quote:
The consumer business's order growth for the 2005 Christmas season was below expectations [because of] our decision not to pursue high-cost order volume associated with online search," FTD president/CEO Michael J. Soenen said in a statement. "In anticipation of continued competitiveness in the online search environment and to better manage the consumer segment business going forward, we have made management changes within this segment including the replacement of our head of marketing."
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #2
rcjordan
There are a lot of truths out there. Just choose one that suits you. -Wes Allison

rcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to all
damn, i like soenen's management style.
rcjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #3
B-Double-U

B-Double-U will become famous soon enough
I wonder if this was a case of not being able to teach an old dog new tricks or simply that a decision was made to NOT pursue the paid channels in order to keep the marketing costs lower.

I would like to see a rebuttal from the previous head of marketing.
B-Double-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #4
shorebreak

shorebreak will become famous soon enough
Flower search is hard

I've talked to a good number of online flower sellers, and they almost all have the same issue - there are just not that many different ways people search for flowers. That being the case it all comes down to conversion rates, and having worked in the flower industry I can tell you that FTD is not a brand people generally associate with quality. Quality flower arrangements come from local florists people trust, and THAT's who FTD should be promoting in their search activities, NOT themselves.

-Shorebreak
shorebreak is offline   Reply With Quote