Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2004   #1
orion

orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Who bombs Whom?

Who bombs Whom?

Today I did a search in the default search engine query mode for

"bad search engine" (without quotes).

I got these results:

1. In Google, Yahoo.com is #2 out of 4,650,000 results
2. In Yahoo!, MSN.com is #1 out of 6,330,000 results
3. In MSN, MSN.com is #1 out of 1,323,674 results.
4. In Teoma, GO.com is #2 and Search.com is #3 out of 3,178,000 results.

Results may change over time.

I stop trying other SEs. It appears this is a free-for-all. Who is bombing Whom? For these particular bombs, which type of techniques are being used and why? Appending false relevancy through keywords in links? Blog networks? Secondary links? Silly games between search engines? Fancy optimization?

Let's have some fun and drop your thoughts.

Orion

Last edited by orion : 08-07-2004 at 03:12 PM.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004   #2
orion

orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

I should have called this thread "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Queries". But since I started with "The Bad", I better present "The Good" and "The Ugly" queries (same query conditions as in post #1).

"The Good" Query

A search for "good search engine" without quotes shows that
1. In Google, DogPile.com (a metaengine) is #1 out of 8,520,000 results.
2. In Yahoo!, DogPile.com (a metaengine) is #1 out of 15,000,000 results
3. In MSN, DogPile.com (a metaengine) is #1 out of 3,112,205 results.
4. In Teoma, Yahoo.com is #1 and Teoma is #3 out of 9,448,000 results.

"The Ugly" Query

A search for "ugly search engine" without quotes shows that
1. In Google, no major search engine is positioned in the top 10 results. We found in position #4 and #9 two documents about the "Ugly Game Search Engine". Why this is important? Keep reading.
2. In Yahoo!, no major search engine is positioned in the top 10 results. We found in Yahoo that 17 of the top 20 results include in title "Ugly Game Search Engine". Total results: 878,000
3. In MSN, .Dewa is #2 and Highway61 is #4 out of 157516 results. At testing time, the search services of these two properties were not accessible.
4. In Teoma, no major search engine is positioned in the top 10 results. The "Ugly Game Search Engine" is on with 26 out of the top 30 results containing this phrase in title or as the title.

To sum up,

1. "The Good" Query shows DogPile.com site well cross-optimized for the "good search engine" phrase. Irronically DogPile is not a search engine but a metasearch engine. I should shout (semantically): Good Dog! = Good Boy! = Good Search Engine!
Here the odd result is Teoma, which is #3 in Teoma but does not show in the top 20 in Yahoo, Google and MSN. Where we draw the line between semantic targeting and self-promotion?

2. In "The Ugly" we can observe a gaming issue going on: "The Ugly Game Search Engine title is all over the place. We did a quick research. According to http://www.qstat.org/qderived.html and quote.
"UgLy Game Search Engine quickly searches the local network for game servers or checks your list of favorite servers. HTML status pages are generated for each server and a summary page lists all servers with graphs of usage patterns. It will also generate a QStat-style server list for use with other programs such as ServerQuery. This is a small Perl script you can run in the background of a Linux or Unix system."

This post from July 30 at
http://www.mail-archive.com/hlds_lin.../msg28698.html
indicates that the "uglys.uglypunk.com" is always down or inaccessible.

3. In "The Bad" (post #1), what's going on? Bombing, optimization or bias?

Any suggestion?

Orion

Last edited by orion : 08-08-2004 at 04:18 PM.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote