Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > Search Industry Growth & Trends
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2006   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Danny's Appearance on Nightline

If you did not know, Danny had an appearance on Nightline Friday night. Gary has the transcript and his comments at http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/060121-031514

How awesome is this for the industry? I mean, if you read the transcript, Danny got some major time on Nightline.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #2
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
That's too cool! Way to go, Danny.
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #3
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
OK...Danny, why didn't you blow your horn about this? This is like...front page news...at least for search engine watch. Why did you not make a big deal about this?

<edits after she sees picture of Danny>
Oh my god. And you wore that crappy shirt for Nightline? You're GRAY! May I suggest you keep a good shirt at the office for things like this that might come up? A blue shirt would bring out your eyes and not wash you out.

(Please know I say this because I care...)

Last edited by grnidone : 01-23-2006 at 07:46 PM.
grnidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #4
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnidone
OK...Danny, why didn't you blow your horn about this? This is like...front page news...at least for search engine watch. Why did you not make a big deal about this?
Because that's not his style

But he did blog about it as a heads up before it aired, so the news was out there.

My favorite quote from the reporter in the video, it's even funnier to those of us in the biz:

We turned to Danny Sullivan, of searchenginewatch.com, one of the world authorities on search engines. yes there are world authorities on search engines. it's a multibillion dollar business and quite baffling to most of us and even to some experts.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #5
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnidone
<edits after she sees picture of Danny>
Oh my god. And you wore that crappy shirt for Nightline? May I suggest you keep a good shirt at the office for things like this that might come up? A blue shirt would bring out your eyes and not wash you out.
LOL, that's even funnier... since that's his home office - he could have picked something out of his closet at anytime. the ABC folks should have picked up on how it would have looked too though and mentioned it.

but heck, considering how most of us look when we work at home, he did well.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #6
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
Quote:
but heck, considering how most of us look when we work at home, he did well.
OK..I guess this is a step up from a bathrobe...but still..it's Nightline

<edit later after thinking about it>

I came off as mean..but I cannot believe a cameraperson for Nightline didn't look at this and see a recipe that wouild make anyone look bad.

You have a heavily backlit area, with the subject wearing a shirt that doesn't contrast well with it. In fact, the shirt matches the wall behind him. The subject's face is poorly lit which makes his face look flat. In addition, the camera is slightly beneath Danny looking up his nostrils. Not to mention the top of the monitor is going through his head.

Anyone who has taken a photography 101 class -- and certainly a cameraperson for Nightline -- should have looked at the situation seen all of those things and taken measures to remedy it...such as suggest to Danny to wear another shirt or put on a jacket.

Last edited by grnidone : 01-23-2006 at 09:02 PM.
grnidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #7
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Quote:
And you wore that crappy shirt for Nightline? You're GRAY! May I suggest you keep a good shirt at the office for things like this that might come up? A blue shirt would bring out your eyes and not wash you out.
Hey, that was a very nice shirt my wife told me to wear. I am her Ken doll -- she tells me to wear it, I wear it

It's actually a blue shirt. In retrospect, a blue shirt against my blue walls, not a smart choice. But this was done very quickly. I am literally out in the middle of nowhere. I was amazed ABC found someone to come out and shoot for them with only a few hours notice. There was also no two way -- they couldn't see what as being filmed, so maybe they'd have asked for changes afterward.

I wouldn't have gone for a jacket, sorry. Yeah, I know it's TV -- but I never, ever work in a jacket. Heck, I never work in a button down shirt!

Quote:
Yeah, as Elisabeth said, I did get a post up on the blog once I knew it was actually happening. I debated whether to do that at all, but I figured people who read might be curious. I'd have let people know sooner, but like I said, it all happened within literally hours.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #8
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
too funny...I wonder what percentage of SEM's that are men even thought about let alone cared what he was wearing. haha so glad to see we are a "normal" industry. I will have to make sure to be careful if I ever go on national TV.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #9
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Didja have to clean up your house and office really fast? I would have been scrambling!
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #10
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
I'd have cleaned the papers off my desk, if I realized it was going to be in the shot. Other than that, what was behind me was pretty tidy, and you couldn't see all the junk on my equipment table that's piling up. We're about to move, so I've sort of given up trying to organize.

I had cleaned a little of the other part of the office, because the BBC did a web cam interview with me earlier in the day. But that never made it to air because of trouble we had getting the video finally across.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote