Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2006   #1
atebark

atebark is on a distinguished road
Google Refinement Keywords

It seems Google is dabbling in broad keyword refinement with such terms as:Reviews, Blogs, News, Stores, Shopping Comparisons, Home Improvement etc. The search terms I used (w/out quotes)were
'SEW More:' (colon not needed) and 'SEW'

I had posted this today in the BETA section (thought it more appropriate here). The only mention I have found of it is at Web 2.0 Central . I was only able to recreate it on my IE browser at home, not at work, and was unable to recreate it on Firefox 1.5.
Sorry if this has been posted in SEW before but I found no mention of it.
atebark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #2
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
When you click on the links, what comes up next?
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #3
atebark

atebark is on a distinguished road
OK, to make it easier/more practical, I searched for 'Cookies '. The "quick result" keywords were: Blogs / Troubleshooting / News / Stores / Documentation / Recipes

I also searched for cookie (singular) and it brought the above "quick words" as well as reviews and Forums .

Notice on the initial result page that the ALL RECIPES result has a [ Show more recipes ] below its summary (again, not shown when done in Firefox 1.5). Clicking on the bracketed words results in the same as clicking on the RECIPES "quick result" word.

These refinement words do not seem to be as extensive as the Google Base refinement words...yet?
atebark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #4
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
atebark - Absolutely fascinating. Looks like an interface test to me, and a significant one if it sticks.

Makes me think immediately of "invisible tabs," something that Danny has long been predicting. Last big discussion of it was at SES San Jose in Aug 2005, which I happened to write up here...

Vertical Creep Into Regular Search Results
http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...?threadid=7326

The San Jose discussion, though, had the invisible tabs breaking only into "vertical" search categories... News, Local, Images, Shopping, etc. The results you're showing also seem to cover query ambiguities.

Thinking they might be tied into search queries that might have multiple meanings, I tried your "cookies" search again, as well as terms like "china," "windows," etc. The feature didn't appear to be active when I searched these, with or without more:

But, searching cookies more:troubleshooting did give me the same results your screen capture shows. Interesting that this search doesn't entirely eliminate the food cookie results, though it does seem to give computer cookies a slight nudge up. Very different serps, though, from cookies troubleshooting without the "more:" operator.

Ditto with cookies more:recipes and cookies recipes.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote