Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2006   #1
onedodd
Onedodd
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 99
onedodd is on a distinguished road
Class C Block of IPs??

Can somebody explain this:
Don't cross-link from any domains that you own or any domains that share the same Class C Block of IPs.
OK I know what cross-linking is but....
I have 5 sites and want to mainly just learn the part about linking sites from the same class C IPs. How do I know if they share the same Class "C" IP?

Can different hosts share the same Class C IP? No laughing - I have to learn sometime.

How do I find out if my sites share the same Class C IP?

Thank You - Joe D.
onedodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #2
Mikkel deMib Svendsen
 
Mikkel deMib Svendsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,576
Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
An IP consist of 4 parts AAA.BBB.CCC.xxx - the first part is called A-class, the second part B-class and the third part C-class. So any IP under the last part will be in the same C-class. So for example:

123.123.123.1 and 123.123.123.2 are in the same C-class but
123.123.123.1 and 123.123.124.1 is in two different C-classes

Many smaller hosts only mange one single or very few C-classes and therefore makes it difficult to get multiple IPs in different C-classes if you host all your sites the same place. Larger hosts have many C-classes (I believe some even have almost full B-classes but unless you specifically request your various sites to be on different C-class IPs you still could end up on the same. It's usually not something hosts care about (in relation to SEO and linking)
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #3
onedodd
Onedodd
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 99
onedodd is on a distinguished road
I understand now - I learned something and you explained it well.

It's obvious you know what you are talking about.

Based on what you laid out I checked my sites and everything seems to be OK in that respect.

Thank You Mikkel, Joe
onedodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #4
maildeepak
www.cdkhosts.com
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 30
maildeepak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel deMib Svendsen
An IP consist of 4 parts AAA.BBB.CCC.xxx - the first part is called A-class, the second part B-class and the third part C-class. So any IP under the last part will be in the same C-class. So for example:

123.123.123.1 and 123.123.123.2 are in the same C-class but
123.123.123.1 and 123.123.124.1 is in two different C-classes

Many smaller hosts only mange one single or very few C-classes and therefore makes it difficult to get multiple IPs in different C-classes if you host all your sites the same place. Larger hosts have many C-classes (I believe some even have almost full B-classes but unless you specifically request your various sites to be on different C-class IPs you still could end up on the same. It's usually not something hosts care about (in relation to SEO and linking)
hai Mikkel..

i am not an authority in this subject..but i am sure that what u have said may not be 100% correct...just made a search in google..and found an article on ip addresses...

http://www.accordmarketing.com/tid/a...-overview.html

just a gist from the article..



Quote:
IP address are classified into 3 class's (groups) depending on the decimal equivalent of the 1st octet in the address as below:

0-255.xxx.xxx.xxx = all address's

Class A

Intended for a small number of networks that had a large number of computers (hosts) attached. Class A IP Address have a value in the range 1...126 as the first octet. The values 0 and 127 are not available because they have special uses. Class A addresses use the first octet to identify the network which means that 126 addresses are usable, each of which can support 16,777,216 computers (hosts).

Class B

Intended for some networks that had an intermediate number of computers (hosts) attached. Class B IP Addresses have a value in the range 128...191 as the first octet. Class B addresses use the first two octets to identify the network which means that 16,320 addresses are usable, each of which can support 65,536 computers (hosts).

Class C

Intended for a large number of networks that would have a small (relatively) number of computers (hosts) attached. Class C IP Addresses have a value in the range 192...223 as the first octet. Class C addresses use the first three octets to identify the network which means that 2,080,800 addresses (networks) are possible, each of which can support 254 computers (hosts).

so i guess ur saying that an ip address has all three classes in it is not correct...

another article on ip's.

http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/topo/unit3.htm

regards,
deepak.c

Last edited by maildeepak : 01-06-2006 at 12:34 AM. Reason: found a new article on ip's.
maildeepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #5
maildeepak
www.cdkhosts.com
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 30
maildeepak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by onedodd
Can somebody explain this:
Don't cross-link from any domains that you own or any domains that share the same Class C Block of IPs.
OK I know what cross-linking is but....
I have 5 sites and want to mainly just learn the part about linking sites from the same class C IPs. How do I know if they share the same Class "C" IP?

Can different hosts share the same Class C IP? No laughing - I have to learn sometime.

How do I find out if my sites share the same Class C IP?

Thank You - Joe D.
hai Joe...

search engines consider linking btw sites that are in the same c block as triangular linking schemes (though no proof is available to substantiate it).

use this simple tool to find out whether ur site and that of ur reciprocal partners sites are in the same c block...

http://www.ip-report.com/

hope this helps u...

regards,
deepak.c
maildeepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #6
vipjun
young-gun
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 40
vipjun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by maildeepak
hai Mikkel..

i am not an authority in this subject..but i am sure that what u have said may not be 100% correct...just made a search in google..and found an article on ip addresses...

http://www.accordmarketing.com/tid/a...-overview.html

just a gist from the article..






so i guess ur saying that an ip address has all three classes in it is not correct...

another article on ip's.
The above article is talking more about intranets and local area networks.
The term Class A B C ip's they are refering to is how the network is segmented and shouldn't be confused with Internet IP's.

an example would be when accessing your router which is on a Class C local area network 192.0.1.100

In terms of internet domains AAA.BBB.CCC.XXX is the definition you should reffer to
vipjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #7
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW
 
jag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CBE
Posts: 1,000
jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough
Here it is

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...ad.php?t=11839

All the best

JAG


Quote:
Originally Posted by onedodd
Can somebody explain this:
Don't cross-link from any domains that you own or any domains that share the same Class C Block of IPs.
OK I know what cross-linking is but....
I have 5 sites and want to mainly just learn the part about linking sites from the same class C IPs. How do I know if they share the same Class "C" IP?

Can different hosts share the same Class C IP? No laughing - I have to learn sometime.

How do I find out if my sites share the same Class C IP?

Thank You - Joe D.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #8
Jim Westergren
CEO of SEO Fusion
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3
Jim Westergren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The above article is talking more about intranets and local area networks.
The term Class A B C ip's they are refering to is how the network is segmented and shouldn't be confused with Internet IP's.

an example would be when accessing your router which is on a Class C local area network 192.0.1.100

In terms of internet domains AAA.BBB.CCC.XXX is the definition you should reffer to
Can someone confirm this please? I need to know if this is correct. I am on the way to place an order to a hosting company to get accounts on 15 different c-classes on the model of AAA.BBB.CCC.XXX but I need to know if that definition is correct.

Thanks a lot, highly appreciated!
Jim Westergren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #9
modano
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3
modano is on a distinguished road
Good thread,
but do keep in mind it is not gonna help you much if the nameservers are still the same. And even then, you can always look up the owner of the IP adress from arin, and if the owner is the same host....well who knows.... atleast it is something to consider or run a test on.
modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #10
gdtechindia
gdtechindia.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2
gdtechindia is on a distinguished road
people have a strong feeling that different C Class IP links will help the site to get ranked. Links from same IP, even if different websites, do not help much compared to those from different c class
gdtechindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #11
tmoney
OnPoint Creations
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 34
tmoney is on a distinguished road
not fair...

I never had really ever thought of this concept, and have read this thread and are a little disapointed.

I run a web design business, and most of the sites we design are hosted on our own servers. Most of these sites have given us links back to our site, not because we gave a discount in return for them, but because the client was happy to do so for our good work.

While I can see a reason to discount links from some sites in the same C Block, I see it unfair to penalise us in this situation.... What does everyone else think?
tmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #12
Mikkel deMib Svendsen
 
Mikkel deMib Svendsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,576
Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
> see it unfair to penalise us in this situation....

First of all, you are not being penalized. There is a huge difference between "being penalized" and "not being given credits".

Second, fair to who? Search engines only have to be fair to their users not to you. You have the choice of letting the engines index your content or not - how they rank it and what paremeters they prioritize is totally up to them. You are not the "customer" the search users are

There are good reasons not to give as many credits to 1000 links coming from the same IP or C-class as 1000 links from 1000 different IPs. Search engines are not doing this to "penalize you" but because testings have proven to them that this return more better results to the users. It's really that simple.
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #13
tmoney
OnPoint Creations
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 34
tmoney is on a distinguished road
fair enough..

yeah fair enough. I see your point. Nice post.

I fully realise that the search engines have to do things certain ways to best serve the customer, and I have no problems with that. But in any fact I still think it is unfair in my situation, I feel I have earnt these links and wont get full credit for them. Don't worry, im already over it..


cheers.
tmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #14
GHTX6158
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3
GHTX6158 is on a distinguished road
Is website depth key to relevancy & ranking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel deMib Svendsen
> see it unfair to penalise us in this situation....


There are good reasons not to give as many credits to 1000 links coming from the same IP or C-class as 1000 links from 1000 different IPs. Search engines are not doing this to "penalize you" but because testings have proven to them that this return more better results to the users. It's really that simple.
I am a car dealer for a leading brand in a metro area, so keywords are always competitive, and finding an edge is important. I spent some time yesterday with an advertising agency who is proposing building a website for us that will be DEEP. By that I mean they are saying essentially a page will be available for EACH car (new or used) in my inventory. This will obviously be very dynamic and have a lot of relevancy. They are of the opinion Google would rather handle a deep website with lots of relevancy rather than many superficial sites (mom & pop sites was the term they used).

From the standpoint of how many url's are added every day, it makes sense. from what I am seeing on this thread, it looks as though they are off base, though they showed me the results!

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

Gerald H
GHTX6158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007   #15
gazzerman
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3
gazzerman is on a distinguished road
Hi Gerald,

We have a seperate website for every make and model of car - there are many reasons to go with one site and many reason to go with 1000 sites. getting them on seperate Class C ip's is our next step.

Stupid thing is that if there is a solution to us getting our sites on seperate ip's then we will do it (and we are) and the same for all the illigitimate companies out there, so most prevention is pointless.

We have a good reason to have many seperate niche sites and receive many benfits from doing so.

The one question nobody has been able to answer is that if you already have sites that google is aware of on the same Class C IP's can you change google's outlook on your sites if you move them to seperate Class C ip's or will google remember the association?

Cheers
Gary

Last edited by Chris_D : 04-09-2007 at 07:15 PM. Reason: removed self promotional URL drops which don't add to the discussion - see FAQs
gazzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #16
GHTX6158
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3
GHTX6158 is on a distinguished road
Cool Ghtx

Thanks for the reply, Gary. I am inclined to believe this is a good thing, having an indexed page for every car. At worst, it is a loophole Google will eventually close. in the mean time, I think I should take advantage of it.

I am sure Google will remember your different ip's for a certain period of time. If there is a way to span multiple ip's (like a series of 2 or more hard drives set up as a one data storage device in Windows) where you have say 15% of your addresses on 7 different servers, you should end up with what you are looking for. Not sure if software/support is there for this or not.

Can you not have each car page with it's own C class IP? You are going to a unique address with justavaloncars.com. Would be tedious to setup but I don't see why Googles' panties would be in a bind.

Stay in touch,

Gerald
GHTX6158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #17
gazzerman
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3
gazzerman is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your reply Gerald, we are moving to some new servers with unique Class A ip's! We are going to test out some new software I have been writing. I think we have a solution. I am going to try it out over the next 2 weeks and will get back to you with the results. I think we are going with 7 new celeron servers and a master server for the database as the mothership to deal with the load requests.
gazzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #18
GHTX6158
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3
GHTX6158 is on a distinguished road
Unique Class A IPs

G-Man- How did the uniqe Class A IPs work out for you? I am about to launch my new website with each car having an indexed page.

What is your url so I can check it out?


here is mine: toyotaofirving.com


Gerald

Last edited by evilgreenmonkey : 06-01-2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Removed active link
GHTX6158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #19
beu
 
beu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA U.S.A.
Posts: 2,197
beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
No matter what the IP, cross linking between multiple domain names registered to a single party at a single physical address is the problem here folks and not so much the IP. (see: "link farm")

Search engines are ICANN registrars and privy to domain name registration information. If any of your sites have similar registration information and exchange links, search engines know!
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #20
angelfast
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1
angelfast is on a distinguished road
Re: What Are Class C Blocks Of IPs?

Yeah what is that?I don't have a full grasp on that aspect. I'm no expert on that but I am with my car esp.my Saab o2 sensor..=)

Last edited by mcanerin : 09-06-2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary link.
angelfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off