Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2005   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Google Base Uses Jump Pages

It used to be that material in Google Base would take searchers directly to the submitter's web site, if they provided a URL. Now everything routes though Google Base jump pages. Google Base Switches To Force All Searchers Through Jump Pages explains the situation more and why it makes me a bit nervous that we might see Google Base pages someday replacing "real" pages in Google web search. What do you all think?
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #2
Wail
Another member

Wail will become famous soon enoughWail will become famous soon enough
I think it's highly likely.

Google are aiming Google Base at SME's without a real web presence of their own. Google Base gives them one... but only if you can also find Google Base pages in normal GRPs.

It also means Google can double their AdWord impressions for every search which leads to a G-Base page.
Wail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #3
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Nope, Google Base isn't just aimed at those without sites. Yes, it gives that group a new option. But look at this: http://googlebase.blogspot.com/2005/...-of-stuff.html. They aren't going to the time and trouble to tell people about bulk uploading for the "have no site" crowd. That crowd probably doesn't know what XML file formats are at all.

So far, AdWords aren't on any of these pages that I see, though I'm sure that might change down the line.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #4
Wail
Another member

Oh quite. Google Base isn't exclusively aimed at people without web sites - they're certainly right in the middle of the concept though.

Another 2006 use of Google Base will be its merger with Froogle (I predict).
Old 12-28-2005   #5
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Nothing like ending the year with a little controversy.

This has the potential to really change the dynamic of Google.... obviously people will avoid this but it reflects on the deviousness of the future thinkers behind Google....

Next they roll out banners in the search area - well that is what has been discussed on the AOL side to start.....

Where will it all end?
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #6
Wail
Another member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
Nothing like ending the year with a little controversy.

This has the potential to really change the dynamic of Google.... obviously people will avoid this but it reflects on the deviousness of the future thinkers behind Google....

Next they roll out banners in the search area - well that is what has been discussed on the AOL side to start.....

Where will it all end?
I'm not sure it'll come to that. I really doubt we'll see banners in the GeRPS. We've been able to get Google URLs in the GeRPS for a while now; Google Answers is particularly prone to it.
Old 12-28-2005   #7
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
what are Gerps?
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #8
Wail
Another member

Like SERPs but just for Google. GERPs/GRPs are different because they'll include oneBox content such as News, Shopping, stock exchange data, etc.

Edit - er, perhaps Google Base content as extra too, be it in oneBox or not!
Old 12-28-2005   #9
rcjordan
There are a lot of truths out there. Just choose one that suits you. -Wes Allison

rcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to all
Hell, everyone here knows they're just adding ad space "opportunities." Do I like it when they do it? No. Do I like it when I do it? No, but I've done the same thing a half-dozen times when monetization just screamed at me --also done without having made an prior promises.

I also know I'm dancing on a tripwire when I do it. I'm going to alienate and lose a few savvy users in the process, but savvy users are worth losing in a numbers game.
rcjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #10
cryptblade
SEO, International SEO, Mobile SEO, SEO Stocks

cryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud of
I've played with Boogle Base....I mean Google Gase.... anyway - played with it and the jump pages don't really bother me. In fact, it's similar to Craigslist.

I highly doubt that Google would try to pull something like forcing all SERPS to have jump pages tho.

Even if they do - how would that be executed? Would webmasters have to create data for Google's jump page for each page on the website? It just doesnt seem to make any sense.

But great question to ponder....
cryptblade is offline   Reply With Quote