Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2005   #1
jimbojim

jimbojim is on a distinguished road
How many times is a word being searched?

Is there a way to find out how many times a particular word or phrase is being searched for on a search engine?

Jim
jimbojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005   #2
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Yes, you can set up a Google ad and watch your reports for impressions.

You can also use tools such as Wordtracker and KeywordDiscovery. I recommend the paid versions as they have many more functions and are much more useful than the free ones.

Good luc!
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #3
jimbojim

Keywords in Search Engines

Thanks for responding! What I'm looking for is a little different because I don't want to know how many times people are clicking on ads with certain keywords, but how many times people put certain keywords in the search box of a search engine. Does such a tool exist anywhere on the web?
Old 12-28-2005   #4
jimbojim

By the way, I'm looking for a free service. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2005   #5
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Quote:
I don't want to know how many times people are clicking on ads with certain keywords, but how many times people put certain keywords in the search box of a search engine.
That's what running a Google Ad will do. You would want to look at the number of impressions, as opposed to clickthroughs.

Quote:
By the way, I'm looking for a free service.
If your business can't afford to pay for the appropriate tools, perhaps you shouldn't be in business? It really does often take money to make money, and you'll find with the tools mentioned previously that they will make you a lot more than they cost, assuming you have a website that is worth visiting of course!

Last edited by Jill Whalen : 12-29-2005 at 11:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-28-2005   #6
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Is there a way to find out how many times a particular word or phrase is being searched for on a search engine?
There sure is:

Overture Keyword Selector Tool

Quote:
By the way, I'm looking for a free service. Thanks.
There's nothing wrong with that; the Overture tool is 100% free to use.

The figures are over-inflated and therefore not accurate (but neither are the other ones 100% reliably accurate, even the ones that cost), but it's a fabulous tool for getting a good comparative picture of the relative worth of different keywords.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #7
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Personally, I would avoid the Overture tool at all costs. It provides completely erroneous information. Many times it will show keywords as having tons of searches, when in reality they get none. (They were probably just people automatically checking their rankings for the dumb keywords they optimized for which no one was actually searching for.)

If you use only the Overture keyword suggestion tool, there's a good chance you will waste your time optimizing for keyword phrases nobody is actually searching for, in my opinion.
Old 12-29-2005   #8
earlpearl
earlpearl

earlpearl is on a distinguished road
Marcia:

Are you saying that the impressions # for a search phrase in adwords is overstated?

How so?

Dave
earlpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #9
calebw
Caleb W

calebw has a spectacular aura aboutcalebw has a spectacular aura about
Earl:

AdWords doesn't forecast impressions but rather only estimated clicks. I've never found reason to believe actual impression counts reported for an AdWords ad is erroneous.

Marcia's comment to inflation was referencing the Yahoo Search Marketing keyword selector, which is a free tool from Yahoo Search Marketing (formerly called Overture) that tells you how many times a given keyword was searched in the Yahoo index during the previous month.

These figures aren't an exact count of the number of times actual humans search for a given phrase because the query counts include all kinds of query sources - human and non-human (ranking checkers, bots, other requests, etc..).

I personally use a combination of Keyword Discovery, Google AdWords estimates (daily clicks / .02 to guess impressions), and the Overture tool to build estimates for campaigns.
calebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #10
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Marcia's comment to inflation was referencing the Yahoo Search
Marketing keyword selector, which is a free tool from Yahoo Search
Marketing (formerly called Overture) that tells you how many times a
given keyword was searched in the Yahoo index during the previous
month.

These figures aren't an exact count of the number of times actual
humans search for a given phrase because the query counts include all
kinds of query sources - human and non-human (ranking checkers, bots,
other requests, etc..).
Exactly, but when properly used, which takes a bit of time and experience working with it, it is an invaluable tool for gauging the relative worth of keywords and expanding upon keyword possibilities.

I've looked at the prices of the paid services, and they're fine and dandy if someone will pass on the cost to clients. But for someone just starting out who is looking for free information - which IMHO is perfectly fine, there are free tools that provide plenty of valuable information. Having budget means a client can PAY - it does not mean their site has quality or value.

My estimation is that having budget or lack of budget is no indication of whether a site is quality or not, and is not a qualifying element as to whether someone should have a site online or not. If that's so much of a consideration as to whether SEO's take on certain clients then that's their choice - they just shouldn't take on budget clients, and probably don't. But let's not mix economics with quality, because the two are not necessarily congruent.

Besides - some people don't have a site online yet, they're just doing preliminary research to set up the site and therefore can't use Adwords yet. And those preliminary planning stages are *exactly* when the keyword research needs to be done, to plan for proper site architecture and directory structure.

Added:

Quote:
These figures aren't an exact count of the number of times actual
humans search for a given phrase because the query counts include all
kinds of query sources - human and non-human (ranking checkers, bots,
other requests, etc..).
And the paid services know how to screen those non-human and inflationary elements out, so that their figures are filtered, right on and accurate? Or are they subject to the same kinds of discrepancies, inflation and inaccuracies as the free services everyone has access to without paying?

Last edited by Marcia : 12-30-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #11
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Quote:
Or are they subject to the same kinds of discrepancies, inflation and inaccuracies as the free services everyone has access to without paying?
They definitely are, they just don't seem to be as bad as the Overture suggestions.

The Keyword Discovery free tool is almost as good as their paid one. It just doesn't have some specialized extras. I would highly recommend that over the Overture one if you want some great keyword data for free.

Also, you can sign up for just a day at Wordtracker for like $7, which nearly anyone should be able to afford, and which should give you enough time to do plenty of research to get you on the right track.
Old 12-30-2005   #12
calebw
Caleb W

calebw has a spectacular aura aboutcalebw has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
And the paid services know how to screen those non-human and inflationary elements out, so that their figures are filtered, right on and accurate? Or are they subject to the same kinds of discrepancies, inflation and inaccuracies as the free services everyone has access to without paying?
Agreed, they are subject to discrepancies too. And, one thing I have noticed with services like Wordtracker (or any of the other tools that pull their results from meta engines and then apply algorithms to estimate searches in Google, Yahoo, and MSN) is that they come up with really obscure terms that just don't get searched as many times as the estimate. Statistically their methodologies are fairly sound, but in reality it just doesn't always work out.

IMO keyword research is good to a point, but you can't rely on a machine tool to do everything for you. Keyword searching is ultimately a human activity and simply thinking like a searcher and using the words they will use to find what you have to offer often works the best. Don't get me wrong, keyword research tools have their place, but they're a means to an end, not the end in itself.
calebw is offline   Reply With Quote