Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > MSN Search > AdCenter
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2005   #1
dchid
dchid

dchid is on a distinguished road
MSN adCenter & Conversion Tracking Warnings In Firefox

Does anyone get a SSL certificate warning when implementing the MSN AdCenter javascript conversion tracking code and browsing from FireFox or Netscape?

I sent 3 emails to their "Customer Service" asking and each time they told me I had to use IE 5.5 or higher. Each time I explained this is not a problem with the AdCenter interface, but the conversion tracking code and I didn't have control over which browser my customer was using.

I finally called thinking it was an email communication issue, and spent 45 mins on the phone with someone who couldn't grasp what I was asking. I asked to speak with someone who was more "technical" and they said there wasn't anyone else to speak with. I finally had to give up from frustration in trying to explain the problem.

I just can't imagine they would release (even in Beta) a product that could only track conversions of IE browser users. Well actually I can, but how are they going to compete with Google and Yahoo! in the search advertising space?
dchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #2
GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago will become famous soon enoughGuyFromChicago will become famous soon enough
I saw the same warning and pulled the conversion code 5 minutes after I put it in place.

At this point calling support has been like beating your head against the wall and expecting it not to hurt after awhile.
GuyFromChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006   #3
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Looks like it's still an issue, as a reader contacted me today about it. I posted that sad tale over here, MSN adCenter: Firefox Users Need Not Apply; Customers With Firefox Might Not Get Tracked. Checking to see if we can get someone from adCenter to comment more on it.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006   #4
dazzlindonna
Internet Entrepreneur

dazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of light
I can't even sign up for it because I "upgraded" to IE7, which obliterated IE6, and nothing else will do to be able to access the site. Of course, FF doesn't work either. My contact there very "helpfully" suggested I find out how to go back to IE6. Now, hearing you say that FF users aren't even tracked...well, I think I'll wait to sign up till the rest of the world gets to play.
dazzlindonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #5
ewc21
Hong Kong SEO

ewc21 is on a distinguished road
Just wondering

I wonder why does adCenter or some other Microsoft-related applications restrict to certain versions of their products.

I upgraded to IE7 just to find out the difference. At the same time I was opening some applications that used to run in IE6. To my astonishment the supposed upgrade was deemed unsuitable and I had to revert back to IE6.

While IE6 is still being used by many, other browsers hold significant amount of users adCenter could miss.

I imagine it to be related to Alexa which only track visitor behavior only if he/she has the Alexa toolbar.
ewc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #6
toprank
Lee Odden

toprank will become famous soon enoughtoprank will become famous soon enough
I had the same problem with FireFox and then tried MSIE 7 too like Donna and no go, which is too bad because I was looking forward to doing a review.
toprank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006   #7
jdbarden

jdbarden is on a distinguished road
Firefox Extension

I installed the extension IE Tab for Firefox, and now I can login to my account. I'm definitely not going to install their conversion tracking code.
jdbarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006   #8
cline
Aderit Internet Marketing Consulting: www.Aderit.com

cline has a spectacular aura aboutcline has a spectacular aura about
Hopefully Adcenter management will wake up to the fact that lost and untrackable conversions will cause lower ROI measurements for many advertisers, who will in turn lower bids, which will reduce Adcenter revenue, motivating them to recognize and fix the problem.
cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006   #9
adCenter411
Official Rep

adCenter411 is a jewel in the roughadCenter411 is a jewel in the roughadCenter411 is a jewel in the roughadCenter411 is a jewel in the rough
AdCenter and Browser Compatibility

hi everyone,
sorry about the radio silence from me so far on this topic. i wanted to make sure i had the right info from all parties before posting here.

i can confirm that adCenter is not compatible with all web browsers, including Safari, Firefox, and IE7. we know that different users like different browsers, and during this pilot we're testing adCenter with different browsers with the goal of being able to support all of our customers.

once we have a timeline on browser compatibility i'll let you know here on the forum.

as for the conversion tracking issue with Firefox, we're still working on that with our development team and i'll let you know here as soon as i know something.

in the meantime, i'm sorry about the inconvenience you're experiencing. if you have any questions please let me know.

thanks,
adCenter411

Last edited by adCenter411 : 03-10-2006 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the conversion tracking part.
adCenter411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #10
adCenter411
Official Rep

adCenter411 is a jewel in the roughadCenter411 is a jewel in the roughadCenter411 is a jewel in the roughadCenter411 is a jewel in the rough
adCenter / Firefox Conversion Tracking issue - fixed

hi everyone,
good news - we fixed the issue with conversion tracking. so now if you're using adCenter conversion tracking, and a Firefox-using customer visits your web site, they will be tracked, and they will not receive a security pop-up.

thanks for bringing this to our attention, and thanks for your patience while we fixed it. let me know if you have any questions and i'll do my best to answer.

thanks,
adCenter411

p.s. we're still working on adCenter browser compatibility, i'll keep you updated on that.
Old 03-24-2006   #11
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
No Firefox, Safari or IE for Mac

I signed up for the Adcenter pilot and can't get logged in using any of the browsers above from my Mac.

In Firefox, it appears I get into the system but the browser spools indefinitey
at home.aspx. When I click on any of the tabs I get you do not have a valid session or your session has expired message and get redirected to the login page.

It's worse in the other browsers.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #12
seth_wilde

seth_wilde is on a distinguished road
Tracking Code Still Not Working

I finally got around to testing MSN's conversion tracking but it didn't make it past the dev server. It seems adCenter411's response was a bit misleading. Only the non-secured version of the tracking code works with firefox. After testing the https version (our thank you page is https) we were still getting the security warnings.

After contacting support we were told that the https version is not firefox compatible..
seth_wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #13
psurplus

psurplus is on a distinguished road
coming soon?

just got off the phone w/ an msn adcenter support member and they said that before they go live in the next couple months they will add other browser compatibility.

still what is everyone else experiencing? we cant use the checkout code because our firefox users will get a security warning- our checkout page is https so the fix doesnt help us.
psurplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #14
sathi22

sathi22 is on a distinguished road
Re: adCenter / Firefox Conversion Tracking issue - fixed

Hi

Sorry for interrupting you, my project working fine with IE in msn adcenter but it's pop up security msg when the customer checkout the account in Firefox, what i have to do, pls do the needful asap.

thanks

sathi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adCenter411 View Post
hi everyone,
good news - we fixed the issue with conversion tracking. so now if you're using adCenter conversion tracking, and a Firefox-using customer visits your web site, they will be tracked, and they will not receive a security pop-up.

thanks for bringing this to our attention, and thanks for your patience while we fixed it. let me know if you have any questions and i'll do my best to answer.

thanks,
adCenter411

p.s. we're still working on adCenter browser compatibility, i'll keep you updated on that.
sathi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #15
adamap

adamap is on a distinguished road
Re: MSN adCenter & Conversion Tracking Warnings In Firefox

I just tested this issue and it seems to be resolved using firefox.
adamap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #16
sathi22

sathi22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamap View Post
I just tested this issue and it seems to be resolved using firefox.
You said this issue has resoled, could you explain me how to resolve that in my case. i am having ssl certificates, and when trying to order for my customer in the firefox i am getting the "unable to verify the identity of adcenter.msn.com as a trusted site and so on error msg

Thanks

sathi
sathi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #17
adCenter411
Official Rep

Hi sathi22,
Looks like you need to update your conversion tracking code snippet on your website. You can get this when you log in to adCenter:

1. On the Ad Group tab, (from within a new or existing ad group), under Change campaign and ad group settings, click Advanced options.
2. Select the Track conversions check box.
3. In the conversion tracking code snippet window that appears, click Copy Code. Doing so copies the code snippet to your computer clipboard.
If you are using Mozilla Firefox, copy the code snippet by selecting it and then pressing CTRL+C.
4. To paste the code snippet anywhere within the HTML body tags of the webpages that you want to track, press CTRL+V. It is a good idea to place the code in the lower-right corner of the page so it does not detract from your page design.

You can also check out this help topic.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
adCenter411
Old 11-24-2007   #18
philipjohn

philipjohn is on a distinguished road

I tried using firefox as mentioned adamap.. but still no luck. Maybe some other way to resolve it.
philipjohn is offline   Reply With Quote