Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2004   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Google Dance 2004

Of course I decided to pull out my Apple PowerBook at the Google Dance to write on this excellent event. The sun has set and you see these neon green, pink and green objects moving through the crowd of people. I can't get over how nice it is to see SEMs and the SEs together, let alone at the Google Plex.

People I had time to chat with:
- Matt Cutt from Google (rumored to be the GoogleGuy, but he would not provide a confirmation).
- Kevin Lee (did-it.com, we talked SEMPO scandal)
- Brett Tabke (WebmasterWorld, talked SEMPO, forums and the WMW Pub Conference)
- Bruce Clay (he thought I moved or pruned his post at SEW forums on the honestseo.com site, I did not)
- Danny Sullivan (we talked SEMPO and forum)
- Elisabeth (we talked forum)
- Nacho (we talked a bunch, fun and good guy)
- Jim from WeBuildPages (talked a lot as well)
- Joseph Morien (sew forums), David Wallace (sew forums), EGOL (seo chat forum), SEO Guy (seo chat forum)

So what did I get from my conversations with Kevin Lee, Brett Tabke and Danny Sullivan on SEMPO. It seems like most of the board want to stay out of "industry standards" but Danny is pushing SEMPO to get involved. In addition, Kevin strongly believes that Google and the engines should set the standards, not the SEOs. He then said that he is happy he is out of the SEO industry.

I had some forum lurkers and posters stop me to say hello. No one yet checked me into a wall, like I requested in my blog post earlier, but there are a couple more days left in the conference. I'll be posting pictures at my blog (seroundtable.com) because for some reason I am having problems posting images here (I know how to, believe me - I spend a ton of time in forums).
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004   #2
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
Lots of fun although they ran out of beer to quickly! Very impressive, what I saw of the Googleplex and the whole party and everything.

Corresponded with Brett Tabke, Jill Whalen, Scottie Claiborne, Matt Bailey, Danny Sullivan and Barry Schwartz (Rustybrick) as well as several others. Also got to see Garrett French do Karaoke - very interesting. My wife, Irma, tried to get me up there but I chickened out.

Very cool of Google to host a party with so many people. Hopefully they will continue to do this in the coming years, even after they go public.
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004   #3
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Barry, you were among my favorite people to get to know. Behind that great mind and work you do, you're an awesome guy!!!

I also had a chance to talk with a lot of great people, like Tim Meyer (one of my favorite people at Yahoo!, he is very open and authentic), I met with Lex (one of our forum moderators, great person), and many of my friends: Barbara Coll, Elizabeth, Danny Sullivan, Chirs Sherman, Lucas Morea (we're on the same panel on SES), Joseph Morin, Dana Todd, Mike Grehan, Christine Churchil, Brett Crosby (Urchin), and many many more.

I had way too much fun!!!! Can't wait for next year!

Thanks so much Google

Nacho
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004   #4
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I posted pictures of the Google Dance at my blog

Also, Andy posted pictures as well at his blog

Between Andy, the mods and myself, I think we got this thing covered pretty well.
Old 08-06-2004   #5
WebGuerrilla
The terrorist, not the monkey

WebGuerrilla has a spectacular aura aboutWebGuerrilla has a spectacular aura about
Had a good time at the Google Dance. And it's nice to see that Google's colleagues are providing constructive feedback on how they could make the dance better next year.
WebGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004   #6
rustybrick

Now that is funny.
Old 08-06-2004   #7
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
nice find greg!

btw, there's some killer soundbytes from the conference as well that will be really interesting to hear over at http://www.webmasterradio.fm soon
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004   #8
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Hmm...where should I post that Mod dance instruction video Elisabeth?
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004   #9
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebGuerrilla
Had a good time at the Google Dance. And it's nice to see that Google's colleagues are providing constructive feedback on how they could make the dance better next year.
That was way too funny. LOL!

It was nice to talk/see you Greg, util the next one Amigo.

Last edited by Nacho : 08-06-2004 at 10:51 PM.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004   #10
funtent

funtent is on a distinguished road
More pics of GD2004

http://appleswitcher.com/viewtopic.php?p=20395
(scroll down)

I had an AMAZING time at the conference and at the dance. I kept having to pinch myself while at the Googleplex. "Am I really here? Can this really be this big, and this fun? Will they do it again? Their security staff must be going nuts with all the people wandering around. Why oh why did they underestimate the beer supply."

Thanks to every Google person at GD2004, and every panelist at SES SJ 2004. It was more fun than some vacations I've been on.
funtent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004   #11
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtent
Why oh why did they underestimate the beer supply."
perhaps they do not want search engine engineers getting a bit too tipsy and telling the SEOs how to completely reengineer the code
Old 08-09-2004   #12
garyp

garyp is a jewel in the roughgaryp is a jewel in the roughgaryp is a jewel in the roughgaryp is a jewel in the rough
A story about "a party" at the Googleplex in today's San Jose Mercury News.
garyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004   #13
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Bit of a dig at Yahoo in there... I think we were all recuperating from the night before and some additional drinking done at the Marriott bar afterwards...
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004   #14
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Its pretty hard to top Google's parties. They are a class act.
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004   #15
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Morin
Its pretty hard to top Google's parties. They are a class act.
I would have to agree they are a class act... they have definitely moved into the real world of customer service and support. I have an army of people helping me at Google. The past 12 months have seen changes to the people (most of whom have gone to other areas to share their success model) and the number (has grown in relation to the budget).

Yahoo and Overture try but they have not made the committment of attempting to staff the larger markets.

They think local search is going to be big... local search support would be big too.
That being said the reps I have at Overture are knowledgeable and friendly and very helpful...

damn am I a brown nose!
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote