Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2006   #41
Big Juice

Big Juice is on a distinguished road
Not sure if this is the same thing…

A while ago I mentioned in a thread about a test I was running on hyphenated domains and how the various engines handled them. Of the big 3, Google was the only one that wouldn’t even acknowledge the spammy-hyphenated domain’s right to exist within their indexes. No problem there, just wanted clarify in my own mind that the site wouldn’t get indexed by Google.

Along with the spammy-hyphenated domain test I was also trying a few other things out and was rewarded in the other 2 engines with good placement for some competitive terms. To conduct this test I used a new domain that had never been set up on a server before. Prior to running this test, I new that after the test was finished I would want to make a real site out of the original content that was created.

Having given Google enough time to index the site it became quite clear that Google simply wasn’t going to index the site. I used all of the standard ways of testing for inclusion in their system and it seemed that there was no way Google was ever going to acknowledge this spammy-hyphenated domain. Again, no problem there.

Seeing as I created some great content and wanted to turn this into a real site, I thought it might be interesting to see how Google would handle a proper redirection from the spammy-hyphenated domain to a brand new domain. Much to my surprise Google started ranking this brand new domain for some of the same keyword phrases that the other 2 search engines were ranking for.

Did this redirection from a spammy-hyphenated domain to a new domain beat the age delay? Hard to say for sure without running another test but I am not sure I want to acquire another questionable domain. Perhaps someone out there in the land of SEO has a spammy-hyphenated domain that they would like to run this test type of a test on? I will be conducting another redirection test to the age delay within Google and I will post my findings should anybody be interested.
Big Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #42
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Quote:
Did this redirection from a spammy-hyphenated domain to a new domain beat the age delay?
The aging delay doesn't stop you from getting indexed, you get indexed just fine, it only stops you for ranking.
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #43
Big Juice

Big Juice is on a distinguished road
I didn't mean to imply that the age delay was preventing my test from being indexed, the test was to see how Google would handle the Spammy-hyphenated domain. The spammy-hyphenated domain was not being indexed by Google and this was verified by doing the simple site:domain query. When running that query Google always defaulted to the domain that only used a single hyphen and not the triple hyphen I was running my test on.
Big Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #44
SEO1

SEO1 can only hope to improve
Hi

The only problem with trying to circumvent a sandbox is there isn't one

Let me show you a sandbox killer ..

It is called traffic boys and girls and will do nothing but positive things..

Anyone watching myspace??? Another ebay in the making

Now lets take a look at some myspace cast offs

* Traffic Rank for myspacetweaks.com: 37,027 (up253,168)

* Speed: Slow (73% of sites are faster), Avg Load Time: 3.0 Seconds (what's this?)

* Other sites that link to this site: No Data

* Online Since: 27-Aug-2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------

* Traffic Rank for myspacenow.com: 27,161

* Speed: Very Slow (97% of sites are faster), Avg Load Time: 8.3 Seconds (what's this?)

* Other sites that link to this site: No Data

* Online Since: 08-Oct-2005

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Impressive sky rocketing results and most rank for myspace myspace codes tweaks cheats hacks etc.

I will agree terms are not that competitive yet.....maybe who knows with the speed this site is blazing..

But the basis and core of my thoughts as well as the changes in the definition of a sandbox site lead me to surmise there is no such thing as a sandbox

There is a lag for quality check.....

There is a penalty or filter for link zealots for lack of a better term

DavNs suggestion while it works would bring issues with ithe time frame required really doesn't make it any quicker getting past the delay and also is a deceptive tactic once caught will probably result in some penalty or filter
SEO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007   #45
geeurbie

geeurbie has disabled reputation
Using Subdomain & Redirection

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilleds
Hello mate...

...I was at SES too - And I distincly remember one of the guys stating 'Google Hates Subdomains'...and Mike Grehan, said '...the sandbox doesn't exist...'.

Make of that what you will.
I was not there but I'm glad somebody is paying attention... What I have been reading here sounds a lot like black hat stuff to me... All that I know for sure is that I practice white hat SEO and I get results... First page results across MSN, Yahoo, and Google for my three web sites... I have never been in a Google sandbox... I don't use tricks just plain old good content, effective use of META tags, page titles, and page descriptions!!!
geeurbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #46
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Nobody ever claimed that anything was black hat or white hat, where did you see reference to that?

But WOW! How old are your 3 sites, when did they go up, and how commercially competitive are your search terms?

Incidentally, this thread was started over a year and a half ago, any reason it was bumped?

Last edited by Marcia : 06-18-2007 at 02:25 AM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #47
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
All that I know for sure is that I practice white hat SEO and I get results... First page results across MSN, Yahoo, and Google for my three web sites...
Arggghhhh.... I guess DaveN should have tried to find out how you do SEO two years ago, back when he started this thread.

Quote:
I'm glad somebody is paying attention...
The last post made in this thread was January, 2006 - a year and a half ago.

Good morning, how's the coffee smell today?
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #48
geeurbie

geeurbie has disabled reputation
Getting out of the Google sandbox

It may have been an old thread put... But I still see stuff almost daily about this sandbox of Google's... I never have experienced it... But I did sorta with MSN... All that I know for sure it that my cleaning service websites (2), my housecleaning tips blog (national), and my SEO site are all doing well... First page well
Also from most of what I read a lot of people believe this to be true. That there is a sandbox. I have read thes great explanations and they seem to make sense.... However, my three websites have never been in that sandbox... And it seems that the guys from Google who should know say it aint so... So I will go with Google.... And my own experience on this one.
As far as it being an old thread...!
geeurbie is offline   Reply With Quote